mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

25 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:

I love it when @Howay goes full radge on the mackems- he’s so angrily eloquent. 

There’s some crackers in there, my favourite being “voiding their bowels”. Sheer poo-etry!

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Kitman said:

There’s some quackers in there, my favourite being “voiding their bowels”. Sheer poo-etry!

4 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

duckno.gif

Opportunity missed- see me after class. 

• Haha 1

Saw something on twitter that; their parachute payments are gone, 13 of their players are out of contract, also McGeady gets a contract extension because he featured in the Play Off loss?

So, they have to completely rebuild a promotion challenging team. That's expensive. They'll be paying over the odds for players because they're still a 'big club' for League 1. They'll be paying over the odds because they've a billionaire owner. They'll end up getting stiffed because their owner is inexperienced, and will likely end up spending £5m on anyone with a popular chant. 

In 17/18 their broadcast revenue was £95.6m, in 19/20 it was £17.2m (and 59% of their total revenue), in 20/21 broadcast revenue was £2m. I can't see how they can build a squad essentially from scratch, that's capable of pushing for promotion, when their revenue is so small.

But, on the bright side, they can laugh at us because of that one time a fan punched a horse.

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Saw something on twitter that; their parachute payments are gone, 13 of their players are out of contract, also McGeady gets a contract extension because he featured in the Play Off loss?

So, they have to completely rebuild a promotion challenging team. That's expensive. They'll be paying over the odds for players because they're still a 'big club' for League 1. They'll be paying over the odds because they've a billionaire owner. They'll end up getting stiffed because their owner is inexperienced, and will likely end up spending £5m on anyone with a popular chant. 

In 17/18 their broadcast revenue was £95.6m, in 19/20 it was £17.2m (and 59% of their total revenue), in 20/21 broadcast revenue was £2m. I can't see how they can build a squad essentially from scratch, that's capable of pushing for promotion, when their revenue is so small.

But, on the bright side, they can laugh at us because of that one time a fan punched a horse.

That's an incredible drop in revenue, mind. You have to wonder at what point that does lasting damage to the club tbh. I suppose the consequence is that they're now very much reliant on their fans - but with their attendances so low the potential impact of even that is greatly diminished.

I think Dreyfus is going to have to bankroll them out of the league really.

Their revenue has obviously dropped due to performances and covid. A few decent players at League one level which shouldn't be that hard and they'll be happy chumps. 

They are already drawing up a short list for a new manager including Roy Keane and Jimmy Hasslebank and will cope with just one keeper in the squad. 😄

Don’t forget the wonderful day out at Wembley that they couldn’t even go to when they won the Papa Smurf Cup. Then there’s season 3 of the Netflix docu-soap-comedy show to look forward to. That’s been a lucky charm, hasn’t it? It’s their equivalent of Sheff Wed’s brass band 

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, t00nraider2 said:

Their revenue has obviously dropped due to performances and covid. A few decent players at League one level which shouldn't be that hard and they'll be happy chumps. 

They are already drawing up a short list for a new manager including Roy Keane and Jimmy Hasslebank and will cope with just one keeper in the squad. 😄

Are ‘they’? :lol: 

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

That's an incredible drop in revenue, mind. You have to wonder at what point that does lasting damage to the club tbh. I suppose the consequence is that they're now very much reliant on their fans - but with their attendances so low the potential impact of even that is greatly diminished.

I think Dreyfus is going to have to bankroll them out of the league really.

Definitely, but how does FFP impact lower league clubs? Is it possible for their owner to throw tens of millions at the club to try and cover the loss of Parachute Payments?

I wouldn't be surprised if attendances are down across the board, post COVID. They had c30k in 19/20, I'd not be shocked if that was down to <20k for the 21/22 season. So gates, sponsors, broadcast revenues are all down and they've a huge rebuild on their hands. Dreyfus will have to bankroll it, as best he can, right?

41 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Wasn't Short getting the parachute payments anyway? Think Mcgreedy waived his contract clause

He must have. There are Chanpionship clubs after him apparently so I'm sure he's got no fancy to play another season in League one. 

If it turns out Wyke's season was a fluke then they will be aiming for the playoffs again next season. You would imagine Sheff Wed will walk the league 

Wasn’t there a story that FFP didn’t apply to league 1/2 because they didn’t vote on it / agree to it? Just the championship clubs did iirc. Not that it means the new owner is going to start hoying tens of millions at the club. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s already realised his mistake 

They imposed a salary cap or something like that though, at club level? i.e. you have to have your overall salary spend within defined parameters consistent with the rest of the league. That fact alone should make bankrolling more difficult. It makes them more sustainable longer term though, arguably - but means they need to escape L1 by being a well constructed and managed team - something they've not managed to be in decades.

They're still restricted to spending a max of 60% of turnover on wages. Obviously that's gone out the window during the pandemic. If they get tickets sold and the boy millionaire can get his mum to use one of her companies to take a generous sponsorship deal then they should have plenty to spend.

• Like 1

He’s not going to throw money at them anyway, he talked about sustainability when he took the majority shareholding. It’s also questionable how much money he personally has isn’t it? He’s heir to billions (along with his 4 other siblings) but his mother is head of the family company and from a quote I saw in an article which said “He will not flare up: it is not in his nature, and his mother, anyway, would not let him.”, sounds like his mother allowed him to buy the tramps...