So who actually thinks we will finish 4th?

Kid Dynamite

I think Pardew has been great at times but really the players have been exceptional even with injuries more often than not we've adapted & drawn out good performances from the replacements.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a fluke in that it's happened by chance, but plenty of teams have had great seasons as a "one off" (remember Ipswich finishing fifth then getting relegated, or the mackems in seventh for a couple of years before the same happened). Obviously different circumstances apply but it goes to show that teams can fade after having a great year, and we need to be wary of such a fate befalling us.

Difference is we've currently got a squad capable of continuing it next season (especially if it's added to in a couple of areas).

I can't understand how you can talk about fluke.

The team has been assembled, the players like Perch have been improved, Pardews achieved this utilising the full squad, Pardew foretold last year the style of play he wanted us to play.

I think Fluke does us down and isn't deserved.

I mean if it's a one off season. If we sink back to lower mid table the next few years.

After 34 games last year Chelsea in 2nd had 67 points, Arsenal in 3rd had 64 points, Manchester City had 62 points in fourth & Tottenham 55 points in 5th.

The only team that haven't been reasonably consistent with or better than their last seasons form is Chelsea.

Realistically we've just been ridiculously good.

This all the way, the points and positions are not much different from any other year.

It's not a fluke in that it's happened by chance, but plenty of teams have had great seasons as a "one off" (remember Ipswich finishing fifth then getting relegated, or the mackems in seventh for a couple of years before the same happened). Obviously different circumstances apply but it goes to show that teams can fade after having a great year, and we need to be wary of such a fate befalling us.

Aye that's what I meant.

Credit to all concerned for the success this season.

But everything that has gone on at the club since relegation has showed a club getting the foundations right first and then building from there.

Whether thats wages, recruitment, staffing levels at SJP, undersoil heating at the traing ground, long term contracts and the type of players we are buying.....

All these things point to a direction of travel not a season of flukey results imo.

But everything that has gone on at the club since relegation has showed a club getting the foundations right first and then building from there.

Whether thats wages, recruitment, staffing levels at SJP, undersoil heating at the traing ground, long term contracts and the type of players we are buying.....

All these things point to a direction of travel not a season of flukey results imo.

Exactly. We've signed some top quality players that are doing the business now that they've settled in to the English game a little better.

I've faith in the managerial staff to get the best out of the team as they have done all season. The man management has been absolutely spot on, who would have thought that the likes of Perch for example would come on in strides? He was utter shite for us, now he's proving to be more than up for a role in the first team.

It'll be difficult to qualify for the Champions League next season but if we keep the same core group of players and strengthen the weaker areas of the squad, we'll definitely be up there again.

I acknowledge the points made by MT/CT - like I said, different circumstances apply to the examples I mentioned and us. I don't expect us to disappoint next season, but however good your team is you can still follow a good season with a duffer.

CT's right. The only way this team will slide dramatically is if there's a hatchet job imo.

It would be perfectly possible for the same team to fall 10 points short and be clinging onto/missing out on EL, rather than pushing for CL. As good a the team looks, our natural level might be 10 points less if we've overachieved this season.

It would be perfectly possible for the same team to fall 10 points short and be clinging onto/missing out on EL, rather than pushing for CL. As good a the team looks, our natural level might be 10 points less if we've overachieved this season.

Have we overachieved then?

Nobody expected this but.....

Lots have said all season that we've ground out results without playing well. The way we have been playing lately is the way we thought some of these players could play if they clicked!

Having lost Ben Arfa, Marveaux and Steven Taylor you could wonder where we would be had we clicked earlier.

The positive thing is I don't think we've had many fluke results, we've only got one win against the other teams in the top 6 so far but what we have done is beat the teams we should be beating anyway, which is where other clubs (like Liverpool) have slipped up.

Tottenham still favoured in top-four fight as Newcastle climb clear

Newcastle boast three-point lead but daunting run-in promises twists

The four-team scrap over the Premier League’s final two Champions League places promises to go the distance despite Saturday’s results seeing Arsenal and Newcastle earn breathing space over chasing Tottenham and Chelsea.

There was no winner or goals in the lunchtime clash between Arsenal and Chelsea, an outcome widely viewed as better for the visitors, though it leaves the Gunners seven points clear of their capital rivals, who have only 12 left to play for.

Consequently, those dropped points at home to Wigan and Chelsea haven’t altered their billing as top-four near certainties at 1/20. The Blues by contrast are 2/1, yet Champions League glory (13/2) would guarantee them a spot.

Newcastle pounced on that draw however, cruising to a 3-0 victory over a Stoke side with far less at stake, a Yohan Cabaye double and the standard Papiss Demba Cisse goal helping them claim a sixth successive triumph.

That lifted them to fourth, piling the pressure on Spurs prior to their short trip to QPR. They failed to handle it, former employee Adel Taarabt inflicting a 1-0 defeat that makes it one win in nine for the one-time title challengers.

But even though Newcastle are now three points above Harry Redknapp’s men with four games remaining, they are 6/4 to secure a Champions League slot to the north Londoners’ 5/4.

The doubt is provided by a rather intimidating closing sequence which forces the Magpies to travel to Wigan, Chelsea and Everton and host Manchester City, four clubs likely to have a lot riding on those fixtures.

Tottenham’s schedule is slightly less scary, taking them to Bolton and Aston Villa and sending Blackburn and Fulham to White Hart Lane, but they require an immediate change of fortunes.

Alan Pardew’s Premier League success at Redknapp’s expense isn’t expected to help him pip the Spurs boss to the England job however. Redknapp is still a dominant 4/11 favourite, with Pardew a 20/1 outsider.

http://news.ladbroke...ear_103115.html

So...

Arsenal 1/20

Spurs 5/4

Newcastle 6/4

Chelsea 2/1

I wouldn't necessarily say that we have overachieved, I think we've played to our full potential given the players available for us while teams such as Spurs and Chelsea have clearly underachieved. To maintain this next year then we need to improve our playing squad or hope that another couple of clubs have poor seasons.

Everything this year has gone according to plan. A plan most of us thought would see us finish upper mid table at best.

If the same plan works again next year, it'll be difficult to argue this season was a flash in the pan.

The positive thing is I don't think we've had many fluke results, we've only got one win against the other teams in the top 6 so far but what we have done is beat the teams we should be beating anyway, which is where other clubs (like Liverpool) have slipped up.

We've taken all 3 points from loads of teams that deserved more from the game.

Fluke is the wrong word, but earlier in the season games were much much tighter. That we've won the last 5 by at least 2 clear goals each says a lot about how those earlier battles have built our confidence....and our new found attacking flair.

Difference is we've currently got a squad capable of continuing it next season (especially if it's added to in a couple of areas).

And that's what it boils down to - adding to the squad that has performed so well. Keeping this group of players together.

I'd hate to see the same transfer strategy we employed again last summer - selling 4 senior players worked this year but I'd hate to think the team is going to be rebuilt in that manner every summer. You can't get it that right every year.

Edited by Dr Gloom

I'd hate to see the same transfer strategy we employed again last summer - selling 4 senior players worked this year but I'd hate to think the team is going to be rebuilt in that manner every summer. You can't get it that right every year.

If you look at the three major transfers out last summer, none of them were because we wanted to cash in on happy players. If we get CL football next season then we will be in a very strong position to reject any bids for our players, barring another silly £35m offer for one of them.

And that's what it boils down to - adding to the squad that has performed so well. Keeping this group of players together.

It won't be, there is absolutely no indication it will, last summer was the "house clearance" they'd have liked to keep Enrique but the rest was totally right.

The Colo new contract is the evidence of the "stability and build" we'll be doing from now on, notwithstanding offers of the silly money variety you can't turn down.

We are NOT a selling club any more than any other is.

Seems utterly odd people are worrying about next year rather than enjoying the present. We have thoroughly deserved our place in 4th and given our form I think we will finish 4th or even 3rd if Arsenal slip up. Best season fo ra decade this and I agree with CT and others that sustainable foundations have been set. Anyway, I'm loving this season; going to the match is now something really to look forwards to.

This is the key thing for me. Also, picking up on what CT said, the fact we ground out results initially and now we're winning with greater flair is massively gratifying and a huge bonus but at the same time it's not a complete mystery. It's absolutely reflective of and consistent with what Pardew's been about in his approach generally imo. The first thing has always been: make us difficult to beat. Don't lose games before you've even started. We are absolute past masters at losing a game before it's began because far too often we've been about millionaire dickheads trading on their egos and former glories rather than doing what the genuinely top teams do and putting their reputations on the line every second, with nowhere to hide, in order to win every game. So to start with that was the focus for us. Lots of people didnt like it because we were only just 'scraping' past what are generally considered to be the lesser teams, Ben Arfa wasn't being favoured etc etc. It served a purpose though and it galvanized us and was absolutely right. Then as the season has progressed, when we'd dealt with absolute primary issues such as accumulating enough points to avoid relegation, bought in an additional striker of quality when those circumstances have permitted etc etc, we've been allowed to play a bit more and in the last stretch of games that's really come into it's own and been phenomenal to see.

Seen over the course of a season though, it just mirrors exactly how we approach and set up for games individually imo. First off: don't lose. As the game (season) progresses, try to build and allow yourself to be that bit more adventurous looking for the win.

Where it's been completely unexpected is the fact that I don't think any of us imagined the squad could sustain us to even this stage, being as it doesnt have the greatest depth of quality. What was always completely unfair though and really denegrated the teams efforts at the start of the season was people peddling an agenda by banging on about our 'easy' start. Going back to your initial point Baggio, the start did involve a relatively favourable sequence of games, but we would have absolutely made it our business to piss that opportunity up the wall in the past due to sheer complacency and lack of commitment. This time we didn't and that was entirely down to the attitude, approach and efforts of the team and manager. We beat the teams we should be beating for a change. That gave us a great platform to build on for the season. This is now a late surge and it's been assisted by other teams dropping points and falling away but that's not out of the ordinary either. We still don't know where it'll end but we've been up at the right end all season and that deserves all the recognition going.

Continuing to sustain progress is a massive (and ongoing) task and despite a lot of the guff that gets spouted about 'the past', as Toonpack adroitly pointed out, it's actually been very very rare for NUFC to build on it's former high placed league positions season on season even when we were outspending everyone. So the challenge is massive but I'm glad the focus and sole strategy isn't simply just to throw money at it anymore because that's only ever apeing what the top teams do-in fact what they really do is a lot more and all down to the demands they place on their players.

Don't get me wrong, this now is a team that absolutely demands continued, strategic investment, but it's also a set up that demands patience and a modicum of understanding in recognition of it's achievements this season, because above all else it's a team to be proud of for the first time in fucking years.

We've taken all 3 points from loads of teams that deserved more from the game.

Fluke is the wrong word, but earlier in the season games were much much tighter. That we've won the last 5 by at least 2 clear goals each says a lot about how those earlier battles have built our confidence....and our new found attacking flair.

We've also dropped points in games where we've deserved more so it evens itself out.

Like I said we're beating the teams we should be beating, which is what you have to do to get where we are.