mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

I don't get the wailing and gnashing going on over there. If it were 20 years ago and they were close to signing him as a player then I'd understand but it's a bit like us losing our shit because we didn't get Gary Neville as manager. Keane is a watchable pundit but a shit manager. It seems to me that it's more to do with the fact that appointing Keane would re-affirm their relevance to footballing world. It might get a few minor headlines but you're still left with a shit manager.

• Like 3

Morons ??? Hmmmm

image.thumb.png.fe9cd4ef48ebbdb8f535322a0f07ada3.png

☝️                  ☝️ 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

The fucking arrogance of these Cathwords man. 

To be fair, and objective they have (somewhat) of a point. They are one of the biggest clubs outside of the Premier League (perhaps only Derby, Forest, Sheff Utd, Wednesday or WBA could challenge that claim).

But that's what makes their current plight and 3 year struggle to get out of Division 3 all the funnier. 

3 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Morons ??? Hmmmm

☝️                  ☝️ 

mean thats what forums are for

• Haha 1

:lol: They really are a gift that keeps on giving. This is EXACTLY the same thing they did to stay in the PL all those years, flirt with relegation, sack manager, ride the new manager bounce, stay up by the skin of their teeth, watch the squad weaken as the money invested become less and less. To constantly sustain a play off push has been costing them money, they’re clearly reaching a breaking point where the money is drying up, and while they’ve been using a new manager bounce every year to boost them into play off positions I assume the squad has degraded from the one they had first season down (they of course won’t admit it). 

If they don’t get promoted soon they’ll surely drop off this constant playoff push level. Even if they do go up they’d be massive favorites to go down, but that would probably help them refresh the squad quality and club coffers a little so they can establish themselves as a championship-League One yo-yo club. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Craig said:

To be fair, and objective they have (somewhat) of a point. They are one of the biggest clubs outside of the Premier League (perhaps only Derby, Forest, Sheff Utd, Wednesday or WBA could challenge that claim).

But that's what makes their current plight and 3 year struggle to get out of Division 3 all the funnier. 

I think their “big club” claim diminishes every day tbh but to say stuff like that, they didn’t say “one of” they said the biggest, is absolutely absurd and laughable.

They’re nobodies now and that’s not going to change. If by some miracle they go up they’ll be slapped about the championship something rotten. 

Sunderland association football club belongs to the past.

• Like 1

That's why I said 'somewhat' 😉

On a serious note when you put all the criteria out there for 'what is a big club?' then speaking objectively, we'd be wrong to say they're not one of the top 6 clubs outside of the top tier. But you're right, their ability to claim it is indeed diminishing all the time. 

Sad state of affairs really because if they got the investment and, more importantly, the right leadership into the club then they could turn it around and get back to where they used to be,

That said, their initial devotion to a French owner who wasn't even born when Tino was bagging a hat-trick against Barcelona combined with messiah-like pilgrimages towards Keane and Defoe is utterly laughable. 

If they have any desire of sorting themselves out, they need to let go of the past and completely reinvent themselves. Using Wolves from the 1980s wouldn't be a bad yardstick. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Morons ??? Hmmmm

☝️                  ☝️ 

Absolute morons. AM I WRIGHT?!?!

• Haha 4

Tbf, I bet there’s a couple of decent, forward-thinking managers who would jump at the chance of managing Sunderland who have been put off by the fans or the total amateurs running the show. I’m not talking someone who could drag them through the leagues in some Football Manager or Howe style revolution but someone who could Instill some sort of competence. Luckily, neither fans or owners have the patience for it 

• Like 2

Just now, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Tbf, I bet there’s a couple of decent, forward-thinking managers who would jump at the chance of managing Sunderland who have been put off by the fans or the total amateurs running the show. I’m not talking someone who could drag them through the leagues in some Football Manager or Howe style revolution but someone who could Instill some sort of competence. Luckily, neither fans or owners have the patience for it 

This indeed. 

There's some decent managers out there who they'd do well to appoint. But not, the cheesy-chip eating, knuckle-dragging, brainless morons want 'Super Roy' back and are crying because he's not stupid enough to fucking do it.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Tom said:

honestly, it was fucking hilarious that nearly the biggest club in all the land were getting their arses kicked off little cheltenham a couple days ago. can't wait till a team from the village of nailsworth do it next year!

:lol:

20 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

They were third, nailed on for playoffs, at least, and EVEN then they drove the manager out and the stupid owners listened to them - it's brilliant tbh

27 minutes ago, Craig said:

That's why I said 'somewhat' 😉

On a serious note when you put all the criteria out there for 'what is a big club?' then speaking objectively, we'd be wrong to say they're not one of the top 6 clubs outside of the top tier. But you're right, their ability to claim it is indeed diminishing all the time. 

Sad state of affairs really because if they got the investment and, more importantly, the right leadership into the club then they could turn it around and get back to where they used to be,

That said, their initial devotion to a French owner who wasn't even born when Tino was bagging a hat-trick against Barcelona combined with messiah-like pilgrimages towards Keane and Defoe is utterly laughable. 

If they have any desire of sorting themselves out, they need to let go of the past and completely reinvent themselves. Using Wolves from the 1980s wouldn't be a bad yardstick. 

For them to make any progress at all they need to let go of Newcastle United.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

:lol: They call us deluded, the fan base that just hounded out their manager who had them third, had the highest win rate in years (as ewerk pointed out), and from reports had them playing the best football they have played in fucking donkeys years. But aye they’re the best fan base ever. Totally not seen as poisonous deluded bastards. 

This is the same fan base where when they were in the championship their side won more games away from home, as playing at home they were subject to so much hostility :lol:. They don’t even have enough people that give a flying fuck enough to hold up a few flags man. 

16 minutes ago, Tom said:

For them to make any progress at all they need to let go of Newcastle United.

As I've said a few times. We live in world where Newcastle United are the richest club on the planet and Gateshead got further in the FA Cup than Sunderland :lol:

• Haha 1