mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

:lol:

I remember a few weeks ago, a (probably drunk) Man City fan went on there to blow smoke up their collective arses about how awesome Sunderland was (massive club, genuine fans, lovely people, blah blah), having watched that documentary on Netflix. They were of course receptive, but then I noticed over the next few days, several threads along the lines of "What makes Sunderland such a special and unique club" with opening posts like "We all know it, people from all over talk about Sunderland fondly with many positive things to say about the long suffering fans, we're well loved marras - but what is it that makes us such a fucking special club?". It seems like the slightest bit of praise they receive from anyone has to be magnified and blown up out of all proportion. That Man City fan probably left thinking he was their new fucking hero. He's probably got a key to the fucking city by now.

It's a desperation to be liked. And honestly, I'm not sure this exists for other clubs. I swear it's just them. Can anyone think of any other club this desperate to be loved by someone, anyone? Even North fucking Korea will do.

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's a desperation to be liked. And honestly, I'm not sure this exists for other clubs. I swear it's just them. Can anyone think of any other club this desperate to be loved by someone, anyone? Even North fucking Korea will do.

It really is, no one like them at all.

Theres a reason "no one likes us, we dont care" is an oft repeated chant all over the place.

• Like 1

I don’t know how anyone could watch that documentary and think highly of that fan base. They came across very badly imo, which is very telling of what they’re really like considering it was made by a bunch of mackems who iirc in another doc they made had the subtitles or voice over say Maradona wanted to play for Sunderland when he really said Sheffield United. 

As a football club they’ve played something like 2 games in Europe in history, this is why they’re champing at the bit to always create these intangible properties to their crappy club. It was classy until the club wide backing of a sexual predator, recently it’s been this ‘special club’ nonsense despite being at best a run of the mill fan base support wise (their ticket sales are shite, even needing to give free tickets away during their PL stints). They just need to wake up and realize they’re shite, they’re owned by blokes that have a lower net worth than many PL footballers, they’ve weirdly become even more arrogant as their club nose dives even further down. 

Shitty wretched little club with a shite fan base, I honestly don’t know how they can think themselves as some great support group when among other things in recent years they have; gave vocal support to a pervert, harrassed both of their best PL era managers (Reid and Bruce) throwing bananas and abuse at one and never accepting the other in anyway and ignoring his achievements at their club as he was born in Newcastle, and racially abused the mother of one of their best players in the PL era. All you have to do is watch when either Grabban or Bent score against them in that documentary, those are not the reactions you’d expect from former players of a club with a really special support. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

With its appalling human rights record, awful standard of living and widespread poverty and famine, I can't see how Sunderland would be an attractive choice for your average North Korean fan.

• Haha 9

If they do win it I fully expect a bunch of “this mag where I work is really jealous, they’ve not won anything since 1969 he says and now the lads have won a trophy. Better than being in the prem this” type threads on RTG. If that counts our 2 Championship titles count :lol: 

Honestly man, that’s an absolute disgrace. Disgusting behavior, also a nice dollop of victim blaming there. I’m sure the people making those comments have a full picture of what happened and the impacts on the adolescent girl and her family. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 247 said:

If he hadn’t scored against us they probably wouldn’t care for him anymore, that is literally how small minded they are as a fanbase 

That is absolutely the case.