mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

2 hours ago, Alex said:

:lol: Marcus Stewart 

Absolute legend of the game. They misnamed a major central Australian highway after him in anticipation of how great he was going to be.

They are turning on Jack Ross now, then it’ll be the playing squad and then they will be back to exactly as they were under Short

The only difference being they are in league one now and their owner isn’t a billionaire that could dig them out of it if he wanted to.. he’s some random bloke called Stewart Donald or is it Donald Stewart, whatever 😂

• Haha 1

:lol: It’s going to be great when that Stewart starts giving them grief back. He comes across as a right loudmouth prick, so I don’t see him taking stick off that rabid bunch without firing back. 

• Haha 5

Yesterday I travelled with the men of the “Dorset Yellows” via minibus to the ancient seat of learning that is the city of Oxford, dreaming of a flagon or two of fine ale amongst the dreaming spires and the beautiful butter-coloured Cotswold stone architecture of that fair town, only to arrive at the Blackbird, the only pub on the 1960s council estate Blackbird Leys, which older posters may remember was the scene of a large scale civil disturbance in the early 90s around the same time as Meadowell went up. Interesting pub for observers of social habits (or nosey bastards as they’re sometimes known, like me)  as there appears to be two bars, one for the  significant and long standing Caribbean community on the estate and one for those who may be termed “locals”. That’s not to say that there wasn’t a lot a cross pollination, but it was there none the less. This also affected the drinks on offer, Red stripe in cans & on draught also that really good Caribbean Guinness in bottles. 

So so we made our merry way to the nearby Kassam, a three sided concrete monstrosity that is a tribute to absolutely every single fuckin thing that is wrong with football in the 21st century, to be greeted by a horde of troglodyte orcs clad in red & white, grunting vaguely familiar chants that they may well have appropriated from a near geographical neighbour. Oxford are down in the basement of league 1 (and their utterly passionless crowd is indicative of this)  but you couldn’t separate them in terms of quality from their simian visitors yesterday afternoon, both sides were fuckin abysmal. I have no idea if Will Grigg who couldn’t get a game at Wigan will turn out to be the signing they need to kick start their “promotion charge” because they appear not to have anybody who can provide any worthwhile service to him. He was anonymous, unlike ex QPR plastic jock knob jockey Jamie Machie, who busily lead Oxfords attack but missed three guilt edged chances in the first half alone. This invetibly lead to a mackem goal in first half injury time, a mess of a corner with their two gangly colt-like centre backs basically causing a “rummle” in the Oxford penalty area before some other mackem buffoon stabbed it home. Second half lots of huffing and puffing before the thrilling denounemont, a glorious counter attack by the Oxford winger who was the best player on the park by a mile who cut the ball back for substitute Browne to slide it home. Now there may have been an individual in the Oxford crowd quite close to the mackem section who was definetly  old enough to know that running across seats to ram their shitty fuckin “big fish small pond” arrogance right back down their scrawny in bred throats was something that they definitely shouldn’t do under any circumstances. But I’m a right cunt for that sort of thing :D

The evening was spent visiting the fleshpots of the Cowley Road, including the best Brewdog pub I’ve ever been in, a couple of delightfully dreadful 80s discos and a curry which we initially refused to pay for due to the 90 min wait we had to endure. Also possibly influenced by the 12 hour drinking session that was at that point very quickly unravelling. I think some money changed hands and the chef with the meat cleaver went back to the kitchen. 

So there you go, I am indeed that newly common species “Mag who watches the divi 3 mackems hoping to see them get beat” :) 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Now there may have been an individual in the Oxford crowd quite close to the mackem section who was definetly  old enough to know that running across seats to ram their shitty fuckin “big fish small pond” arrogance right back down their scrawny in bred throats was something that they definitely shouldn’t do under any circumstances. But I’m a right cunt for that sort of thing :D

:spit:

9 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

The evening was spent visiting the fleshpots of the Cowley Road, including the best Brewdog pub I’ve ever been in, a couple of delightfully dreadful 80s discos and a curry which we initially refused to pay for due to the 90 min wait we had to endure. Also possibly influenced by the 12 hour drinking session that was at that point very quickly unravelling. I think some money changed hands and the chef with the meat cleaver went back to the kitchen. 

So there you go, I am indeed that newly common species “Mag who watches the divi 3 mackems hoping to see them get beat” :) 

Aye it's nice like! I stayed in Oxford last week as I was visiting my lass. She studies there but we were off to the Spurs game. Some of the pubs were class and it's a great place to walk around and visit the education institutions I'm probably not clever enough to clean for a living. 

That Brewdog pub was canny, I don't like the beer but she's keen. Ginger bloke behind the bar put loads of Radiohead on for me. (Having already been to the Jericho, we left because they didn't have the football on).

1-1 is a good effort for Oxford City mind :lol: 

• Like 1

Once spent a couple of days recovering from a NYE Helter Skelter in Oxford. The recovery was in Oxford rather than the rave. I have vague recollections of it being quite nice 

Edited by Alex