FAO Admin /Mods

Toonraider

Just wanted to pick your brains really. I've used a phpBB forum for a few years that i really enjoy being a member of, but recently things have not been so good, with people not getting on so well, arguements, spoilt threads etc etc (you know the score) The forum owner closed down the chat section for a few days but has re-opened it now. Thing is, he's disabled the private messaging facility because a few people had received nasty pms. He says if he lets us use it again, it will only be under the understanding that admin could have access to and read pms :D

Surely that breaks data protection laws? Do you know if he can rightfully do this? Can you do that on here? It just seems wrong to me.

I suggested the best way is to have the buddy thing, where you can block pms from certain people.

I'm no "law expert" or whatever, but I'd imagine that, if he owns the board, you don't pay to use it, and he's made it perfectly clear to EVERYONE on the site that PMs may well be read (by putting it in the ToS, for example)... He isn't technically doing anything wrong.

I stand to be corrected though...

It's the same as a company which provides email reading all of your emails. As long as it's stated that they have the right to do so, it's perfectly legal.

That's a change in the data-protection act, but he's legally allowed to do it.

I cant work out what he hopes to gain by reading PMs though, if someone receives dodgy PMs then let them forward the offending items to the Admin for them to deal with, otherwise is he going to read all PMs? busy man (especially if Ritchies recruiting :D)

Not having a go at the people that post on this forum you're talking about, Toonraider, but why doesn't he just tell people to ignore these nasty PMs? They could be deleted without even opening them. The idiots sending them would soon stop and it would mean he wouldn't have to go ahead with this reading of everyone's PMs. It seems a bit daft that some nasty PMs have caused this much hassle.

Or is it a PMT discussion forum? If so, I take everything in this post back. :D:blush:

Not having a go at the people that post on this forum you're talking about, Toonraider, but why doesn't he just tell people to ignore these nasty PMs?  They could be deleted without even opening them.  The idiots sending them would soon stop and it would mean he wouldn't have to go ahead with this reading of everyone's PMs.  It seems a bit daft that some nasty PMs have caused this much hassle. 

Or is it a PMT discussion forum?  If so, I take everything in this post back. :D:blush:

5981[/snapback]

No.........but its an Ipswich forum :D

I dont know what he really hopes to gain by doing this peasepud, maybe he feels the threat of it will stop people doing it? Though he has banned a few posters now, so i dont see the point, It does seem morally wrong to me.

Trouble is most of the members on there know each other well in 'real life' and naturally they dont all get on and have their own favourites, probably most of them wouldnt mix in everyday life, but the forum itself started meetings, events and travelling together for away games which has thrown them together alot for the last couple of years and now its going pear shaped. Two of the members have now started up their own forums, and theres a divide, its a real shame as it was once a top forum with a very friendly 'family' feel to it.

Pah, it's easy anyway. He just has to mess up the database so that members can read other people's PMs...

5982[/snapback]

:D have i missed summit?

6007[/snapback]

Yer, that pm wasn't meant for you. :blush:

Pah, it's easy anyway. He just has to mess up the database so that members can read other people's PMs...

5982[/snapback]

:D have i missed summit?

6007[/snapback]

Well, a couple of years when the original toontastic went tits up I was Bridget for a couple of days and could have read all her PMs...