Luque again

LeazesMag

I thought Luque was a marked improvement up front instead of out left. He did fade a bit in the second half, for me, but at least he wasn't anonymous.

Must admit to wondering what he would look like playing alongside Owen and us not playing this hoof-up-the-field shite, but pass and run 'proper' football.

EDIT: Oh, and a big 'up' for Zog who doesn't half get me going. ;)

Edited by snakehips

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive seen that "especial-luque" video that someone put on here a while back (i have it but nowhere to host it) and i can say that if he produces that stuff while he's here, he'll be a hero for us. Just give him time.

If Luque were playing in a team where the manager was competent, he'd be playing well and up front right now.

I think it's a bit much people (and the press) have already written him off, I for one am going to hope he holds out long enough for a decent manager to be brought in so he can be used effectively.

Unfortunately this is NUFC so that isn't going to happen. ;)

Reading 5 - 1 Cardiff btw. :rolleyes:

Reading 5 - 1 Cardiff btw.  ;)

73017[/snapback]

Yep, but as the 3 Reading fans I work with and the 2 I live nearby (all season ticket holders) have said, Reading aren't ready for the Premiership and unless they pull off a stunt like Wigan have managed, you'll be free-falling back into the Championship 9 months after the season begins.

He did look canny today. On the wing he's gave absolutely nothing. Today he looked more comfortable and at times looked a threat. Backed out of a few 50/50 balls, but then I dont see him as the sort of player to dive in nose first. Has some good touches and given time (like now when Owen is out) could do ok.

Reading 5 - 1 Cardiff btw.  :rolleyes:

73017[/snapback]

Yep, but as the 3 Reading fans I work with and the 2 I live nearby (all season ticket holders) have said, Reading aren't ready for the Premiership and unless they pull off a stunt like Wigan have managed, you'll be free-falling back into the Championship 9 months after the season begins.

73024[/snapback]

Not unless they buy a RB and a CM. Based on the performance against Cardiff tho, what they said is just bullshit. ;)

Reading 5 - 1 Cardiff btw.  :rolleyes:

73017[/snapback]

73024[/snapback]

Not unless they buy a RB and a CM. Based on the performance against Cardiff tho, what they said is just bullshit. :rolleyes:

73071[/snapback]

Cardiff - that well reknowned Premiership-quality team... ;)

Don't forget the Mackems creamed a few teams last season.

Can I just say that this Luque bashing is way OTT. The man is a proven world class player and only needs to be given time to prove this. Today was one of the first games I managed to watch/listen to in a long time but from what I saw today i'm convinced he'll prove himself. He always looked dangerous on the ball he just needs to get into step with the EPL.

Reading 5 - 1 Cardiff btw.  :rosetintspecs:

73017[/snapback]

73024[/snapback]

Not unless they buy a RB and a CM. Based on the performance against Cardiff tho, what they said is just bullshit. :rolleyes:

73071[/snapback]

Cardiff - that well reknowned Premiership-quality team... ;)

Don't forget the Mackems creamed a few teams last season.

73074[/snapback]

We creamed the mackems last season and we were shite :rolleyes:

The Luque - bashing is OTT, what if he had scored when he rounded Schwarzer? Saw the highlights and he was bloody unlucky not to score, he did everything right up until the finish. :P

Give him time and a decent manager.

as a left sided player, he's no better than Robert, at best - hence waste of money.

as a front player, he's most definitely inferior to Bellamy. Bigger waste of money.

So we are worse off in every way.

And, it isn't Luque bashing, just because you don't wear rose tinted specs ©

as a left sided player, he's no better than Robert, at best - hence waste of money.

as a front player, he's most definitely inferior to Bellamy. Bigger waste of money.

73092[/snapback]

He doesn't cause any shit off the pitch though... ;)

73092[/snapback]

73093[/snapback]

he doesn't cause too much bother ON it from what i've seen

I don't often disagree with you Leazes but tonight I will. Luque is twice the player Robert is (I still rate Bellers higher as a front man) and I still think he'll prove it. Give him half a chance when the scotch git isn't in charge and I think we'll see a different player.

Edited by Skol

73092[/snapback]

73093[/snapback]

73098[/snapback]

For now he hasn't...

Crouch didn't do much for Liverpool though game after game.

Besides, my point was that you said we were worse off in every way - I was just pointing out one thing he is better at... :rolleyes:

73092[/snapback]

73093[/snapback]

73098[/snapback]

For now he hasn't...

Crouch didn't do much for Liverpool though game after game.

Besides, my point was that you said we were worse off in every way - I was just pointing out one thing he is better at... :rolleyes:

73105[/snapback]

Crouch was always going to come good for Liverpool, he wasn't hiding and was striving to be successful

You call a torn hamstring injury 'hiding' do you?? ;)

And on today's performance, I'd argue Luque is striving to be successful. Certain people just need to give him a chance - it was his 8th game for the club and the first in his true position - don't remember Owen scoring first time out up front...

73092[/snapback]

BELLAMY DOESN'T PLAY FOR US ANY MORE! GET OVER IT!!

73092[/snapback]

BELLAMY DOESN'T PLAY FOR US ANY MORE! GET OVER IT!!

73155[/snapback]

yes catmag, but that very fact highlights that we have a manager who shouldn't be here either, so until he is binned its relevant

Hi Everyone, i'm back from the xmas break (don't have internet at home).

Saw the highlights of the match last night, couldn't judge anyone on that, those who went to the ground would know better.

Except: Boumsong and Bramble who are actually getting worse. I think we have big porblems with all the back 4 and their cover. Moore has disappeared, Taylor's out for ages, Baba's not performing, Elliot is crap, Carr has fallen out with Souness, i don't Ramage will make it as a Prem player - far too ordinary. That's 8 defenders who arn't doing the the do.

Emre - frequently absent.

Parker - Tackles a lot, doesn't create anything, i agree with that NO article, i'm sure he'd rather play football.

Owen - Major absenteeism, maybe this is what happens if you go into 50-50 challenges with a GK?

Solano - Shy of white lines

Luque - Not a replacement for Robert it seems (who can't make it at Portsmouth), if we sell him we're left with Shearer (now that Ameobi's injured but couldn't score anyway) up front with an occasional appearence from Chopra! Can we afford to let Luque go? Who are we gonna replace him with? Another unproven striker like Ashton or Nihat? What's the point, might as well see him through to the summer and see how things develop. He might do well or he might be just ok but might click better with whatever striker we bring in over the summer (assuming Shearer doesn't stay on).

What i've seen of Luque so far, he hasn't offered much. I'll wait until i've seen him play a fair few games before i make a decision on him though.

Thinking about it now, Souness 'Great Signings' don't seem so special do they?

And i forgot about Faye!

Edited by ChocChip

Luque is simply not for this league imo, he's yet another foreign import who cannot cut it in the Premiership, let Madrid or Barca gives us our money back for him and Souness please admit he was a panic buy when you thought Owen wasn't going to come to us!

With all the criticism he's getting, he's bound to fail. I dont see how people can form such a staunch viewpoint on him when he's barely played for the club. Most of his games for us have been out of position (just as we did with Viana) and he hasn't cut the mustard.

However, he's Spanish, little knowledge of the language, young and away from home. He needs time to settle in. He's hardly going to settle in if after only a few games for us we're calling for his head. I agree with the point made about Ronaldo and he is fairing much better at Man U now.

On top of the fact he is coming to terms with a new area, new language, different game etc he's trying to do it in an environment which is pretty volatile at the minute. Team spirit is low, we can't play for shit and everyone is snipeing at each other. This is not conducive to settling in a new footballer.

We have no tactics, little belief and no real direction at the minute. Look to the root cause of the problem, not the periphery.

Given time, patience and some support I'm sure he'll come good..... unlike our manager......