Souness in bust up [agaon]

LeazesMag

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

Souness in Carr collision Jan 2 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Graeme Souness had a bust-up with defender Stephen Carr before the Newcastle squad flew to London for Saturday's game with Spurs.

And the outcome was that, after originally being named in the squad to go to his former club, the 29-year-old former Republic of Ireland international did not even travel.

I understand that at one point Souness asked Carr if he was fully committed to Newcastle United - and there is now talk that the defender may ask for a transfer.

Whether that happens, or whether the incident is dead, remains to be seen.

However, when asked at White Hart Lane on Saturday night whether Emre or Stephen Carr would be available for today's game with Middlesbrough, assistant manager Alan Murray - who is doing a lot of the post-match press work these days - rapped: "Not Emre. I am reluctant to say anything about Stephen Carr because he trained at 9.30 on Friday morning and he was alright, and at 12 o'clock wasn't, so I don't know."

Carr has not played for United since the derby victory over Sunderland at St James' Park on October 23.

He went to Germany a couple of days later for a hernia operation and was followed within the week by Alan Shearer.

And while the skipper missed only one game - at Chelsea - Carr has yet to return to first team duty, and in the present circumstances Souness's frustration is understandable.

However, while I gather Carr's hernia is okay after the operation, he has had a problem with his groin on the other side.

Carr has been booed by Spurs fans whenever he has played for United against his former side and Saturday would have been no different.

Indeed, after taunting Souness on Saturday with chants of "Souness out" and "There's only one Bobby Robson," the ecstatic Spurs supporters turned their attention to their former long-serving full-back.

About 15 minutes from the end the chant of "Are you watching Stephen Carr? " reverberated around White Hart Lane. And, unknown to the Spurs fans, the answer was no.

These are difficult times for Souness, and the bust-up with Carr follows on from a report that said the England Under-21 camp expected Steven Taylor to have the operation on his shoulder after he was injured training with them back in November.

But Taylor only had the op over the weekend and, like Michael Owen, is expected to be out for 10 weeks.