mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

FO8VNxsWYAoqF4P.jpg

It’s one of Deano’s best formations that mind. 

Nice little Sitka as Libero, Norwegian Pine as a False 10, and Douglas Fir as Trequartista. 

#field #shrubs #lawnsmowed #£500aweek

• Haha 10

6 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

FO8VNxsWYAoqF4P.jpg

It’s one of Deano’s best formations that mind. 

Nice little Sitka as Libero, Norwegian Pine as a False 10, and Douglas Fir as Trequartista. 

#field #shrubs #lawnsmowed #£500aweek

Don't get Fish started

Saw this in a thread about the article in the Athletic where they've adjusted the transfer fees paid for some big name players into todays market. So, Shearer's £15m would be £220m in todays market. 

image.thumb.png.54bc61e39a9fc0476b10048f455b413e.png

They're also insisting Shearer wasn't as good as Henry (that's not what the article is about), that Phillips would be worth £150m (that's not what the article is about).

:munch: 

Edited by The Fish
  • Haha 1

So Shearer benefited from playing at a time when there were no good goalkeepers, but that only he was able to benefit from it. That's his argument in full.

If goalkeepers were shit, every other forward of his generation would look "better" as well. And so they would have all been worth more. And so Shearer, relative to other forwards, would have been worth... exactly the same.

If he'd gone in claiming other forwards were shit then that'd be one thing, but calling out keepers as the reason Shearer looked so good is just fucking stupid.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

“Shearer’s career was a fluke” :lol: 

Not just the odd goal, his entire career. 

There were no good goalies. Zero.

Schmeichel, Seaman, Martyn, Flowers, Big Neville Southall, de Goey, off the top of my head.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

So Shearer benefited from playing at a time when there were no good goalkeepers, but that only he was able to benefit from it. That's his argument in full.

If goalkeepers were shit, every other forward of his generation would look "better" as well. And so they would have all been worth more. And so Shearer, relative to other forwards, would have been worth... exactly the same.

If he'd gone in claiming other forwards were shit then that'd be one thing, but calling out keepers as the reason Shearer looked so good is just fucking stupid.

These are excellent points. But you're forgetting one important thing.

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

Well he was recognised as being the 3rd best player in the world when there were players like Ronaldo, Weah, Batistuta and Sowper Kev playing in the same position so he can’t have been that lucky 

• Haha 3

That BBC Newcastle one was something. Had a look and it's almost like the actual topic of discussion just delays them getting to the actual point of the messageboard, calling each other mags or general in-fighting.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Saw this in a thread about the article in the Athletic where they've adjusted the transfer fees paid for some big name players into todays market. So, Shearer's £15m would be £220m in todays market. 

image.thumb.png.54bc61e39a9fc0476b10048f455b413e.png

They're also insisting Shearer wasn't as good as Henry (that's not what the article is about), that Phillips would be worth £150m (that's not what the article is about).

:munch: 

:lol: It’s honestly one of their biggest fucking delusions that Phillips was anywhere near Alan Shearer as a player. No wonder they can’t discuss football properly when they think players like Kevin Phillips and Jermain Defoe were world class ffs.  

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: It’s honestly one of their biggest fucking delusions that Phillips was anywhere near Alan Shearer as a player. No wonder they can’t discuss football properly when they think players like Kevin Phillips and Jermain Defoe were world class ffs.  

Did Shearer ever win the European Golden Shoe? Well, did he?

Did Shearer ever score the winner for Sunderland in the derby?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Howay said:

Think I’ve said this before but when Phillips was in his prime there were about 5 better English  centre forwards 

• Like 4

I think they once admitted that the golden shoe that Phillips won wasnt actually open to English forwards the year Cole scored 36 (3 more than Ratboy managed another year)  or when Shearer scored more for Blackburn - not sure of the provenance of this or it might have been that Shearer and Cole were outscored by Albanian goatherders playing in a league with no nets as the basis of the competition took no account of the league or the number of games played.

It's another one of their "truths" that Phillips was fucked over by England somehow - as Alex mentioned there being several established players better than him is never mentioned.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Alex said:

Think I’ve said this before but when Phillips was in his prime there were about 5 better English  centre forwards 

Aye, ZERO appearances for England in competitive matches.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NJS said:

I think they once admitted that the golden shoe that Phillips won wasnt actually open to English forwards the year Cole scored 36 (3 more than Ratboy managed another year)  or when Shearer scored more for Blackburn - not sure of the provenance of this or it might have been that Shearer and Cole were outscored by Albanian goatherders playing in a league with no nets as the basis of the competition took no account of the league or the number of games played.

It's another one of their "truths" that Phillips was fucked over by England somehow - as Alex mentioned there being several established players better than him is never mentioned.

I think Mario Jardel scored a lot more than Phillips but that season the Portuguese League was downgraded so Uefa only counted his goals x 1.5 whereas the top league goals were counted x 2. I used to buy World Soccer a lot back then and it sticks in my memory for some reason. 

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Is it really called a golden "shoe"? :lol:

Aye :lol: I’d always referred to it as the golden boot for that and the top scorer in the World Cup and Euros but I think Golden Shoe is the proper name :lol: 

According to Wiki, it wasn't formally awarded between 91 and 96 - covering Shearer' and Cole's years - McCoist scored more than Shearer in his blackburn years and Cole was outscored by someone playing for Portmadog in the welsh league.

Henry won it twice for Arsenal when it was formally resinstated after Phillips.

I think Phillips was a cracking little player to be fair, but he wasn't in the same category as the likes of Shearer. I loved David Kelly Quinny, Goddard and McGhee but even though I can genuinely say Shearer isn't in my top favourite NUFC players I can say without question he was the best striker we've had in my time and probably better than most of the rest of the league's strikers in my time too. I can absolutely see why the mackems revere Phillips though, I mean, there's only really Gabbiadini who comes close and he was strictly prolific second  division striker as well. 

• Like 3