mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Wiping out the money they owe him is one thing, but paying off the external creditors is another. If he's done that, they should erect a statue for the poor sap. Bank rolling them, spending a fortune on players and managers, the man's a saint.

Don't they still owe money on transfers too?

It's bollocks mate, hence the deliberately vague statement on the issue

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Wiping out the money they owe him is one thing, but paying off the external creditors is another. If he's done that, they should erect a statue for the poor sap. Bank rolling them, spending a fortune on players and managers, the man's a saint.

Don't they still owe money on transfers too?

Given their record with commemorative sculpture, I reckon a “Thank You” card would suffice. :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

It's bollocks mate, hence the deliberately vague statement on the issue

His statement said something like "I'm leaving the club debt free". I think it's crazy but I don't see how we can spin that any other way than "I have paid off the debt".

Just now, Rayvin said:

His statement said something like "I'm leaving the club debt free". I think it's crazy but I don't see how we can spin that any other way than "I have paid off the debt".

The question is what has he got in return? This idea that he's suddenly turned into Santa Claus and paid the debt off is what I'm taking issue with. There's nothing to suggest that's happened, if it had he'd have been more open and said that was the case. Yet that seems to be what they think has happened

Apparently on Twitter talking about turning the floodlights off during night games in spring to cut costs.

Truly the dawn of an exciting new age.

Edited by rob032
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

The question is what has he got in return? This idea that he's suddenly turned into Santa Claus and paid the debt off is what I'm taking issue with. There's nothing to suggest that's happened, if it had he'd have been more open and said that was the case. Yet that seems to be what they think has happened

Rationally, from a business perspective, you must be right. I think I saw something about him needing to be repaid if the club gets back to the PL in 5 years (which if you think about it, is almost an incentive for them to delay for year 6).

But maybe Short does actually just like the club, or does actually recognise that his reign was an unmitigated disaster. Stranger things have happened.

Given their ridiculous wage bill, bloated running costs, and that they’re not presently generating any income, I’d say that by the time Donna takes over, they’ll be back in debt to roughly the same amount he’s actually worth. 

7 minutes ago, rob032 said:

Apparently on Twitter talking about turning the floodlights off during night games in spring to cut costs.

Truly the dawn of an exciting new age.

:lol: What a tight bastard. Probably only one type of pie available at half time: Pastry

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Rationally, from a business perspective, you must be right. I think I saw something about him needing to be repaid if the club gets back to the PL in 5 years (which if you think about it, is almost an incentive for them to delay for year 6).

But maybe Short does actually just like the club, or does actually recognise that his reign was an unmitigated disaster. Stranger things have happened.

I bet he fucking hates the club. At the very least he was absolutely desperate to get rid

8 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Given their ridiculous wage bill, bloated running costs, and that they’re not presently generating any income, I’d say that by the time Donna takes over, they’ll be back in debt to roughly the same amount he’s actually worth. 

:lol: That's a good point actually, it cost Short about £0.5m a week over the period he owned it. Given the clip of their current predicament I would imagine they'll have run out of money by the time the season starts

40 minutes ago, Alex said:

IF he can stabilise the club and IF he can get them promoted to the Championship within a season or two then IF he can make them a mid-table side on a tight budget and IF he can then sell the club to someone willing to invest a bit of money they'll be in a decent position. But that's the best possible scenario for them at the minute looking at the next 3-4 seasons. Obviously nobody knows what lies around the corner but it seems implausible they're about to start spending lots of money any time soon.

Aye that’s what this blokes plan is. Stabilize the spending, and try to get them up. Of course as you say it’s big if’s as getting out of League One while trying to run a profit is very difficult (and will get harder after 1 year when the next 3 drop from the Championship). He will then aim to sell if he can get them in the Championship. 

I know the mackems think there’s some mystery backing but imo this bloke is it. Who the fuck would have the owner of Eastleigh as the frontman? It makes no sense. 

I also agree with Quiff, Short hasn’t fucked off without clauses. He will have took the remaining parachute payments, it’s also possible that he’s took ownership of the stadium and will lease it to Del Boy Trotter. Obviously it’s all guesswork but I find it canny hard to believe the bloke will essentially write off £130m (plus what he paid for the club since he gave it away) after 10 years of utter hassle and abuse. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

:lol: That's a good point actually, it cost Short about £0.5m a week over the period he owned it. Given the clip of their current predicament I would imagine they'll have run out of money by the time the season starts

:lol: I reckon he’s going to sell what he can (Borini, Lens, and whoever else is out on loan, maybe Kone for 500k etc) and he’ll use that money to essentially cover the contracts of blokes on massive wages.

That obviously leaves them in a rough position of having the same wank, unmotivated squad with fuck all to spend. This is where “the Don” works his magic, switch the lights off, no free bottles of water, etc and they’ve got themselves some transfer funds. Honestly I have no idea how any of them are positive, they’re fucked. 

1 minute ago, Howay said:

Aye that’s what this blokes plan is. Stabilize the spending, and try to get them up. Of course as you say it’s big if’s as getting out of League One while trying to run a profit is very difficult (and will get harder after 1 year when the next 3 drop from the Championship). He will then aim to sell if he can get them in the Championship. 

I know the mackems think there’s some mystery backing but imo this bloke is it. Who the fuck would have the owner of Eastleigh as the frontman? It makes no sense. 

I also agree with Quiff, Short hasn’t fucked off without clauses. He will have took the remaining parachute payments, it’s also possible that he’s took ownership of the stadium and will lease it to Del Boy Trotter. Obviously it’s all guesswork but I find it canny hard to believe the bloke will essentially write off £130m (plus what he paid for the club since he gave it away) after 10 years of utter hassle and abuse. 

That's possible re: the parachute payments and that would see them severely hampered next year and then it drops from £35m to £14m the year after that. Time will tell I guess but there's no billionaires waiting in the wings imo. As you say they've got the club now and (bar the silver lining regarding this clearing of the debt) there's been no positive news for the club since we went down / they stayed up two years ago basically. Everything is about cost-cutting so why the fuck would any sugar daddies stay anonymous even after the deal has been sealed? Still, despite what they claim about us, I honestly can't think of a more delusional set of fans about their place in the world.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: I reckon he’s going to sell what he can (Borini, Lens, and whoever else is out on loan, maybe Kone for 500k etc) and he’ll use that money to essentially cover the contracts of blokes on massive wages.

That obviously leaves them in a rough position of having the same wank, unmotivated squad with fuck all to spend. This is where “the Don” works his magic, switch the lights off, no free bottles of water, etc and they’ve got themselves some transfer funds. Honestly I have no idea how any of them are positive, they’re fucked. 

:lol: I still think they'll be alright next season (on the pitch anyway). There must be a hell of a gap because Wigan and Blackburn (albeit probably better placed than Sunderland are now) came up automatically with a bit to spare and even Rotherham (who were miles adrift at the bottom of the Championship in 2016/17) finished 4th. The Championship the season after though?

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

:lol: I still think they'll be alright next season (on the pitch anyway). There must be a hell of a gap because Wigan and Blackburn (albeit probably better placed than Sunderland are now) came up automatically with a bit to spare and even Rotherham (who were miles adrift at the bottom of the Championship in 2016/17) finished 4th. The Championship the season after though?

Their team is too dysfunctional/lacking character at the minute for any kind of title charge imo. They'll be alright re: avoiding relegation because of the quality of the division but big changes required if they're going to push for promotion to the pub league. They've got different challenges than those Wigan/Blackburn faced with pisshead players, rotten core etc

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Their team is too dysfunctional/lacking character at the minute for any kind of title charge imo. They'll be alright re: avoiding relegation because of the quality of the division but big changes required if they're going to push for promotion to the pub league. They've got different challenges than those Wigan/Blackburn faced with pisshead players, rotten core etc

To be honest it's mainly based on what Rotherham were able to do but I haven't seen enough of League 1 to be able to comment about the quality properly

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye it’s a weak league as they really are hitting the bottom rungs of the Pro tiers (think the average salary is something like £50k-£100k a year) so I could see them stabilizing down there. The issue for them will be getting out of the league tbh, as the longer they’re in it the harder it’ll be. They should fucking forget about the PL though as they’re a million miles away from that now. 

1 minute ago, Howay said:

Aye it’s a weak league as they really are hitting the bottom rungs of the Pro tiers (think the average salary is something like £50k-£100k a year) so I could see them stabilizing down there. The issue for them will be getting out of the league tbh, as the longer they’re in it the harder it’ll be. They should fucking forget about the PL though as they’re a million miles away from that now. 

It's alright they don't want to be in it, game is dead because of money etc. Wasn't when they were in it of course

• Haha 1

They all seem largely obsessed one of Stewart’s mates that is involved is a pr bloke. Apparently that’s class and is just what they need, they do know most clubs (likely including their own) have pr staff, having one as an owner is no benefit.

• Haha 2