mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

Just for comparison. Portsmouth made a loss of £1.4m last season in League One with a wage bill of £5.8m.

Sunderland have a wage bill of £14m. The parachute payments are the only thing keeping them afloat and they come to and end next season. That's when the shit is really going to hit the fan and their support is going to realise that what a chancer Stewart Donald is just before they go bust.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ewerk said:

Just for comparison. Portsmouth made a loss of £1.4m last season in League One with a wage bill of £5.8m.

Sunderland have a wage bill of £14m. The parachute payments are the only thing keeping them afloat and they come to and end next season. That's when the shit is really going to hit the fan and their support is going to realise that what a chancer Stewart Donald is just before they go bust.

They only have the parachute payments as long as Short receives his payments otherwise they default to him if I recall correctly.

I think if they go up, they will get some manner of further investment - they must have some plan for this. But I also think that spending £4m on Grigg underlines that they're pretty desperate to go up this year.

If they don't, I think a lot of the bigger names will be moved on out of absolute necessity - and then they're back at a rebuilding job for next season with a lot of bog standard League One players.

Edited by Rayvin

There's surely a couple that have done enough at a promotion chasing team to get the attention of teams in the Championship? Surely?

That said, they're not saleable assets in the same strata as Pickford, or... well, you get the point. Their best player went to Bordeaux for buttons, I can't imagine Honeyman or whomever pulling in the £18m they'd need to break even. 

Staying down in League One would put off investors that have enough capital to assure them of promotion to the 2nd tier (still funny), so cost -cutting measures will inevitably follow. Scouting, coaching, medical staff will be let go. Which of their high earners are coming to the end of their contracts? Because no fucker is going to pay money for Cattermole, and certainly not match his current wages. 

Of course, if they have to release/sell a load of playing staff, that's another unsettled season of 'rebuilding'. 

:lol:

14 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I think Cattermole and Oviedo - not stars but on big money. Oviedo I suspect will move on this summer, although as Fish says, Cattermole might be a challenge.

I'm sure Cattermole took a 40% cut on his wages whey they were relegated last season. He'll still be on top money in the league he's in. I cannot see many Championship teams wanting him based on ability. Methinks the makems are stuck with him. 

1 hour ago, Coventrysam said:
  Hide contents

Coventry fan here never seen a such a bunch of deluded small man syndrome muppets in my life

Hope they get to wembley and bottle it again   

They really, and inexplicably, hate you guys. It's fascinating.

First time I’ve seen them this season, League One is absolute dog shit. The Doncaster players win the ball in their box and as they pass each of them keep controlling by turning back towards their own goal :lol: just putting immediate pressure on themselves as they have to then turn around to pass or clear. 

They currently have a thread about how kids will be starting primary school and there hasn’t been a Newcastle win over the tramps in their lifetime. When someone pulled him up saying it’s been 8 years his response was “unless we get back to back promotions it will be though” :lol: they can’t honestly think they’re gaining some moral high ground on this as they’re too fucking shite to be in the same league as us. 

• Haha 1