Swansea v Newcastle United Good Friday Kick Off 4.30pm

Christmas Tree

Great performance. Their amount of possession was frustrating at times but it just shows that it means nothing if you can't put the ball in the back of the net! Two great finishes from Cisse, too. What a player he is! Had to go to work for the second half but hope to catch the rest of the highlights online later...

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the Ajax team in the 90s when they played Milan in the CL Final.

One commentator said "They are a train that stops at too many stations" i.e pass it far too much.

They still won, mind. If only Milan had had Perchy at the back...

Comparing this game to the fixture at SJP is quite interesting.

In that game it was us who dominated possession, and certainly came a lot closer to scoring than Swansea did today. We had loads of shots compared to 2 or 3 from them, hit the woodwork a couple of times and couldn't really have done much more. On that day it just wasn't to be, no matter how many shots we had. Today we had hardly any shots and scored from 2 of our on target ones.

We came to the Liberty today knowing what to expect - a lot of possession against us. We soaked that up and honestly, I never felt really uncomfortable at any point. Krul was only troubled once or twice, and the defence was solid. We never looked tired - it felt to me like we invited the pressure, conserved our energy levels, dealt with them in the final third and hit them on the break. The timing of the goals probably allowed for this - had they been at different times or not at all I imagine we'd have played a different game, perhaps a more offensive, open one that they might have been able to exploit.

Getting tough with the squad getting stretched. How many yellows does Williamson have now? Can't recall if that's 4 or 5. Then if Tiote has done his hamstring..

Yeah, we're going to struggle with Colo and Guthrie replacing Williamson and Tiote. We've really struggled the last 4 games with our squad like. Pardew out, eh?

554173_145194602276431_1673299734_n.jpg

Thought Demba was poor was when he was up top (which was for most of the first half), very lazy on the ball at times and didn't link play well enough

Shall we pray for him?

Don't worry I think Papiss is on it :lol:

:lol:

Just finished watching. Fantastic result and great team effort. The finish on the second goal from Cisse was divine... Quality passes from Cabaye to setup the chances.

We're in some fine form, long may it continue.

The whole booing "long balls" business. I mean I don't know if it's meant to be ironic, but they might want to think about hoying the odd long ball in themselves ffs. That first half was one of the most ineffective displays of possession football I've ever seen. Players, fans and manager believing their own hype. It'll bite them on the arse big time next season.

Tell me about it. Must be frustrating being a Swansea supporter.

The whole booing "long balls" business. I mean I don't know if it's meant to be ironic, but they might want to think about hoying the odd long ball in themselves ffs. That first half was one of the most ineffective displays of possession football I've ever seen. Players, fans and manager believing their own hype. It'll bite them on the arse big time next season.

I reckon the Swansea fans will love it. To be fair they've got a team who look very comfy on the ball and win posession back very well. It's a good basis.

Most teams will go there with a superiority complex, play their own game, and come away pointless. Pardew played it perfectly though. Set us up just to close the angles and keep them at arms length. We were like a 6 foot brick shithouse keeping a 5 foot scrawn at bay with a fully extended arm and a palm on their forehead.

As G man says, more teams will do it to them next year unless they can bring in some more creative frontline personell.

I reckon the Swansea fans will love it. To be fair they've got a team who look very comfy on the ball and win posession back very well. It's a good basis.

Most teams will go there with a superiority complex, play their own game, and come away pointless. Pardew played it perfectly though. Set us up just to close the angles and keep them at arms length. We were like a 6 foot brick shithouse keeping a 5 foot scrawn at bay with a fully extended arm and a palm on their forehead.

As G man says, more teams will do it to them next year unless they can bring in some more creative frontline personell.

I really like Brendan Rodgers. Not just a good manager, but comes across really well.

I'm not one of these who quotes posts when they get it spectacularly right, but........

People always praise Brendan Ridgers and his involvement with Barcelona for their style of play. A lot of it might be warranted but Swansea have been playing like this for five or six years under Martinez, Sousa and now your man. The biggest going over we've had in recent memory was at Swansea in the CCC fuck knows how we drew, we got absolutely battered, they passed us off the park and that was 2009, so this style of play is ingrained in the club.

I think tactically Pards is spot on, and he'll know how to counter this. I genuinely believe we'll win again 0-2.

Who said Perch is the worst player we've ever had?

The point is James Perch is in the 5 worst players I have ever seen play for us, I would give a club £1m just to take him from us he is that bad, I knew it would happen. He's got nee spirit, when it's on the floor he fowls, he's weak, positionally he's shite, what was Hughton thinking??!!?

Two can play that game. :razz:

You may be right, it's been a good season for them on the whole, but for all their possession they score precious fuck all which to me would be like being married to

Jessica Alba but never being able to seal the deal. Sure, it's nice to look at, but sooner or later you just want to score.

Thing is he was 100% accurate with those comments. The re-birth of Perch has been something of a phenomenon with absolutely no sign that it was coming.

He was ready to fight whoever had said that Perch is the worst player ever to play for us is the point.

And that's what makes him such a good poster... Not disagreeing with you in the slightest tho!

Like when he said he knew that we'd be turned over to the tune of big numbers against Spurs yet in the prediction thread he'd picked us to win. Love it.

Who said Perch is the worst player we've ever had?

The point is James Perch is in the 5 worst players I have ever seen play for us, I would give a club £1m just to take him from us he is that bad, I knew it would happen. He's got nee spirit, when it's on the floor he fowls, he's weak, positionally he's shite, what was Hughton thinking??!!?

I hear what you're sayin....

To be fair at that point all of the evidence backed up my statement. He's been goodish lately but now isn't the time to be getting the cocks oot.

;)

Anyway, this from Brendan Rogers.

"It is a big credit to our play for little Swansea to dominate the game like we did against a team challenging for the Champions League positions. It will be interesting to see the possession statistics.

"It wasn't far off parking the bus from them which, you've got to say, for a team like ourselves coming up from the Championship last season, to be given that respect is incredible.

It will be interesting to see the possession statistics. :lol: Blatantly got a wank pencilled in. I'd be fucking fuming seeing those comments if I supported them.

Whatever victory they want to take from it they're welcome to. Three points is all we ever went there to take.