mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

6 hours ago, NJS said:

According to Fish's analysis, they have to win 10 out of 20 games to get a total in the region of what meant survival last year. 

I'm still mildly hopeful because of that. 

c50pts has been enough for survival, which means they'll need about 7pts from every 5 games. 2 wins and a draw and two losses, or 1 win and 4 draws. The former is more likely of the two, and neither is likely.

However, I cannot imagine Short failing to put enough into the club to keep them up. Selling a struggling Championship club is one thing, selling a League 1 club is a whole other barrel of fish. That's got to be terrifying enough to force his hand?

4 minutes ago, adios said:

Has the calamitous start Coleman's made not led you to readjust your expectations?

I thought they were onto a winner with him and punching well above their weight (for the moment) but I'd say they're almost certainly fucked now bar a miracle January.

He's significantly improved their PpG and GA, although they're scoring fewer. If Short backs him in the window, as I anticipate he'll feel forced to, I think they'll see a further up tick.

2 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Grabban has already been firing though. Do you think John O'Shea has it in him to drag them to safety? :lol: I'm confused as to what you think might happen.

Coleman has it in him to get a side onto about 1.4PpG which should be enough for survival.

Just now, The Fish said:

c50pts has been enough for survival, which means they'll need about 7pts from every 5 games. 2 wins and a draw and two losses, or 1 win and 4 draws. The former is more likely of the two, and neither is likely.

However, I cannot imagine Short failing to put enough into the club to keep them up. Selling a struggling Championship club is one thing, selling a League 1 club is a whole other barrel of fish. That's got to be terrifying enough to force his hand?

If there's cash going into the business do you think the external creditors will want it squandering on new players or paid to them? I'm not even sure Short has the money. He was a 'dollar' billionaire in assets, he's put a lot of cash into them over the years and at some point turned to interest-heavy external creditors. What little cash he does have I doubt he'll fancy putting into them, throwing good money after bad

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Coleman has it in him to get a side onto about 1.4PpG which should be enough for survival.

Show your work.

Edited by adios

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

If there's cash going into the business do you think the external creditors will want it squandering on new players or paid to them? I'm not even sure Short has the money. He was a 'dollar' billionaire in assets, he's put a lot of cash into them over the years and at some point turned to interest-heavy external creditors. What little cash he does have I doubt he'll fancy putting into them, throwing good money after bad

If it were to keep them in the Premier League I'd agree that it's unlikely that Short would stump up his own cash. But realistically League 1 is football oblivion, Blackburn, Leeds and Portsmouth have never really recovered. Those warnings should surely convince Short to stump up the tens of millions it'd require to plug the gaps in that Sunderland side?

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

If it were to keep them in the Premier League I'd agree that it's unlikely that Short would stump up his own cash. But realistically League 1 is football oblivion, Blackburn, Leeds and Portsmouth have never really recovered. Those warnings should surely convince Short to stump up the tens of millions it'd require to plug the gaps in that Sunderland side?

Who'd join them even if he did? Nobody, it isn't going to happen either. He was rumoured to be willing to sell the club for £60m or something so he isn't going to spend 10s of millions in what would likely be a futile attempt at stopping up. To quote my mackem marra their players are wankers, an injection of quality won't fix that

7 minutes ago, adios said:

Show your work.

Seasons with Sociedad, and his stint as Wales manager returned about 1.4 PpG

Even his runs with Fulham in the Premier League returned about 1.25PpG

Not familiar with his work at Sociedad, but he was in a much healthier position at Fulham.  There's no way in hell this window is going to fix the rot at that club. 

And Wales have a couple of cracking players who are probably worth .4 of those points themselves. ;) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, adios said:

How much do you think it would actually take?

No idea, if Grabban does go? We spent £15m on Gayle in a less inflated market. Don't think they need someone as good as Gayle, but a reliable Championship striker like Daryl Murphy could do a job for what, £6m?

They need a CB, some pace on the flanks... I am literally grabbing numbers, but £20-£30m?

4 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Who'd join them even if he did? Nobody, it isn't going to happen either. He was rumoured to be willing to sell the club for £60m or something so he isn't going to spend 10s of millions in what would likely be a futile attempt at stopping up. To quote my mackem marra their players are wankers, an injection of quality won't fix that

Money talks, and has always been a decisive bargaining chip for teams who're a bit more remote. If Short doesn't spend, the club won't be worth £60m because it will be in League 1, with Jack Rodwell still pulling £50k or whatever it is. So while throwing £30m at the club may seem to be putting 50% of his asking price on a gamble of staying up, failing to guarantees their relegation and the evaporation of any hope of getting close to his asking price.

Just now, The Fish said:

No idea, if Grabban does go? We spent £15m on Gayle in a less inflated market. Don't think they need someone as good as Gayle, but a reliable Championship striker like Daryl Murphy could do a job for what, £6m?

They need a CB, some pace on the flanks... I am literally grabbing numbers, but £20-£30m?

I think that's cloud cuckoo land for Sunderland right now.  I'd be less surprised if they spent 10% of that.

Just now, adios said:

I think that's cloud cuckoo land for Sunderland right now.  I'd be less surprised if they spent 10% of that.

They could still get money for Ndong, Kone, Khazri (is he still there)? There might be some of their young lads that clubs higher up the league might fancy taking a chance on. Say they pull £10m from player sales, and Short ponies up another £5-£10m, that £15m-£20m would be 10x what the other sides around the Championship relegation spots could spend.

Sunderland shouldn't be in this shit, even though their team is crap and their manager is average. They're still better than Burton Albion on paper, ditto Bolton and Birmingham. Their problem is they didn't overhaul the squad enough, they didn't use the relegation as an opportunity to clean the slate. 

I want to be clear Sunderland are a shitshow, but if those responsible make all but the stupidest decisions, they should survive.

3 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

DLDLDLLLDDL. That reads like the name of the supermarket where i do my weekly shopping

And it sounds like a description of your posts.

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Money talks, and has always been a decisive bargaining chip for teams who're a bit more remote. If Short doesn't spend, the club won't be worth £60m because it will be in League 1, with Jack Rodwell still pulling £50k or whatever it is. So while throwing £30m at the club may seem to be putting 50% of his asking price on a gamble of staying up, failing to guarantees their relegation and the evaporation of any hope of getting close to his asking price.

You're absolutely off your tits Fish

1 minute ago, Tdansmith said:

It didn't go over my head, however I'm still trying to work out what a fudge panda is.

:lol:  It wouldn't be easy to work out.

A Spanish mate of mine a long time ago thought the phrase "fudge packer" was "fudge panda" and it stuck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1