mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

If it's owt like our season in the Championship, it'll be class. One big long holiday with mad away trips. Our season will be like being trapped in a prison cell with Purple Aki.

It could also be a nightmare as well. We hit the ground running and I enjoyed our one season in it, however I also remember being in the middle of the old second division going nowhere and it was a little bit shitter. :D

We went down with much better players than they have and in a way we were lucky that Carroll came to the boil whilst we were down there. I think they think that they'll come straight back up just because of how easy we made it look. When their big earners leave they'll end up a mid table Championship club, it'll be interesting what Ellis Short does when they go down as well. It's all well and good having a FTM badge on your tie you yank cunt, but are you going to bankroll a Championship side's push for promotion back to the Premier League, where you've been losing £23m a season anyway!

Next years Championship will probably look something like this.

Fulham

Cardiff

sunderland

QPR
Wigan

Reading
Nottm Forest
Ipswich

Brighton
Bournemouth
Watford
Blackburn
Middlesbrough
Sheff Wed
Leeds
Huddersfield
Bolton
Doncaster
Blackpool
Birmingham
Charlton

Wolves
Brentford
Leyton Orient

I reckon the teams in bold will most likely be there or there abouts, chasing the Premier League spots. With that amount of competition, the mackems could very well struggle to get back. One season out the of the Premier League isn't disastrous, the parachute payments and being able to hold onto your better players should stand you in good stead. Two season however... look at Bolton, Birmingham and Wolves.

Bournemouth are playing some great football at the minute like. The cliche of cliches states that anyone can beat anyone in the Championship once there is a bit of momentum, but it is true. Sunderland would definitely not be odds on to come straight back up IF* they went down, given that their best (relatively speaking) players are loanees (Ki, Borini, Alonso). Poyet has not really proved that he is anything other than a Championship manager to me. Even when he was there, he wasn't running away with the league like Leicester are, or as we did.

* Let's not celebrate just yet. It'd be just like them to snatch a horrible 0-1 away at Tottenham next week.

Think Fulham's aging squad would struggle in the Championship with all the games mind, if they bounce back it'd have to be after a major overhaul.

Yeah, but I'd expect a few of them to go hunting paydays elsewhere, like you say, and that their owner will fund that restructuring.

On the balance of probability, I think Short is more than likely to bankroll them next season if they go down. Doesn't make a lot of sense to pull the finances straight away. Ashley paid our squad £50m for the season and lost a lot of cash doing so because it made sense to. If you don't come straight back up, that's when the decision gets tough. If you keep a premier league style squad on the payroll it should mean coming back up. The QPR case is interesting on that front though as they could slip up and then Fernandes is fucked. I don't think they have anywhere near the quality of players we had when we were down there though. If Sunderland keep their core players they would certainly have one of the best sides down there.

On the balance of probability, I think Short is more than likely to bankroll them next season if they go down. Doesn't make a lot of sense to pull the finances straight away. Ashley paid our squad £50m for the season and lost a lot of cash doing so because it made sense to. If you don't come straight back up, that's when the decision gets tough. If you keep a premier league style squad on the payroll it should mean coming back up. The QPR case is interesting on that front though as they could slip up and then Fernandes is fucked. I don't think they have anywhere near the quality of players we had when we were down there though. If Sunderland keep their core players they would certainly have one of the best sides down there.

I think it has a lot to do with attitude of the squad aswell as the quality of players, Hughton played a blinder on that front by clearing out the players that wouldn't be committed to playing at that level and kept the players that were fully motivated to win promotion straight back up. That is why he deserved at least a full season in charge at the top level.

Edited by Anorthernsoul

Aye Sunderlands squad isn't close to the one we had when we went down, they're going to lose Ki and Borini as their loans are up. Iirc Larsson and I think Colback and Bardsley are out of contract, I can see Adam Johnson moaning and getting a move. Short of that group of players they're looking pretty dreadful tbh (I'm not 100% on Colback and Bardsley, just remembered they have a few contracts up at the end of the season). Short is going to need to buy a fair few upper level championship players which it seems they started to do bringing in Bridcutt.

TBF I have happy memories of when we beat Forest in 97 to ensure CL qualification and then the announcement that Coventry had won at Tottenham with a delayed kick-off thus relegating the fuckers came through with perfect timing just before the lap of honour. I'd have no shame in celebrating but in their slight defence we;re used to them going down but our releagtion was a rarity.

I wouldn't even pretend to shrug it off. We're Newcastle United, Sunderland are our main rivals. I know to some it's Liverpool who are there pet hate but I humbly suggest they aren't local lads and/or exiles and have other priorities. It used to be us who made more of the derby, by the way. I've worked with a few Mackems and some have been alright lads, but as a collective? Fuck 'em and their wanky club. There's a 2nd division rock lying around somewhere, be good Mackem bamps and go hide under it, will you? :good:

Did I say 'hide'? Of course I meant 'crawl'.

Edited by Howmanheyman

I wouldn't even pretend to shrug it off. We're Newcastle United, Sunderland are our main rivals. I know to some it's Liverpool who are there pet hate but I humbly suggest they aren't local lads and/or exiles and have other priorities. It used to be us who made more of the derby, by the way. I've worked with a few Mackems and some have been alright lads, but as a collective? Fuck 'em and their wanky club. There's a 2nd division rock lying around somewhere, be good Mackem bamps and go hide under it, will you? :good:

Aye but you're not going to pay for a fucking banner or weep tears of joy into your best mates chest are you?

Poyet was probably planning for the Championship in January looking at the players he brought in

Aye, they're all around that level quality wise. Hopefully they'll be mid table championship fodder within 2 year.

I thought it was United for whom you reserved your venom?