mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

5 hours ago, Rayvin said:

What is it that he does well in his actual game that allows him to score so much? "Well" in this case meaning better than average for most PL players. 

His technique, whenever I see him, is ok. Aerial play is ok. Maybe positioning is what he's so good at?

Obviously I do accept that he must be very good at something, but like fuck can I describe what it is :lol:

I don't think I'll ever rate him but again suspect that I'm just wrong.

Apart from lacking a bit of pace, he doesn’t really have any weaknesses as a centre forward and he scores loads of goals. To say his aerial ability and technique is ok is massively underselling his ability imo

• Like 2

I mean, I might underrate those abilities but clearly most of you lot don't.

I don't think I've ever watched the guy and thought "damn, what a player". Granted, I don't watch spurs and only vaguely follow England, but whenever I see him he looks devoid of ideas and in need of someone else to do most of the heavy lifting for him.

I think Wilson is a more technically gifted player even if he's not as prolific.

I'm very aware that this is a minority view and that I am very likely wrong, but I just haven't seen what everyone else sees I guess.

• Like 1

He’s got the fourth best goals to game record in PL history playing in a side that’s never challenged for the title. The notion that he’s overrated or a slightly better than average PL striker is patently nonsense.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Kane is class. I'd love it if we could bring him here.

There's been an outbreak of crazy talk in the last few posts on here.

he is a class goalscorer, and i disagree with rayvin and ATP.

however, i'm going to caveat that by saying i don't think he's the sort of player that would suit us. even if we were willing to pay the £120m fee, or if he was prepared to sign for us (he won't be).

he isn't the athletic centre forward that would work best in howe's system. we need someone with bags of pace who can lead the press. kane will be a brilliant signing for someone. just not us. 

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

he is a class goalscorer, and i disagree with rayvin and ATP.

however, i'm going to caveat that by saying i don't think he's the sort of player that would suit us. even if we were willing to pay the £120m fee, or if he was prepared to sign for us (he won't be).

he isn't the athletic centre forward that would work best in howe's system. we need someone with bags of pace who can lead the press. kane will be a brilliant signing for someone. just not us. 

Does he need that speed if we have pacey players around him? He's never been particularly fast but always scored goals, the good thing about that is that he can probably continue scoring into his mid thirties.

I think Man U's new owners will want to make him their statement signing and he could do very well there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Does he need that speed if we have pacey players around him? He's never been particularly fast but always scored goals, the good thing about that is that he can probably continue scoring into his mid thirties.

I think Man U's new owners will want to make him their statement signing and he could do very well there.

yeah, maybe not but i think we'd have to change how we play. howe's teams have looked at their best when the centre forward has led the press from the front. it doesn't work if the two wide men press high with intensity but the centre forward can't keep it going.

wilson was able to do it before the world cup, isak looks like he can do it. wood couldn't do it. i don't think it suits kane's game but don't get me wrong - i'd be absolutely buzzing if we did sign him (not going to happen). 

8 hours ago, Rayvin said:

What is it that he does well in his actual game that allows him to score so much? "Well" in this case meaning better than average for most PL players. 

His technique, whenever I see him, is ok. Aerial play is ok. Maybe positioning is what he's so good at?

Obviously I do accept that he must be very good at something, but like fuck can I describe what it is :lol:

It's not just his finishing, which is excellent, it's his movement, touch, intelligence and his technique too.

In terms of finishing; he's had 6 seasons in the PL where he's put 20+ goals away, and throughout his career he's averaged about 0.7 goals a game, 0.6 a game without penalties or slightly better than 1 goal every 2 games. Dunno where you stand on xG (and I'm not looking to get into an argument about that) but he consistently exceeds his xG. Which means that he scores even more goals than you'd expect given the chances he's had. 

His movement is excellent how often do his goals look like an easy chance? It's more often than not because he's chosen the right time to make his run to the back post, or his dart to the near posts forces one defender to block another. 

You can see the intelligence and technique whenever he drops deeper and propels Spurs up the pitch with sprayed passes or really clever subtle touches. 

I think while Harry Kane suffers from being interminably dull off the pitch, nothing on the pitch is particularly exciting either. Even his 30 yarders don't, I dunno, feel(?) thrilling. There's something almost pedestrian in their excellence? He's so professional, so practised that it's not impressive. He never beats a player with something unpredictable like Henry did, he's not got tonnes of pace, he's just a little sharper, a little stronger or a little smarter in the moment. 

• Like 6

:lol: Yet again attract people by doing something actually note worthy? Nah marra build a bigger stadium than them up the road and slap some cladding over the fact it looks shite so it becomes somewhere people travel to just to look at (is this a thing? I’ve never traveled somewhere to just look at a stadium :lol:). They really are absurd, even just casually throwing in that they’ll get promotion and European competition :lol:.

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Not trying to change your mind as a lot of it is subjective if you just don’t rate him but (as much as I dislike him) he’s an absolutely quality player. His technique when hitting the ball is amazing, he so rarely hits the ball when off balance or badly shaped as his timing and technique are brilliant - I think Fish hit the nail when he discussed Kane being dull, there’s little flair to his game he’s just a very solid technical player. His passing range is similarly fucking brilliant, which is a trait Rooney and Shearer also had. 

You can’t score the amount of goals he does with the consistency over the long term that he has and not be a quality player. Not sure why ATP mentioned that putting Kane in the same breath as Phillips is a joke, Phillips was a decent PL striker who had one season close to what Kane manages basically every season. Spurs have held him back rather than elevate him iyam, if Kane had went to a truly top side his goal return would be even more staggering than it already is. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Howay said:

Not trying to change your mind as a lot of it is subjective if you just don’t rate him but (as much as I dislike him) he’s an absolutely quality player. His technique when hitting the ball is amazing, he so rarely hits the ball when off balance or badly shaped as his timing and technique are brilliant - I think Fish hit the nail when he discussed Kane being dull, there’s little flair to his game he’s just a very solid technical player. His passing range is similarly fucking brilliant, which is a trait Rooney and Shearer also had. 

You can’t score the amount of goals he does with the consistency over the long term that he has and not be a quality player. Not sure why ATP mentioned that putting Kane in the same breath as Phillips is a joke, Phillips was a decent PL striker who had one season close to what Kane manages basically every season. Spurs have held him back rather than elevate him iyam, if Kane had went to a truly top side his goal return would be even more staggering than it already is. 

What?! Then what are we all doing here? 

Jesus!

• Haha 2

My feelings on Kane used to be the same as Rayvin in his first few premier league seasons.  None of the goals he was scoring looked particularly good.  They didn't have the elegance of Henry or the power of Shearer.  Lots of them seemed to be scuffed in and I just couldn't see how it was sustainable in the longer term.  Then scored more, and more and more and aside from those years when he just couldn't score in August, he has never stopped scoring.  The shear weight of those goals makes it impossible to ignore him.  It can appear to be luck for so long, but when it relentlessly keeps on happening you have to accept it's more than that.

I'd add that also when I watch him these days I see him dropping deep collecting the ball nearly always doing something positive with it.  Not in an exciting looking way but just in a supremely competent way.  He'll never be remembered for beauty (in any sense) but he will be remembered as a great striker.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: Yet again attract people by doing something actually note worthy? Nah marra build a bigger stadium than them up the road and slap some cladding over the fact it looks shite so it becomes somewhere people travel to just to look at (is this a thing? I’ve never traveled somewhere to just look at a stadium :lol:). They really are absurd, even just casually throwing in that they’ll get promotion and European competition :lol:.

:lol:

Fucking Hell. "If KLD* has deep pockets." Well, guess what Skylon, the murderers that own us do have deep pockets, we are in the conversation for Champions League Football, one of our central midfielders is worth more than your entire squad. In the queue to host a CL Final, you're so far back you can't even see it.

I've seen some impressive stadiums, even gone out my way to have a look at them, but they were in Turin, or Amsterdam where I was on holiday. Can't imagine tourism is a big part of Sunderland's economy. I've seen some deluded horseshit on there, but who the fuck is going to go to fucking Sunderland to see the IKEA-quality, litter-filled shithole they call the Stadium of Light? Even with 20k more empty seats and a bit of slipshod render to hide the corrugated iron?

* KLD man, after the shit they gave us for calling Benitez 'Rafa'. 

• Haha 4