mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

Just now, Renton said:

The mackems are engaging in one of their usual monthly obsessions on what they should call themselves. Apparently we stole the term Geordies from them, several centuries before Sunderland actually even existed.

1169197057_Post2.thumb.png.6b666172803cd5c74800579d2ca8b87b.png

1693361165_post1.thumb.png.248fc2571298c6776790715fc6c6dd12.png

:lol: And finally, m'lud, the last piece, of many pieces of evidence in the 'wanting to be Geordies' case is....... 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Tom said:

How can you steal a name OTHER PEOPLE CALL YOU? :lol: 

You don’t pick your own nickname unless you’re an absolute nerd.

'In 2000 a public vote was held for supporters to choose the first ever official nickname for the club from five options picked by the club.'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunderland_A.F.C._supporters

Sunderland 'Nerd' AFC 

• Haha 6

Every little thing like scoring loads of goals

and not conceding many :lol: 

Also Man U have won like 9 in a row & we’re lucky when they draw!? 

Seem to recall Rashford being offside in their derby win

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

Every little thing like scoring loads of goals

and not conceding many :lol: 

Also Man U have won like 9 in a row & we’re lucky when they draw!? 

Seem to recall Rashford being offside in their derby win

:lol: 

It's eating them up. Love it. :ok:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Renton said:

The mackems are engaging in one of their usual monthly obsessions on what they should call themselves. Apparently we stole the term Geordies from them, several centuries before Sunderland actually even existed.

There's a simple reason for that. Other people have opinions about Geordies, for good or ill, but nobody gives a fleeting thought to mackems, or to people from Sunderland. If they get to claim that they're Geordie then POW, they're not anonymous afterthoughts. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

So the extremely rich novocasrians lord it over their poor geordie neighbours.........I quite like the sound of that🤣

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

There's a simple reason for that. Other people have opinions about Geordies, for good or ill, but nobody gives a fleeting thought to mackems, or to people from Sunderland. If they get to claim that they're Geordie then POW, they're not anonymous afterthoughts. 

I think some of the older ones are right about the term geordie being applied to anyone from the North East, still is outside the area. Well known they chanted it when they won the FA cup. But they didn't like being associated with us when we the Entertainers, so they adopted an insult we created for them to be known as, and now are upset because no bugger else outside the North East knows what it means or even where Sunderland is. Cutting off your nose to spite your face really, but that's being a mackem for you. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Renton said:

:lol: not sure where to start with that. Novocastrian is just a made up name using the latin words for ‘new’ and ‘castle’. I don’t think Novus Castra was ever the name of the settlement (although I could be wrong). As for the rugby team, that’s bollocks too. The Newcastle Falcons were formerly Gosforth (then Newcastle Gosforth iirc). The name change coming after SJH backed the club and rugby Union became professional and they moved from their original base near the Great North Road. Novocastrians still exists. Their ground is next to the ministry at Longbenton. I think they were originally founded as a team for old boys from the RGS. 
They literally just make any old shit up, don’t they? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Renton said:

I think some of the older ones are right about the term geordie being applied to anyone from the North East, still is outside the area. Well known they chanted it when they won the FA cup. But they didn't like being associated with us when we the Entertainers, so they adopted an insult we created for them to be known as, and now are upset because no bugger else outside the North East knows what it means or even where Sunderland is. Cutting off your nose to spite your face really, but that's being a mackem for you. 

Plenty of scholars have argued about where Geordie comes from originally, but the point is what who it describes now. And now a 'Geordie' is someone from the area and/or someone who supports Newcastle.

Imagine being so unsure of your own identity that you try to co-opt someone else's nickname, then reclaim an insult, then poll for a new nickname, then try to co-opt a nickname from your rivals, again.

Don't see Smoggies go on like this, but that could be the industrial haar 

Pretty sure that Spud lad (? have I got this right, the lad/man often pissed and sporting a wig mohawk seen at most aways) used to bellow out "NOVOCASTRIA" from the Leazes in between his refrains of "DODGY KEEPER".  Anyway, I liked it and built a city called Novocastria on Sim City 2000. 

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 1

Apart from anything, why the fuck would we steal anything from them? We’ve got our own nationally and internationally recognised identity. They had to run a poll to decide what their own nickname should be and couldn’t even think of an original name for their flat pack stadium 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

Pretty sure that Spud lad (? have I got this right, the lad/man often pissed and sporting a wig mohawk seen at most aways) used to bellow out "NOVOCASTRIA" from the Leazes in between his refrains of "DODGY KEEPER".  Anyway, I liked it and built a city called Novocastria on Sim City 2000. 

'Scud'

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

Well people from Newcastle are referred to as Novocastrians of course but Geordie is far more common. As has been pointed out it used to apply more widely - to people from Tyneside, Wearside and Northumberland and Durham to a lesser extent. But it’s never not been a description of Newcastle folk for as long as anyone can remember. I realise you’re aware of this of course. It’s like the Civil War thing where they also talk about a rivalry from a time when Sunderland didn’t exist 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

That whole page is entertaining, especially the “ Notable Supporters “ section. F9D48D9A-0372-42B6-B3F5-8F118264DAF8.thumb.jpeg.b6dd3ff693343832ac7dd60d48bd710d.jpeg

They're fucking desperate to claim Jackie Milburn as one of theirs :lol:

Mind you, reading the full list, at least half I was like “ nee idea who that is”. 

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Alex said:

Novocastrian is just a made up name using the latin words for ‘new’ and ‘castle’. I don’t think Novus Castra was ever the name of the settlement (although I could be wrong).

No, as far as I’m aware you’re correct. 

There’s been a settlement since at least the Bronze Age but the first recorded name was Pons Aelius by the Romans. 

It was known as  Monkchester  due it having at least 5 different friarys in the city, the only one still remaining is Blackfriars. 

It was named Newcastle after the construction of the Norman Keep, but since they spoke French, it was probably known as Neufchâtel. 

Never been Novo Castria. 

In Roman times the tiny settlements around the wear were known collectively as Sextus Digitalus, and latterly by the Normans as Trou de Merde. 

• Haha 9

12 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

That whole page is entertaining, especially the “ Notable Supporters “ section. F9D48D9A-0372-42B6-B3F5-8F118264DAF8.thumb.jpeg.b6dd3ff693343832ac7dd60d48bd710d.jpeg

Mind you, reading the full list, at least half I was like “ nee idea who that is”. 

Truly tragic this wiki even exists. As for this particular contention, the reference given is irretrievabe even using the wayback archive progamme. Much like the venerable Bede being a massive lads fan and coining the term geordies. 

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

'In 2000 a public vote was held for supporters to choose the first ever official nickname for the club from five options picked by the club.'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunderland_A.F.C._supporters

Sunderland 'Nerd' AFC 

I love that a large part of their fan base size section is cherry picking various stats to make them sound more popular than they are. Their first and biggest claim was a season in the premier league where they had the third highest attendance. Of course we were one of the two higher than them.

Despite a long period with relatively little success, Sunderland held the third highest average attendance in the country in the 2000–01 season with 46,791 fans.[13]

Finally they note how they hold the record for average attendance in the third tier, because that's totally something people care about.

Sunderland's average attendance of 32,157 in the 2018–19 season was an English third-tier record and the largest average attendance outside of the Premier League.[19]

And the way it is worded tries to make it sound like it was a record outside the premier league, when of course it's not even close as during our worst period in modern history, when we were relegated our average crowd absolutely destroyed that number by more than 10,000.

As for their vote for the nickname, what kind of fools vote for the symbol of bad luck to represent their club?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Had to google Daniel Neil. Picking a current first teamer, as a 'notable supporter' is fucking hilarious. 

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

No, as far as I’m aware you’re correct. 

There’s been a settlement since at least the Bronze Age but the first recorded name was Pons Aelius by the Romans. 

It was known as  Monkchester  due it having at least 5 different friarys in the city, the only one still remaining is Blackfriars. 

It was named Newcastle after the construction of the Norman Keep, but since they spoke French, it was probably known as Neufchâtel. 

Never been Novo Castria. 

In Roman times the tiny settlements around the wear were known collectively as Sextus Digitalus, and latterly by the Normans as Trou de Merde. 

Don't forget Monkchester Road in Walker. I'm an alumni of Monkchester nursery school where only the brightest and best attended. :D

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Had to google Daniel Neil. Picking a current first teamer, as a 'notable supporter' is fucking hilarious. 

First on the list should be these two:

Screenshot_20230119-225904_Chrome.jpg.f3decd04ceb1996706eee1ccd028d134.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Truly tragic this wiki even exists. As for this particular contention, the reference given is irretrievabe even using the wayback archive progamme. Much like the venerable Bede being a massive lads fan and coining the term geordies. 

Aye, I tried to see what tenuous shite they were claiming it on, as you say- doesn’t exist. 

Notably, the wiki article for Jackie’s early life makes no mention at all of his MLF status. :lol:

• Haha 2