Luque again

LeazesMag

I am fully with Renton on this one. Batty is the worst signing Newcastle ever made. We were never the same again after he came. I know its an oversimplification but his one paced sideways passing destroyed the tempo which made us so entertaining and succesful

73957[/snapback]

He certainly didn't help the sale of shirts in the Black community either :)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fully with Renton on this one. Batty is the worst signing Newcastle ever made. We were never the same again after he came. I know its an oversimplification but his one paced sideways passing destroyed the tempo which made us so entertaining and succesful

73957[/snapback]

I think playing Shearer and Ferdinand up front the following season was an even bigger factor in our not playing the same flowing football. We were always going to score goals but I always preferred it when it was Beardsley played in the hole behind one of them. When we played both upfront there seemed to be too big a gap between the forwards and midfield and we went slightly 'long ball' by comparison. Still a canny side to watch mind :)

I was never a fan of Batty, but I don't think he can be blamed solely for us not winning the title. I think he was certainly a factor though.

This is one topic of conversation where you'll notice that Craig and I are indeed different people. He loved Batty more than Gemmill loved Souness :)

I was never a fan of Batty, but I don't think he can be blamed solely for us not winning the title. I think he was certainly a factor though.

This is one topic of conversation where you'll notice that Craig and I are indeed different people. He loved Batty more than Gemmill loved Souness :)

73967[/snapback]

Are you saying Craig is a Batty Boy. ;)

Keegan was a one trick pony when it came to tactics, I'm not saying I didn't love it when we could turn up for the game in full knowledge that we'd steam roller the opposition but it was all he knew. That imo is the reason he walked from England, he tried to do the only thing he knew and was found out virtually from the start.

A tactically astute manager for me is one who can get his team to effectively play a number of ways depending on the opposition/situation. Keegan didn't have this and it's the reason I would never want him to come back, that as well as the fact he a quitter and that will never change.

73864[/snapback]

Shame Souness isn't, but then Keegan has integrity. Suppose it depends on how simplistically someone looks at a complex individual.

Edited by Howaythelads

Have you read his book ?

In particular the sections concerning the flotation of the club ?

73913[/snapback]

Yep. In short, the club wanted him to stay but Keegan had had enough. Tehy couldn't float with a manager who, not only wouldn't commit himself for more than six months, he stated his was going in 6 months!

They wanted him to sign a longer contract and when he refused, they asked for him to resign.

I don't like the fact that the club becoming a PLC robbed us of the best manager in my time following the club, but I can understand the club's position given the fact that they'd committed to floatation.

Have you read his book ?

In particular the sections concerning the flotation of the club ?

73913[/snapback]

Yep. In short, the club wanted him to stay but Keegan had had enough. Tehy couldn't float with a manager who, not only wouldn't commit himself for more than six months, he stated his was going in 6 months!

They wanted him to sign a longer contract and when he refused, they asked for him to resign.

I don't like the fact that the club becoming a PLC robbed us of the best manager in my time following the club, but I can understand the club's position given the fact that they'd committed to floatation.

74010[/snapback]

he had 3 years left on his contract ... whatever it was, it was being dictated to by men in grey suits, and destroying the relationship they had built up

They also told him to sell players [ferdinand]

Edited by LeazesMag

They never told him to specifically sell Ferdinand, they just said that funds needed to be raised to satisfy the bank loan taken out to bring in Shearer and that Ferdinand was a possible asset.

As KK said, Joe Royle later told him he'd have made out a cheque there and then for £6m to take Ferdinand to Goodison Park but KK said he didn't buy Shearer to sell Ferdinand.

KK may have had 3 years left on his contract, but he definitely told them he wouldn't be the manager for the start of the 1997-98 season.

They never told him to specifically sell Ferdinand, they just said that funds needed to be raised to satisfy the bank loan taken out to bring in Shearer and that Ferdinand was a possible asset.

As KK said, Joe Royle later told him he'd have made out a cheque there and then for £6m to take Ferdinand to Goodison Park but KK said he didn't buy Shearer to sell Ferdinand.

KK may have had 3 years left on his contract, but he definitely told them he wouldn't be the manager for the start of the 1997-98 season.

74199[/snapback]

that is all correct.

Are we on the same side here Craig .... ?

I say Keegan isn't a "quitter", unfortunately I understand the reasons he left, which were because he had integrity, he wasn't happy with the change of direction and losing out in the title ripped the heart out of him

74199[/snapback]

that is all correct.

I say Keegan isn't a "quitter", unfortunately I understand the reasons he left, which were because he had integrity, he wasn't happy with the change of direction and losing out in the title ripped the heart out of him

74203[/snapback]

Understanding that means people have to appreciate that those in the football world are human beings, subject to all the emotions everybody else in the world is subject to. Some don't understand that. To call Keegan a quitter because of the circumstances he left Newcastle shows that lack of understanding.

I think if he gets a goal anywhere (even if its something that hits him in the arse and goes in) and for him to hear the roar of the crowd cheering him on, it will do him the world of good.

Some passing along the floor wouldn't go a miss either.

74199[/snapback]

that is all correct.

74203[/snapback]

therefore he quit! :)

* forgive the pedancy...

The amount of stick Keegan gets off some 'fans' is ridiculous.

74219[/snapback]

I agree with that especially the patronising first sentence. :)

74256[/snapback]

Tribute to you tbh :razz:

;)

I am a wee bit unique in my support of NUFC as I am in no way desperate to win a trophy.

What I love is watching football. Exciting football. Attacking football. Whether we win a trophy is irrelevant to me tbh. I just love football.

When Keegan was the manager, I absolutely LOVED going to the match. Now.....

I am a wee bit unique in my support of NUFC as I am in no way desperate to win a trophy.

What I love is watching football. Exciting football. Attacking football. Whether we win a trophy is irrelevant to me tbh. I just love football.

74434[/snapback]

And I thought the national press had invented those mongs that don't mind us losing as long as they see exciting football...... :lol:

74434[/snapback]

And I thought the national press had invented those mongs that don't mind us losing as long as they see exciting football...... :lol:

74435[/snapback]

;)

Don't like losing, but the game comes first imo.

I see where Mr Hips is coming from. I miss getting into the pub in drips and drabs and going 'what a performance, we were fookin class.' When was the last time that happened? The mackems at home was the last time (and the first time in a while)I came out of the match with a big grin on my face, but that was more the result than the performance. I'd love to win things, but the priority at this moment in time is to stop the rot and at least look and play like a team.

As someone else (can't remember who) said a couple of days ago. Winning ugly is one thing, but losing ugly is horrible.

I think it is all about the feel good factor. The Keegan times were fantastic as they produced entertainment and wins and nearly the trophy. I am a total football mong myself. Though, as a Jorman I am probably a bit more used to the feeling how it is to win trophies in an unspectular way. Even if it is a bit rich, but I think trophies are overrated. :lol:

74434[/snapback]

74435[/snapback]

;)

Don't like losing, but the game comes first imo.

74438[/snapback]

ngngnngngngngngnnggngg

I think we all miss the feel-good factor that has been completely missing since Souness has been in charge. Personally, I felt there was a real buzz around Newcastle whenever I visited during the height of the Robson era, especially in 2001-2002. I was at the Villa match where Shearer scored a cracker and Bellamy got a couple of goals and after the game the atmosphere was that we'd turned a corner and were going upwards again. Not quite Keeganesque of course, but there was a lot of optimism and enthusiasm and I think that's vital. Souness never managed to get people behind him, there were never any exciting performances, so in a way he was bound to be a failure.

I think if he gets a goal anywhere (even if its something that hits him in the arse and goes in) and for him to hear the roar of the crowd cheering him on, it will do him the world of good.

Some passing along the floor wouldn't go a miss either.

74249[/snapback]

It took me 5 minutes to work out what this post was about. :lol:

Then I rememberred that this thread started about Luque.

Keegan scoring with his arse indeed.

Newcastle forward Albert Luque said he has no intention of returning to Spain during the January transfer window.

Reports suggested the 27-year-old, who joined the Magpies for £9.5m last August, was set for a quick exit after making just a handful of appearances.

"I won't be affected by speculation, I'm focused on doing well for Newcastle," he told the club website.

"I will keep working hard to stay in the team. I want to help the team as well as doing well for myself."

The Spain international picked up a hamstring injury in only his second game for the club, forcing him out of action for three months.

But since recovering he has found it difficult to adapt to the pace of the Premiership.

"I feel much better now, I am getting stronger all the time. I picked up the injury when I arrived at the club, and that was the worst injury I've had in my career," he added.

"I am still learning about English football, but I'm trying to do my best in every game."

Luque also said he was looking forward to playing in his first FA Cup match, when the Magpies host Mansfield on Saturday.

"I know how important the FA Cup is for the club and the fans as well, and we know it is a big game for us," he said.

Well, he talks a good game anyway. :lol: