champions league

Dr Gloom

Looking at the games to come, it's going to take a monumental f**k up from Arsenal or Spurs for us to get it. Yes, we're level on points with Spurs and only a couple behind Arsenal (5 if they win the game in hand) but their respective run-ins shouldn't cause them enough grief for us to be a concern:

Arsenal

Wolves (A)

Wigan (H)

Chelsea (H)

Stoke (A)

Norwich (H)

WBA (A)

Spurs

QPR (A)

Blackburn (H)

Bolton (A)

Villa (A)

Fulham (H)

Yes I know Spurs tripped up yesterday but we can't expect that to be the norm over the next 5 weeks. Chelsea on the other hand have a nightmare run-in and are most certainly there for the taking.

The ironic fact that many in press are overlooking is that we could finish 4th this season yet not qualify for the CL. UEFA have confimed that if Chelsea finish outside the top 4 and win the CL, they'll be in the competition next season at the expense of the club who finishes 4th.

Now THAT would be hard to stomach!

We're second on form and that momentum counts for a lot.

Arsenal are third on that score so no great reason to think they'll trip up. Spurs are 16th though, and whether it's down to the England speculation or summat else, one win in 6 (from mediocre teams - Norwich, Swansea, Sunderland, Chelsea, Stoke and Everton) is cause for great optimism imo.

Speaking of 'form' I was looking at that earlier. We're second on form for the whole of 2012 (not just the last 5 games). Been a brilliant calendar year.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ironic fact that many in press are overlooking is that we could finish 4th this season yet not qualify for the CL. UEFA have confimed that if Chelsea finish outside the top 4 and win the CL, they'll be in the competition next season at the expense of the club who finishes 4th

You watched ssn recently Craig? They were on about it Loads over the last week or so.

I think most are sensible enough not to talk about it though since they've to best a vastly superior Barcelona side over two legs before playing either mourinhos Madrid or bayern at their home ground.

More chance of us finishing third and not having to worry about it at all tbh

I think Mancini may have gone by the time we face Citeh, and their squad will have a point to prove. Balotelli won't be there to fuck things up for them either. I'd be more confident of beating Chelsea and Everton.

I think they'll probably hang on to him until the end of the season.

The ironic fact that many in press are overlooking is that we could finish 4th this season yet not qualify for the CL. UEFA have confimed that if Chelsea finish outside the top 4 and win the CL, they'll be in the competition next season at the expense of the club who finishes 4th

You watched ssn recently Craig? They were on about it Loads over the last week or so.

I think most are sensible enough not to talk about it though since they've to best a vastly superior Barcelona side over two legs before playing either mourinhos Madrid or bayern at their home ground.

More chance of us finishing third and not having to worry about it at all tbh

I can't be arsed with SSN anymore save for the hilarious self-parodic carry-on on transfer deadline day (Jim White putting his fingers to his ears and uttering "I'm just getting word......" :lol:)

Irrespective, I'll be yelling for a Barca in the CL games.

I think Mancini may have gone by the time we face Citeh, and their squad will have a point to prove. Balotelli won't be there to fuck things up for them either. I'd be more confident of beating Chelsea and Everton.

I think they'll probably hang on to him until the end of the season.

I think the opposite to ksa there, as you say Mancini will be there but expecting an imminent sacking and I reckon most of the squad will already be on their holidays

Speaking of 'form' I was looking at that earlier. We're second on form for the whole of 2012 (not just the last 5 games). Been a brilliant calendar year.

..and speaking of Liverpool, they're still second bottom for 2012 with 2 wins in 13.

..and speaking of Liverpool, they're still second bottom for 2012 with 2 wins in 13.

Beautiful, isn't it? :lol:

Citeh will not sack Mancini before the season's end. They're still in with a shout of the title and Man Utd have to go to the Etihad so it'd be utter, utter madness to get rid now.

If, as we all expect they don't win the title, he'll be out on his ear before the champagne spray from OT reaches Eastlands. A certain 'Special One' may well be in the hot seat come August.

With regards Balotelli, he's Mancini's signing and a player he had at Inter Milan. When his temperament was questioned some 18 months ago, wasn't it Mancini who said something like "I know Mario, I know how to deal with him". Can't see the Citeh owners showing Mancini much respect given that never mind the tremendously embarrassing Tevez situation.