Swansea v Newcastle United Good Friday Kick Off 4.30pm

Christmas Tree

They're all fart and no shite. Sky wanking themselves silly about possession but they would string 12 passes together, knock it wide then run it out of play. Shite.

Their best hopes were pile drivers from outside the box. Says it all about the value of their possession.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair their problem is lack of money, if they could afford better players, a decent striker etc they'd be an incredible side. We couldn't get the ball back off a team including Wayne Routledge ffs.

It's only forward passes that count for anything at the end of the day though (and incisive ones at that). It was frustrating, but it was a training game from them at the same time.

I'm not knocking them-they're punching above their weight-but as the saying goes the hardest thing is putting the ball in the back of the net and that wasnt even on the radar for them yesterday.

Guest CabayeAye

To be fair their problem is lack of money, if they could afford better players, a decent striker etc they'd be an incredible side. We couldn't get the ball back off a team including Wayne Routledge ffs.

We weren't interested in taking the ball off them, we we preventing them from playing killer balls. After the 40th or 50th sideways or backwards pass, they'd make a mistake, we'd get the ball, three passes later, it's in the back of the net.

Keep your gay tippy tappy football, it's all about penetration! :)

Thoroughly delighted with the result and performance yesterday. Proper away performance against a side which prides itself on possession football.

Every time they got the ball back I actually would breathe a sigh of relief because it meant 10 minutes of tippy tappy passing which run down the clock nicely.

Guest CabayeAye

To do City would be cherry like !

They're sick as fuck so it's gotta be on Pards' cards good game good game

They've been shite recently.

Who said Perch is the worst player we've ever had?

The point is James Perch is in the 5 worst players I have ever seen play for us, I would give a club £1m just to take him from us he is that bad, I knew it would happen. He's got nee spirit, when it's on the floor he fowls, he's weak, positionally he's shite, what was Hughton thinking??!!?

Two can play that game. :razz:

bobbybrown.jpg

Edited by Davey Dave

It's only forward passes that count for anything at the end of the day though (and incisive ones at that). It was frustrating, but it was a training game from them at the same time.

I'm not knocking them-they're punching above their weight-but as the saying goes the hardest thing is putting the ball in the back of the net and that wasnt even on the radar for them yesterday.

They were writing cheques that their skillz couldn't cash. Or something. They looked dangerous at times but were let down by the quality in their side because they couldn't make that final pass. They threatened to pass through us a couple of time but failed to male the final ball. The way I looked at it this wasn't surprising seeing as they are mostly championship level players. Put more quality in that side and I think they would find that killer pass and finish in the final 3rd.

However, maybe Pardew assessed that quality which was why he was happy to let them have the ball.

Agree with that.

They play nice ball and work really hard to get it back. Lacking that final bit of quality though. Siggurdson looks a player, but his efforts were getting worse as the game went on.

With PL money now it'll be interesting to see if they can get those few quality additions needed. As a player, it would be a great place to play.

They were writing cheques that their skillz couldn't cash. Or something. They looked dangerous at times but were let down by the quality in their side because they couldn't make that final pass. They threatened to pass through us a couple of time but failed to male the final ball. The way I looked at it this wasn't surprising seeing as they are mostly championship level players. Put more quality in that side and I think they would find that killer pass and finish in the final 3rd.

However, maybe Pardew assessed that quality which was why he was happy to let them have the ball.

No I'd go along with that to be fair. I wasn't as comfortable as some seem to have been watching it. I stand by what I said about their failure to find a killer pass (it's a substantive weakness rather than a minor one) but I think in letting them have that much possession it was still a risk. Less because of their ability but more just because it's a long time for a team to focus without the ball, and you can end up playing that killer ball for them with a sloppy pass after receiving the ball for the first time in 15 minutes. I think we could have had a bit more (23% or whatever it was might have been 33% without changing our game plan), but overall Pardew got it right so I'm not going to go off on a moan about it. Absolutely delighted with the points, the attitude and the class where it counted.

The way people are going on about Obertan you'd think he was the worst player who's ever kicked a ball. He's had some canny games, Stoke away being one. 22 year old ffs.

There are numerous examples of players being written off by know-all fans only for them to turn around their game and prove them wrong. Despite the fact that recently 'the worst player i've ever seen playing for us" (not my words) James Perch has been putting in more than competent performances, people still think that a young player cant develop. Its just a messageboard ffs and all that but the debate on forums/online contributes to the general perception of the player and it just doesnt do us or the player any good. A debate on where he can improve, what he needs to work on is much healthier than just calling him shite.

Anyway the games keep getting bigger and bigger, i though last week was the biggest of the season but a win today is another massive step forward, i cant call the result but its a big one as victory today gives us a massive chance on monday to hit 59 points with 5 to play. That would be sensational stuff. Really excited about the match but its a shame we are so weakened. That does mean any sort of result is a great achievement though.

Bit late to the party but spot on as usual.

;)

Anyway, this from Brendan Rogers.

"It is a big credit to our play for little Swansea to dominate the game like we did against a team challenging for the Champions League positions. It will be interesting to see the possession statistics.

"It wasn't far off parking the bus from them which, you've got to say, for a team like ourselves coming up from the Championship last season, to be given that respect is incredible.

It will be interesting to see the possession statistics. :lol: Blatantly got a wank pencilled in. I'd be fucking fuming seeing those comments if I supported them.

"If we have the ball they can't score"

From the origin of the Swansea 'philosophy' which to be honest - I think they've got very wrong.

If Swansea fans weren't so up their own arses that would have been a boring game for them, they didn't boo their own long balls did they? Football doens't have to be one or the other and that's what they don't realise. Some teams take it to extremes like Barcelona for attacking possesion football & Stoke for an aggresive long ball game but they are missing the massive middle ground.

Swansea aren't good enough to attack like Barcelona - who are only ever 4-5 passes away from Messi popping in and lobbing the keeper.

The most dangerous they looked came from two long balls at the start of the second half - surely that's better than passing it around the centre circle?

I do support playing the game right but that's not what Swansea were doing and we weren't exactly playing long balls every time we got it, not even close. We got two goals - Swansea barely got close to one.

Keeping the ball in the middle of the park and being unable to do anything with it is not dominiating a game - keeping a team quiet - massaging their ego by letting them have the ball & then taking them apart with incisive attacking balls & finishing is dominating a game.

As we've now shown the rest of the league how to play them I imagine they could be in for a difficult second season unless they learn to actually do something productive with the ball.

Fish, I think you've earned the right to go and hoy that on that thread on the Swansea board. Quote one of the whiny wankers who was giving it the big licks earlier in the week.

Done :D

Magical finish by PDC, absolute magic. I believe Ba is a good striker but I don't expect him to score a goal like that. He'll bury chances and half chances, but Cisse ... to score that kind of goal takes another way of thinking, to spot that kind of opening... Magical. Ba did look a little frustrated and I hope he gets another couple of goals soon, I'd fancy Pardew to ask Cisse to spend more of the Bolton game on wide, especially if he gets his customary early opener.

Pardew got the tactics spot on; Swansea are great at keeping the ball, but lack the incisive ball player to really unlock defences, nor the clinical striker to punish teams. Tell you what, if they had Cabaye or Cisse they'd have won comfortably.

Swansea remind a little of FIFA/Pro Evo players who just pass it around their defence/midfield for half the match, trying to frustrate you.

I like that FourFourTwo stats app image that's being passed around - loads of passing in the middle of the park but hardly any differencec between possession in the penalty areas.

Will they be a force to be reckoned with when they've improved on the Graham/Lita/Moore strikeforce they currently have? Maybe. Teams have figured them out, and I think they get a bit more credit than they truly deserve. The Barca comparisons are not fair - Barca are (naturally) far more incisive. Swansea just pass it around a lot, trying to tire teams down, then scoring late on when the other team is out of energy after chasing shadows all match.

Guest CabayeAye

;)

Anyway, this from Brendan Rogers.

"It is a big credit to our play for little Swansea to dominate the game like we did against a team challenging for the Champions League positions. It will be interesting to see the possession statistics.

"It wasn't far off parking the bus from them which, you've got to say, for a team like ourselves coming up from the Championship last season, to be given that respect is incredible.

It will be interesting to see the possession statistics. :lol: Blatantly got a wank pencilled in. I'd be fucking fuming seeing those comments if I supported them.

"If we have the ball they can't score"

From the origin of the Swansea 'philosophy' which to be honest - I think they've got very wrong.

If Swansea fans weren't so up their own arses that would have been a boring game for them, they didn't boo their own long balls did they? Football doens't have to be one or the other and that's what they don't realise. Some teams take it to extremes like Barcelona for attacking possesion football & Stoke for an aggresive long ball game but they are missing the massive middle ground.

Swansea aren't good enough to attack like Barcelona - who are only ever 4-5 passes away from Messi popping in and lobbing the keeper.

The most dangerous they looked came from two long balls at the start of the second half - surely that's better than passing it around the centre circle?

I do support playing the game right but that's not what Swansea were doing and we weren't exactly playing long balls every time we got it, not even close. We got two goals - Swansea barely got close to one.

Keeping the ball in the middle of the park and being unable to do anything with it is not dominiating a game - keeping a team quiet - massaging their ego by letting them have the ball & then taking them apart with incisive attacking balls & finishing is dominating a game.

As we've now shown the rest of the league how to play them I imagine they could be in for a difficult second season unless they learn to actually do something productive with the ball.

Totally agree. There is no 'proper' way to play. The best way is the most effective way. This season, we out-Stoked Stoke, long balled Man U to death and played cutting, attacking football the last few games. We knew what Swansea were going to do, and we soaked it up and hit them hard on the counter with our better players. That's the difference between us and them. They're a on trick club, and it's not a particularly effective trick, either. Now that teams are seeing through it, they'll sink like a stone and be gone by the end of next season. They are a prime example of a newly promoted team coming up, doing well at first, getting found out, then sinking without a trace.

I like that about Pardew - tactically he seems versatile if that makes sense. We can play different types of football - counter-attacking, on the ground, direct, offensively, defensively. He adapts the team to suit the opponent, and that's how it should be. If it means we sacrifice playing pretty football once or twice, then so be it. No "if we lose at least we'll lose playing good football" nonsense.

Watching Rodger's comment about the beautiful football they played late last night was a perfect end to the day. He said they just couldn't put the ball in the net - no you didn't create any chances.

Like I said before I actually felt of the two fixtures this season, we were the unlucky ones more than they feel they might be. We dominated the game at SJP (including possession), hit the woodwork 2-3 times etc. At least that day we really tested their keeper.

End of the day it's about goals.

Guest CabayeAye

Like I said before I actually felt of the two fixtures this season, we were the unlucky ones more than they feel they might be. We dominated the game at SJP (including possession), hit the woodwork 2-3 times etc. At least that day we really tested their keeper.

End of the day it's about goals.

Goals mean points, points mean prizes.

Posession means fuck all, and wins you a hard on from Sky.

I'd take trophies over Sky bullshit, any day! :D

Thing is there are two ways to play possession football. Like Tom said Swansea's attitude is 'we can't concede when we have the ball' while some other teams who play possession football have the attitude that, 'we can't score without the ball'. That's really the crux of it. Swansea play possession in an effort to not lose first and foremost. It's not a slight on them, like others have said they don't have the coin to go out and buy £10m players, but at the same time they don't deserved to be lauded as though they play the best football in the pl.