mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

33 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Does it go deeper than an invented link because they both play in red and white? 

Apparently a bunch a labourers went across from shipyards in Portsmouth, Southampton and Sunderland. They created a football team over there. Someone was asked to bring some kits to Bilbao from England and they brought a couple dozen Southampton kits. Hence the red and white stripes. 

In the late 19th century, Bilbao was a leading industrial town and attracted many migrant workers, including miners from the north-east of England and shipyard workers from Southampton, Portsmouth and Sunderland.

... wait a second, Miners from the North East. No, that couldn't mean there's also the distinct possibility that Newcastle fans went over there at the same time as the Mackems and were just as integral in the formation of Athletic Bilbao, could it? 

So, anyway, there's maybe a third of a link?

I think I've said before they spouted the link as 100% true for years on there then someone related how they went to the club museum and asked about Sunderland and the guide told them he'd never heard of them and it was complete shite. 

They were like kids being told there's no Santa. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Apparently a bunch a labourers went across from shipyards in Portsmouth, Southampton and Sunderland. They created a football team over there. Someone was asked to bring some kits to Bilbao from England and they brought a couple dozen Southampton kits. Hence the red and white stripes. 

... wait a second, Miners from the North East. No, that couldn't mean there's also the distinct possibility that Newcastle fans went over there at the same time as the Mackems and were just as integral in the formation of Athletic Bilbao, could it? 

So, anyway, there's maybe a third of a link?

Late 19th Century, Newcastle East End, played in red and white, makes you think, ................... Atletico Bilbao founded by mags.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I don't get why there'd need to be a 'special connection' to set up the supporters branch though? If 3 West Brom Fans were over in Peru and decided to set up a Baggies Branch there, they wouldn't need to fabricate a link between them and Allianza Lima, would they?

It's just weird behaviour. The Friendship cup, the Feyenoord thing, Bilbao. 

Weird.

• Like 1

It'd be like NUFC trying to lay claim to the fact Juventus play in black & white stripes because of us, rather than it correctly being a link to Notts County.

They're off their fucking heads :lol:

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I don't get why there'd need to be a 'special connection' to set up the supporters branch though? If 3 West Brom Fans were over in Peru and decided to set up a Baggies Branch there, they wouldn't need to fabricate a link between them and Allianza Lima, would they?

It's just weird behaviour. The Friendship cup, the Feyenoord thing, Bilbao. 

Weird.

It's a plea for relevance, they think the special connections (myths) are a reflection of other clubs desperate to be associated with them, not them being desperate for the association.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Alex said:

You can say it hasn’t got historic roots but this link up was started way back in 2022. 

To be fair, the news, the pandemic, the weird timing of the World Cup has made this year feel decades long. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Alex said:

You can say it hasn’t got historic roots but this link up was started way back in 2022. 

Wasnt is purely because we were playing Bilbao at home and then it turned out Bilbao made a massive fuss over us & continue to do so unprompted. :lol:

The attention they are absolutely desperate for but never get.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Tom said:

Wasnt is purely because we were playing Bilbao at home and then it turned out Bilbao made a massive fuss over us & continue to do so unprompted. :lol:

The attention they are absolutely desperate for but never get.

I don’t know why they don’t just do this with one of the many clubs with which they have an actual special bond ;) 

But aye, why can’t they just be two lads from Sunderland living :quotes:in and around Bilbao :quotes: who go and watch them play because they like football? 

• Thanks 1

This is where I reveal that my forum nickname is actually me playing the long game to prove a special relationship between NUFC and FSV Mainz 05 dating back to the early 2000s. Fetch me a bedsheet, it's banner time!

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

This is where I reveal that my forum nickname is actually me playing the long game to prove a special relationship between NUFC and FSV Mainz 05 dating back to the early 2000s. Fetch me a bedsheet, it's banner time!

Do you do t-shirts? By any chance 

• Haha 5