On the back of all the emotion shown

bobbyshinton

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh, even if I saw Thatcher now in the park, old demented woman that she is, I'd still poke her eyes out. She destroyed my dream of being a miner. My one ambition from the age of about 3 was to work down a mine, there was just something about the glamour of that lifestyle that appealed to me intensely. I had all the skills and qualifications needed to acheive that dream, everything was in place, that is until Thatcher fucked it. Now the closest I can get to working down a mine is to burrow my way under my neighbour's fence and steal his gnomes.

:D

The Miners were well paid as were the Shipyard workers. I've seen a couple of ex-workmates working in Morrison's and ASDA. They'll be on at least half the annual salary they were getting when I worked with them a few years ago at another well known Tyneside employer that is no longer there, (Tyne Brewery). Maybe the Miners and the rest of the poor fuckers losing their jobs in the manufacturing industry knew what jobs were left were at a minimum wage level or below as the minimum wage didn't exist then. Not everyone is cut out or indeed wanted to go to 'Uni' or get on their bikes and leave their hometown.

And this is where Stevie's "service economy" falls down. We dont make anything, so theres few or no apprenticeships on offer to school leavers that used to take 1000s of kids and give them a trade. The best they can hope for is one of these poxy "MacJobs" or a piss take work-fare scheme. No wonder they dont want to work if thats whats on offer. Not everyone is driven enough to be a high acheiver. There was once a need for Indians as well as chiefs. But when kids do do well, show ambition as well as intelligence and get to uni and get a degree, whats out there for them on graduation in 2012? the same "Macjobs" the kids that left school at 16 are vying for. Pitiful state of affairs. And much of it can be traced back to Thatcher iyam.

Edited by PaddockLad

Under his stewardship Humberside was pretty much snubbed, meaning it ended up becoming the part of the country which was hurt most by the recession. It's hard to see the unemployment and no hopes in the place you were brought up and not harboyr bad feelings (spiteful though they may be). Of course the Coalitions not done much either so far, both to help things there and to people my age as a whole, the better help for poor people who want to go to uni being the only thing of note (I think a lot of people on here slagged me off for agreeing mind). Anyway major digress, they shouldn't (and won't) hold a minutes silence.

I don't think they'd be stupid enough to attempt a minute's silence over at Anfield.

There's a street carnival on standby for the day that old witch pops her clogs.

A distressing thing is knowing a couple of young people who were actually stupid enough to belive their campaign promises, vote tory and then were actually shocked when the "coalition" started once again systematically dismantling the country. Of course what these people know of previous tory governments is probably sitting through an episode of the Boys from the Black Stuff or Au Wiedersein Pet.

Paddocklad, it's not my service based economy, I wasn't old enough in the 80's to understand her policies other than people moaning that coal and steel works closing. My point was they weren't sustainable, to which most have agreed, but my knowledge of politics and the economy 1979 to 1992 isn't great enough to understand if the speed of the destruction of those industries was too great for the North to cope with. What is not in doubt is there is a history of places like Liverpool, Sheffield, Newcastle, Sunderland, Derby etc... consistently suffering whenever the tories get in to power. I'm not saying London is buoyant it's not, but little things like lowering the tax rate for the rich, % wise there are far more rich people in the South of England, and why shouldn't the rich be taxed more? I don't want a communist state, but they're not even hiding what their policies are this time.

There can't be a geordie alive who could forgive Thatcher for what she did. We live in a society dictated by her dreadful politics and this lot are only trying to worsen the gap in inequality with masqueraded bullshit like regional pay. She was not a friend to football, indeed she was not a friend to very much, except a wide open market, silver spooned toffs and big corporations. There should not be a minute's silence for her, she was completely unrelated to football anyway and I'd hope everyone concerned would have the good sense to see that.

Give Maggie credit for doing reasonably well against Argentina, which is more than can be said for Beckham and some other winless sods who pulled on an England shirt.

Give Maggie credit for doing reasonably well against Argentina, which is more than can be said for Beckham and some other winless sods who pulled on an England shirt.

I remember Beckham scoring the winner last time we played them competitively!

I remember Beckham scoring the winner last time we played them competitively!

Yeah, but I remember his red-card for the petulant kick and the ultimate loss.