mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

In fairness to them, there's a few on there talking reason. They're mostly being drowned out mind, but still, it's good to see some people pulling against the tide.

We have essemmbee for instance, who is kind of like an inversion of the above phenomenon.

I was looking for their reaction to signing Rodwell and I spotted this in a thread called "Is this the first time we have..."

…..had 5 Premiership winners in our squad?

Pantilimon
O’Shea
Brown
Rodwell
Johnson

Also, if you fancy a laugh, just search for "Rodwell" "Mags" on twitter.

Christ, they don't help themselves, do they?

I remember Rodwell being pretty well rated when he was at Everton but the money Man City paid being a bit of a joke, 3 years of playing in the reserves and sitting in the physio room and the mackems have paid a similar price for him. He struggles for fitness tbh, I seen a lot of them saying the old "if we can keep him fit" which isn't what you want to be saying about a 10m player.

That list of Premiership winners by the way :lol:

He's been a reserve for so long I honestly can barely remember what kind of player he is.

I couldnt even tell you what position he plays. I recognise his name and iirc he was once tipped as a future england international, but thats it.

He's supposed to be a box-to-box midfielder. But more attacking, like a poor man's Gerrard.

He's a decent player imo, but £10m is way too much for someone with such little 1st team experience and such a shocking injury record.

I think Rodwell is a decent player & if they can keep him fit he'll shine for them, obviously shining for a poor team is a bit different from playing an hour every season for Manchester City or whatever. He's had a bad injury record, apparently doing his hamstring 5 times which is risky...

Didn't realise they posted >£20m losses. Can try afford to gamble half of that on a player who is likely to only feature in 1/2 of their games?

Like has been said it's a gamble and if he stays fit he's a real asset. That a big if though

Citeh were paying that much for him based on potential not a finished article. I can't really imagine he's improved much if at all when he's barely played since he's been there. I think they've been done somewhat for that sort of money.

Mind you, I don't mind admitting that if you'd offered me him or Colback to sign at the start of the summer I would have rather signed him. It will be interesting to see which one of them proves more useful.

Why compare Rodwell to Colback?

Rodwell should be compared to Cabella. Or De Jong. Colback is a utility player to give us a bit more solidity.

If Colback proves more useful than Rodwell then the mackems will be truly fucked. I hope for their sakes (and our tbh) we are comparing the contributions of the flair attacking players we have brought in.