mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

14 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Has anyone seen the state of Luton’s ground? You have to go through the backs of people’s houses to get in the away end.

image.png.46ee93f5bc0b1f16840fa9706f31c7c3.png

Fucking tremendous isn't it, beats the shit out of a flat pack, industrial estate shit hole.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If Luton get promoted don't they get slapped with an immediate £10m bill to bring the ground up to standard? They're 10k short of required capacity amongst other issues. Dunno if they've got a ground share planned or something.

£10m in the context of PL cash is fuck all mind but it's not ideally how you'd want to spend the cash.

24 minutes ago, Alex said:

Filbert Street used to be like that too. 

There was an entrance to Highbury between/below two terraced houses too, still being used at least to the end of the 90s :cuppa: 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Has anyone seen the state of Luton’s ground? You have to go through the backs of people’s houses to get in the away end.

image.png.46ee93f5bc0b1f16840fa9706f31c7c3.png

I think I first went there in 80 or 81 (Mick Harford scored the winner for us) and it hasnt changed since. 

There was a lot of fanfare when the PL started about grounds having to be up to scratch and I think Fulham were the first ones to really need an upgrade. 

Luton is a whole other level of not good enough. 

13 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

There was an entrance to Highbury between/below two terraced houses too, still being used at least to the end of the 90s :cuppa: 

I think the Emirates is one of the nicer new stadiums and Highbury was definitely too small once all-seater grounds came in. But there’s no comparison in terms of character imo

• Like 1

Just now, NJS said:

I think I first went there in 80 or 81 (Mick Harford scored the winner for us) and it hasnt changed since. 

There was a lot of fanfare when the PL started about grounds having to be up to scratch and I think Fulham were the first ones to really need an upgrade. 

Luton is a whole other level of not good enough. 

That side where it’s all just boxes btw. :lol: It looked shit back then 

20 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think the Emirates is one of the nicer new stadiums and Highbury was definitely too small once all-seater grounds came in. But there’s no comparison in terms of character imo

emirates is massively helped by the fact it’s in a nice part of London with loads of good places to go for for drink and food before and after the match. Spurs, not so much. 

Of all the new grounds I’ve been to the worst by a country mile is “the London stadium”. What a fucking bizarre and tedious match day experience that is 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

emirates is massively helped by the fact it’s in a nice part of London with loads of good places to go for for drink and food before and after the match. Spurs, not so much. 

Of all the new grounds I’ve been to the worst by a country mile is “the London stadium”. What a fucking bizarre and tedious match day experience that is 

It’s funny like because it’s not all that long ago the area around King’s Cross (and the station itself) and to the north of there was a fucking tip. 

45 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

aye, an abomination. 

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s funny like because it’s not all that long ago the area around King’s Cross (and the station itself) and to the north of there was a fucking tip. 

Still has a seedy underbelly if you know where to look

Willem Dafoe Smile GIF

• Haha 5

45 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Still has a seedy underbelly if you know where to look

Willem Dafoe Smile GIF

:lol: Aye but it’s not like its heyday. You couldn’t get out the station without being accosted by several aggressive Glaswegian beggars or, upon leaving, cross the road for a greasy spoon breakfast without some old boiler asking ‘do you want business, love?’

I take it you went to Bagley’s on the odd occasion too? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Highbury and Craven Cottage are my all time favourite away grounds for obvious reasons . I really like Emirates from the outside too, inside the experience isn’t great though, the seating in the lower section is far too shallow an incline for a decent view, that goes for the whole stadium not just the away section 

• Like 1

So apparrently it's the 40th anniversary of the film "Local Hero". I have't seen it for years so must get round to watching it again if I can find it. 

Anyway, one mackem starts an innocent thread on it. Can you guess how long it takes to descend into pure fewm about us using the eponymous Knopfler song at SJP, he was Scottish not a Geordie, anyway Blyth's not in Newcastle, neither was Gosforth before 1974, more added fewm about Sam Fender, and then veering off to tirades about "Washy Mags"?

First reply. I now I shouldn't but they're just so damn funny. :lol:

image.png.e941835f136e0243d499a755713ffd80.png

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Highbury and Craven Cottage are my all time favourite away grounds for obvious reasons . I really like Emirates from the outside too, inside the experience isn’t great though, the seating in the lower section is far too shallow an incline for a decent view, that goes for the whole stadium not just the away section 

As has been said, I think with Highbury it was the fact it was proper old skool set in a residential area, which seems to be the case with the "Kenny" except taken to even bigger extremes (never been there). Goodison is similar, with that church incorporating one of the corners. In general I prefer it when clubs develop thier historic grounds but the Emirates was done right, and Everton's their new ground on the docks looks like it will be good. Not been to the London stadium but heard from multiple sources how shite it is. If I was a West Ham fan I'd be pissed at swapping Upton Park for it, whatever the financial gains were. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

As has been said, I think with Highbury it was the fact it was proper old skool set in a residential area, which seems to be the case with the "Kenny" except taken to even bigger extremes (never been there). Goodison is similar, with that church incorporating one of the corners. In general I prefer it when clubs develop thier historic grounds but the Emirates was done right, and Everton's their new ground on the docks looks like it will be good. Not been to the London stadium but heard from multiple sources how shite it is. If I was a West Ham fan I'd be pissed at swapping Upton Park for it, whatever the financial gains were. 

I’ve only been to London Stadium once and it was a Saturday tea time ko. The Olympic park is like a post apocalyptic concrete wasteland at dusk, there’s fuck all atmosphere wise to suggest there is going to be a sporting event of any kind let alone a football match . Eerie, and inside it’s fuckin nonsense. No wonder a load of hammers are gutted they fucked it off now they’re on the verge of a European final. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

:lol: Aye but it’s not like its heyday. You couldn’t get out the station without being accosted by several aggressive Glaswegian beggars or, upon leaving, cross the road for a greasy spoon breakfast without some old boiler asking ‘do you want business, love?’

I take it you went to Bagley’s on the odd occasion too? 

image.gif.8bb206b17d2b4a04a7ffded77ac9c9dd.gif

• Haha 1