Dissertation Questionnaire - Help Appreciated

Shrimper25

Hi everyone,

I am hoping you all could lend a fellow football fan a hand. As you can guess from my username, I'm a Southend supporter. I don't think our paths have yet to cross in my 16 years as a Shrimper!

With the kind permission of Ant, I'd like to ask you all if you could please fill out my questionnaire for my dissertation. It's about sponsorship and rivalry in top-flight English football.

The questionnaire link is here: https://docs.google....2hiX3c6MQ#gid=0

Thanks to anybody who completes it, your help is hugely appreciated. If you have any problems with it, please let me know.

Cheers,

Lew

Done - but as an Everton supporter I realise my imput is pretty pointless :)

Interesting though that I view Virgin Money as being a better brand due to its association with Newcastle United... I can see what you are trying to show with this questionnaire.

^ re Virgin. do ya ? how come ?

Dunno really... just kind of cooler because it's sponsoring a club doing well in the league.

Also it's not a crap company like Sunderland's or some of the others. Any half decent company sponsoring a footy team will automatically become cooler in my opinion. Virgin has been associated with F1 amongst other things too so I guess overall it's a relatively "cool" brand, made "cooler" by being on the shirt of a team doing very well in the league

Shrimper - out of interest what is the general outcome ?

Are fans relating any brand loyalty or perceptions to a name on a shirt or is it just a gain in terms of advertising space ?

There's popular consensus with companies and sponsorship folk that sponsoring a sports entity creates goodwill with fans of that entity, and that the fans feel positively towards the sponsor. However, there's not been much investigation into whether this alienates opposing fans, even though the joint sponsorship of Rangers and Celtic suggests it does - otherwise why sponsor both? So I'm trying to see if there is a correlation between fans disliking a club and therefore translating that dislike to their sponsor.

Done - but as an Everton supporter I realise my imput is pretty pointless :)

Interesting though that I view Virgin Money as being a better brand due to its association with Newcastle United... I can see what you are trying to show with this questionnaire.

Thanks for the nice comment - I do have a version for Everton fans up on ToffeeTalk if you're interested, but your input is still useful for this one!

Again, please let me emphasise my thanks to all of you who have taken an interest and completed the questionnaire :)

There's popular consensus with companies and sponsorship folk that sponsoring a sports entity creates goodwill with fans of that entity, and that the fans feel positively towards the sponsor. However, there's not been much investigation into whether this alienates opposing fans, even though the joint sponsorship of Rangers and Celtic suggests it does - otherwise why sponsor both? So I'm trying to see if there is a correlation between fans disliking a club and therefore translating that dislike to their sponsor.

Hmm, for me, and I still haven't looked, I don't know what tombola do - so how could you say about creating good will.

What might have been best is to pick two teams relatively close together so that people in that catchment area will know about them and that they have two nearly similiar sponsors so judgement could be made.

This way you would be able to see if there were any good will to each of the respective teams etc.

Two to pick (from a quick check of sponsors) are Wigan - 12BET and Bolton - 188BET, respectively just down the road from each other.

Good luck anyway with your dissertation.

Hmm, for me, and I still haven't looked, I don't know what tombola do - so how could you say about creating good will.

What might have been best is to pick two teams relatively close together so that people in that catchment area will know about them and that they have two nearly similiar sponsors so judgement could be made.

This way you would be able to see if there were any good will to each of the respective teams etc.

Two to pick (from a quick check of sponsors) are Wigan - 12BET and Bolton - 188BET, respectively just down the road from each other.

Good luck anyway with your dissertation.

Good point. Tombola are a bingo company I think. I have done this questionnaire for WBA-Wolves too, who are both sponsored by gambling companies as well as being rivals, which is similar to what you're saying. If the Wolves forum ever give permission to distribute the questionnaire, it'll be interesting to see their results. Thanks!

I have done YOUR thing.

Haha, that part of the questionnaire was lifted from a previous study. The emphasis looks daft, doesn't it?

Interesting stuff . Thinking about it - even with a fair few PL clubs (from a coverage pov) I'd struggle to readily name their shirt sponsors . Some clubs you can associate brands to historically maybe through iconic imagery or as a result of their periods of success (and failure?).

Anyway - best of british with it Shrimps !

I have done YOUR thing.

Haha, that part of the questionnaire was lifted from a previous study. The emphasis looks daft, doesn't it?

:o

Leazes outed as a southern student?

Oh the shame

Edited by Monkeys Fist