champions league

Dr Gloom

who'd have thought we'd be challenging for a champions league place at this stage of the season? not me, i can tell you!

but we're up there on merit and we're hitting our second patch of form at just the right time. if we can keep this run going like we did at the start of the campaign, we'll be right up there in the mix.

the question is, is there enough quality and depth in the squad to nick a 4th place finish and secure a place in europe's top table next year?

i'd be more than happy with 6th but the longer this run goes on, the greedier i'm getting.

dare we dream?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if we are, then you should.

Your next few games are all winnable, and whilst the last three are more difficult, you could be facing a Chelsea side deflated after losing 2 semi finals, and a Man City side having just blown the title.

Why not believe?

Edited by Tottenham Dave

All I want is Europa League. I don't think about Champions League tbh. Europa League would be amazing because I think we would actually have a real go at it. If we take 6 points from Bolton and Wigan and other results go our way then maybe yeah...but right now its all about the UEFA Europa League for me.

All I want is Europa League. I don't think about Champions League tbh. Europa League would be amazing because I think we would actually have a real go at it. If we take 6 points from Bolton and Wigan and other results go our way then maybe yeah...but right now its all about the UEFA Europa League for me.

agreed

Basically I can't see it happening, I think we can challenge with Chelsea for 5th place but it would require some great form from us and Spurs or Arsenal to drop quite a few points.

I don't understand the "ooo let's just stick to the Europa" attitude.

It's not "Lets stick to Europa" attitude it's the "Not getting ahead of ourselves" attitude. Fair play mate if your confident of Champions League but I don't wanna get too ahead of myself, If all we get is Europa League i'd be delighted. Start of season I cant see many of us expecting that.

We don't want to get into the champions league and jeopardise the push for the champions league next season.

Qualifying for the CL this season but not next season would confirm our place as a club that is never going to progress. That's simply not a risk I'm prepared to take.

We don't want to get into the champions league and jeopardise the push for the champions league next season.

:lol:

It's always made me scratch my head when Prem sides (including my own in the past) have fielded weakened sides in the UEFA Cup/Europa to concentrate on qualifying for the very same competition for the following year.

I was gutted at Spurs' half arsed effort in the Europa League this season as we had the player to win it.

Instead, we rested the best players so we'd have more chance of qualifying for a competition that only Barca, Real or United can win.

Madness.

That said, it was nice to knock AC Milan out, and I suppose those 'nights to remember' are what football is all about.

It's always made me scratch my head when Prem sides (including my own in the past) have fielded weakened sides in the UEFA Cup/Europa to concentrate on qualifying for the very same competition for the following year.

I was gutted at Spurs' half arsed effort in the Europa League this season as we had the player to win it.

Instead, we rested the best players so we'd have more chance of qualifying for a competition that only Barca, Real or United can win.

Madness.

That said, it was nice to knock AC Milan out, and I suppose those 'nights to remember' are what football is all about.

Agreed. That is why I'd like us in the Europa league cause I think we'd go for it

It's not "Lets stick to Europa" attitude it's the "Not getting ahead of ourselves" attitude. Fair play mate if your confident of Champions League but I don't wanna get too ahead of myself, If all we get is Europa League i'd be delighted. Start of season I cant see many of us expecting that.

I'm not saying I'm confident, but we're 2 points away (albeit with the teams above having a game in hand) and there's 6 games to go. Playing "let's not think about it" is daft.

As for "going for it" in the Europa, I think winning it is a bit of a pipe dream once the CL teams drop into it. We're not gonna just enter it and win it in our first year back in Europe for a while. But the cash on offer in the CL would put us in with a much better chance of doing something in future than a bit of a run in the Europa would.

O'Neill's Villa did it.

They were progressing nicely in the UEFA Cup, only for him to send out a reserve team to concentrate on the league so his side could qualify for the UEFA Cup.

Barmy.

They were in the CL spots at the time and that's why he wanted out of the UEFA Cup. When you look at the money involved in the CL it's hard to argue with his choice.

Edited by ewerk

I'm not saying I'm confident, but we're 2 points away (albeit with the teams above having a game in hand) and there's 6 games to go. Playing "let's not think about it" is daft.

As for "going for it" in the Europa, I think winning it is a bit of a pipe dream once the CL teams drop into it. We're not gonna just enter it and win it in our first year back in Europe for a while. But the cash on offer in the CL would put us in with a much better chance of doing something in future than a bit of a run in the Europa would.

Yup.

Qualifying for the CL this season but not next season would confirm our place as a club that is never going to progress. That's simply not a risk I'm prepared to take.

If we made it to the Europa its still no guarantee we'd do it again next year. However a CL finish now and the extra cash with it that could allow to us to strengthen the squad better than we otherwise would might give us a better chance of being consistent finishers in the top 6 or 7 over the next few years. And there's that gut feeling, playing in the CL again...would be magic...even if for one season

I think the race is definitely on, we are not the favourites for it though and dont think Pards will publicly say we are going for it, but it you can tell from the way the team is playing it is definitely on!

Edited by aimaad22

O'Neill's Villa did it.

They were progressing nicely in the UEFA Cup, only for him to send out a reserve team to concentrate on the league so his side could qualify for the UEFA Cup.

Barmy.

They were in the CL spots at the time and that's why he wanted out of the UEFA Cup. When you look at the money involved in the CL it's hard to argue with his choice.

We're they?

Ok, well my memory is shite then, but even so, go for a trophy rather than aiming to be involved in one you have bugger all chance of winning.

Poxy money.

Edited by Tottenham Dave

As Gemma says, it's a 6 game season now so it's feasible goal. We're not thinking about squad depth over 38 games, it's just try and beat what's put in front of you. We're already weakened and players are responding.

Mackems could do us a real favour tomorrow. Come O'Neill you jumpy, pointy-faced little bastard.

Arsenal will lose.

If that happens, and with the extra day's rest, home advantage etc, you'd have to fancy us to beat Bolton on Monday. WIth Chelsea away at Fulham, we've suddenly got a genuine chance of being 4th by Monday night.

A shat amongst the pigeons.

:lol: :lol: :lol::good:

Arsenal will lose.

If that happens, and with the extra day's rest, home advantage etc, you'd have to fancy us to beat Bolton on Monday. WIth Chelsea away at Fulham, we've suddenly got a genuine chance of being 4th by Monday night.

A shat amongst the pigeons.

:lol:

We'll need the rest like as they were absolutely knackered after chasing possession all day today. Not a foregone conclusion by any means but as you say, the extra day is in our favour so we need to count our blessings and capitalize.