mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

5 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

The league is delaying it to keep them from getting promoted apparently.

The ghost of Gordon McKeag is directing his football league successors to block it, a cabal of current Tyneside businessman are enforcing Gordon's wishes. 

• Haha 5

What's the story though? They're a midtable League 1. They were maybe news worthy when they suffered double relegation, but there weren't many stories about Portsmouth or Leeds in their seasons in the darkness, right?

The daft thing is, they fell into that league when Ellis Short owned them.  Now you would be hard pushed to call Short a good owner of Sunderland because he put his trust in too many wrong people and made too many knee jerk decisions.  But he certainly didn't criminally mismanage them like Ridsdale did with Leeds.  Short put his hand in his own pocket time and time again and when he left he did it in a way that tried to help them as much as he could, writing off what they owed him.  They just constantly wasted the money he gave them.

They are now in their third season in league one and are currently showing very little in the way of signs that stay is coming to an end (with the caveat that they are still not a million miles away from being in the promotion picture points wise).  As Fish says, the story was their relegation.  Their continuing inability get themselves out of the mess they put themselves in is no more of a story than it was for Leeds while they were down there too.  And Leeds had a much greater fall from Champions League semis, League Champions just before the start of the premier league era and being a major force English football in the 60's & 70's.  Sunderland have had one cup win in the 70's which was their only success since the 30's.  About half the rest of the time they spend out  of the top flight and have had, I think, 6 top ten finishes since the 40's.  They like to write off our credentials with us only having the Fairs cup since the 50's but we've had 7 top ten finishes this century and 8 seasons in some form of European competition (yes I'm including the Intertoto because hey, it's better the Anglo Italian) so we are known around the world.  They simply are no more relevant that Shrewsbury who beat them last night.

• Like 3

The other perplexing thing about this is what they think would happen if they did get the media attention they want? Somehow that would force the club into spending money or hiring a new manager or whatever it is they think the problem is? All it would do is remind people that they're a joke.

The media are doing them a favour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Kelly said:

They just constantly wasted the money he gave them.

This summarises why they are where they are perfectly. 
Short gave ridiculous money, to their multiple managers, who all, without exception, managed to piss it all away on absolute shite. 
I can’t remember which player it was, but they only recently stopped paying the bloke years after he left the club. 

Their managerial merry-go-round is really something else, and their slavering mob of orcs have played their part in it. 

Fucking joyous to watch it all slowly unfold :lol:

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

The other perplexing thing about this is what they think would happen if they did get the media attention they want? Somehow that would force the club into spending money or hiring a new manager or whatever it is they think the problem is? All it would do is remind people that they're a joke.

The media are doing them a favour.

I guess they want the media to say 'there, there'? 

It burns them that nobody cares about them aside from their local rivals. Even then, more and more they matter less and less. As with Portsmouth and Leeds they thought where they fell from is where they should be and the degree of attention shouldn't change. They are a well supported League 1 side, who were in the top flight more recently than any of their opponents, but that's it. They're not down there on a holiday any more, they've moved in. I wonder how well attended they'd be were it not for COVID? 

It's hard to say I guess - they do still think of themselves as temporary residents in League 1, just beset each year by incompetence. But increasingly they're losing the players and status that such an argument relies on.

I actually think the worst outcome for them in the short term would be promotion tbh - they'd soon realise just how far they've fallen.

52 minutes ago, Tom said:

Why doesn’t he just take the other companies to court? Surely he’d make millions. 

Oh...it’s not a real drink.

:lol:

Also, he was taken to court (and lost), over the design, which he ripped off directly from Whyte Bikes. 
stw-2019-05-17-whyterich.jpg

I believe he’s yet to pay them for their legal costs and court-mandated compensation. 

• Haha 1