mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

I think they can get away with the 9-1 tbh, isn't it their club's record win? And against their bitter rivals too. I mean I feel no shame about it or whatever but I get that it's something that they would cling on to.

The 6 in a row bit makes way less sense to me. At least two of those games they were lucky as fuck, and as others have said, if it had been the other way around, I don't think I would have given it a moment's thought beyond just thinking "huh, that's an interesting statistic". I would be, and am, far more interested in our rival (if you can even call them that) club being relegated into oblivion.

I mean our record win is 13-0 right? I find that interesting to think about every now and again :lol: 

If someone told me that we had a 10 game win streak against Middlesbrough, I don't think I'd care at all. It's like one of those facts they put in pre-match rambles to try and give a sense of history to the whole affair.

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Everyone who ever witnessed that 9-1 is long dead, how can they get away with that? :lol: Who is that supposed to wind up? The very fact that their two de-facto things to brag about involve us is the most damning thing of all tbh

Tea Bags hadn't been invented yet.

The 9-1 game was before substitutes wasn't it?  I'm sure I read somewhere that they kicked us off the park and this was something that regularly used to happen in games hence a lot of big scores back then. 

Not that it matters in the slightest.  I can understand them going on about the six in a row more than that result tbh.  It's completely bizarre that they keep bringing it up yet barely mention that they've actually won the league more times than us.  I mean either way it's things that very few living people have ever seen (or none in the case of the 9-1) but surely more league titles is something to be more proud of?  Clearly they don't feel like they beat us to win those leagues or they'd never shut up about it.

But as has already been said, the six in a row has ultimately hurt them far more than any of them can grasp.  Their club would have benefited greatly from relegation much earlier than when it finally came and they were in such a dreadful state that there is a more than outside chance they will suffer successive relegation's and administration.  If I was them I'd be so embarrassed about the state of the club the last thing I'd be doing would be dredging up insignificant wins for them against us in the past.  Thankfully I'm not one of them though.

6 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

The 9-1 game was before substitutes wasn't it?  I'm sure I read somewhere that they kicked us off the park and this was something that regularly used to happen in games hence a lot of big scores back then. 

Not that it matters in the slightest.  I can understand them going on about the six in a row more than that result tbh.  It's completely bizarre that they keep bringing it up yet barely mention that they've actually won the league more times than us.  I mean either way it's things that very few living people have ever seen (or none in the case of the 9-1) but surely more league titles is something to be more proud of?  Clearly they don't feel like they beat us to win those leagues or they'd never shut up about it.

But as has already been said, the six in a row has ultimately hurt them far more than any of them can grasp.  Their club would have benefited greatly from relegation much earlier than when it finally came and they were in such a dreadful state that there is a more than outside chance they will suffer successive relegation's and administration.  If I was them I'd be so embarrassed about the state of the club the last thing I'd be doing would be dredging up insignificant wins for them against us in the past.  Thankfully I'm not one of them though.

Aye. They didn't even have subs at the 1966 World Cup, man :lol: Although I think it was allowed in 60s in English football but only one (and only then for an injury).

If you think about it the 6 in a row is probably the worst thing that has happened for their club the last decade or so. It painted over every single crack in that club and there's no way they'd be in the situation they're in now. At least Ellis Short was interested in the back then. Right now he couldn't give a shit that theyre dropping like a stone.

Trouble is, they'll point to their double relegation as proof that an earlier relegation wouldn't have benefited them at all. 

Getting relegated would have meant fewer jokers on big wages, fewer seasons spent in the bottom 4, and fewer weekends spent leaving the stadium early after another insipid display. But, as has been said, 9-1,6-in-a-row, FTM, Rafa Beneathus and all that. :lol: 

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Parachute payments are much more generous now than they were a couple of years ago. They're basically the only thing keeping Sunderland going at the moment.

Any idea how a second relegation impacts the parachute payments?

15 hours ago, ewerk said:

I don't think it does. The payment will be reduced regardless of whether they stay up but not massively. It really dips in the third year though.

They've still got a few big earners, don't they? 

According to Transfermarkt Jack Rodwell's contract doesn't run out until 30/06/2019. His reported weekly wage (£70k) is worth more than some League 1 club's transfer budget.