mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

Aye, they've realised the 27 year old who's spent a decade playing for shit French teams and was hawked around every premier league team last summer isn't actually a gem they've unearthed, but rather a bang average defender who had a purple patch for a few games. They should have taken Everton's hand off

:lol: Aye it's not really a shocker is it, how many players come into the league look okay for a 10 game spell and then end up being poor ffs.

Poyet in the Guardian

“There’s something inside Sunderland, something at its very core,” he says. “It’s hard to explain but there’s a way of life, something deep down, that makes it difficult to fulfil its potential. Niall Quinn criticised me for saying so but later talked about ‘gremlins’; then Paulo Di Canio talked about that moment when you get your head above the parapet and … bang! There’s something there, something I couldn’t find. If I knew what it was I’d say but I don’t. But it’s there and needs to be changed at the root.

“I played at Sunderland with Chelsea. We lost 4-1 and I left thinking: ‘That was spectacular.’ The passion was explosive. They had Quinn and Kevin Phillips and it was a good moment. Peter Reid was there: an absolute phenomenon but a year later, the same fans were shouting at him from behind the bench. You can’t say that with Quinn and Phillips he’s a good coach and without them he’s not but he went.”

Others go, too; the best player’s destiny is to depart. “A player has a good season, and [someone takes him]. It makes no difference if they give you £20m for him – £20m doesn’t replace him and doesn’t solve anything. The year I arrived they told me Mignolet, Henderson and Rose had been the best; [soon,] Mignolet wasn’t there, Henderson wasn’t there and Rose had returned to Spurs. By January the players giving me exactly what I needed were Keane, Alonso and Borini. All on loan, and they all went.

“So then I go. Dick Advocaat comes in and the blame lies with the last coach and his signings. So you sign new players for the new manager. And then that manager goes and the blame lies with him and his players. So the new manager signs new players. And in comes Sam Allardyce. And then he goes and now David Moyes is there and he has what’s been left him by previous coaches and you can’t go on like that. You just can’t. It’s impossible. Because when you start from zero every year – every year – you stay at zero.

Pretty damning.

They do look like they may be beyond rescue this year. Particularly without their customary 4-6 points off us. How long will they stick with Moyes? They might be best off investing in a long-term solution like him, even if it means relegation this year.

There's a thread dividing them on RTG, one half think the current squad would piss the Championship if they went down, the others think they'd struggle to break into the top half.

I'm not sure Allardyce would go back there tbh. He doesn't need the money and the club is going nowhere whilst Short is in charge. He probably would have walked before the start of the season anyway off the back of the woeful transfer window

Well, he mightn't struggle to get a job but it still won't be at a club in the top half. Which says a lot about what it takes to become England manager these days.

Yeah it'll be the same sorts of jobs he's always had. I reckon he might get Stoke if they dispense with Hughes. Maybe West Brom post-Pulis. Someone like that.

Yeah it'll be the same sorts of jobs he's always had. I reckon he might get Stoke if they dispense with Hughes. Maybe West Brom post-Pulis. Someone like that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him at Palace if they finish 16th or lower.

There's a thread dividing them on RTG, one half think the current squad would piss the Championship if they went down, the others think they'd struggle to break into the top half.

Defoe, Kone and Kirchoff would fuck straight off if they left.  What's left beyond that would clearly struggle as they wouldn't have a striker for a start.

Defoe, Kone and Kirchoff would fuck straight off if they left.  What's left beyond that would clearly struggle as they wouldn't have a striker for a start.

Dunno if Defoe would leave to be honest. He's on a decent wage even with any relegation clause and he'll be 36 next year. He's out of the International scene and I can't imagine he'll have another top flight club coming in for him that can offer the same wages he'll be on.

Their biggest problem will be their finances and the fact that there will likely be clubs sniffing around their younger players like Watmore and Pickford. Those two might not be good enough for the Premier League at the minute, but they'll likely be 1st teamers in the Championship. Some mid-table side may fancy taking a punt on a young 'keeper getting plenty of games at the minute, for their bench. And some newly promoted/just survived team may fancy taking a punt on a young forward player in the Shane Long mould.

Dunno if Defoe would leave to be honest. He's on a decent wage even with any relegation clause and he'll be 36 next year. He's out of the International scene and I can't imagine he'll have another top flight club coming in for him that can offer the same wages he'll be on.

Their biggest problem will be their finances and the fact that there will likely be clubs sniffing around their younger players like Watmore and Pickford. Those two might not be good enough for the Premier League at the minute, but they'll likely be 1st teamers in the Championship. Some mid-table side may fancy taking a punt on a young 'keeper getting plenty of games at the minute, for their bench. And some newly promoted/just survived team may fancy taking a punt on a young forward player in the Shane Long mould.;

Really don't see any chance of him staying.  I still think other clubs would look at him at that age and even if it's not premier league, I think he'd want to move back down south.

I think you're overestimating Watmore comparing him to Long.  He's just a ginger Forrest Gump.  Last time I heard even their fans thought there wasn't enough pitch for him to run into.