NEWCASTLE UNITED ARE IN EUROPE

Ayatollah Hermione

"If Ashley starts spending large sums of money and we qualify for Europe in the form of Europa League/Champions League every season only then will I turn a blind eye to the level of piss take he has delivered." -- What if he gains regular qualification without spending big, would you be happy or not?

To further expand on that, there's very few clubs that can spend crazy money away each window and have it be a sound policy and that's because their budget is basically bottomless in football terms. This is sides like Barca, Madrid (and probably in a few years if they keep on building overseas branding and getting CL football, Man City) etc who can afford to spend £20 million on someone that could be a flop because they're going to make it all back in a season anyway. Of course, these are all backed up with sound footballing decisions with regards to managers, scouting, training etc which is why you're seeing Chelsea begin to fade since they've had just about none of that since Mourinho left. Shepard set us up like that; finish 13th? Better spend £35 million on players who will flop (because the scouting was non-existant outside of asking their agents if he was any good and seeing if he plays for another big side), and at the end of their contract, will be finished and therefore impossible to recoup ANY sort of money from their spell. This is exactly why we were never getting back into Europe, except through the Intertoto Cup whereas if we'd spent a couple of years out of Europe, concentrated on building league position and naturally strengthening our reputation, we'd have been in a better state.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not celebrating until it's a certainty, doing anything else is inviting disaster and copious mocking from other supporters.

On the where the club is now, yes I think we've been doing fantastically but I can't help thinking we've been a bit more fortunate on occasion than previous seasons (or maybe other teams have been more unlucky). For the record I still think Ashley is a scrote for keeping Llambias as chairman and I'm not willing to consider forgiving him his past indiscretions against the Keegler or the renaming of the ground unless Llambias goes. With that said however I can't take away from what appears to have been achieved so far in the planning of the club, so with that I'm over the moon - though I wonder how much has been pure coincidence.

For the time being it's all there to be enjoyed and it'd be stupid to do anything else really given the opportunity.

Flair still a spacker then? thought he had grown out of it from the days he reckoned he went to public school with Llambias kid (wasn't it?) and was fed ITK info on a daily basis.

I don't see how that has any relevance. If I have a different opinion to you, it makes me a 'spacker'? I thought a forum was for discussing opinions. I think it is you who should be the one growing out of bad habits, not myself.

Edited by Flair

I'm not celebrating until it's a certainty, doing anything else is inviting disaster and copious mocking from other supporters.

On the where the club is now, yes I think we've been doing fantastically but I can't help thinking we've been a bit more fortunate on occasion than previous seasons (or maybe other teams have been more unlucky). For the record I still think Ashley is a scrote for keeping Llambias as chairman and I'm not willing to consider forgiving him his past indiscretions against the Keegler or the renaming of the ground unless Llambias goes. With that said however I can't take away from what appears to have been achieved so far in the planning of the club, so with that I'm over the moon - though I wonder how much has been pure coincidence.

For the time being it's all there to be enjoyed and it'd be stupid to do anything else really given the opportunity.

We've definitely been lucky in the sense that Chelsea are basically a shambles behind the scenes and that Capello's resignation basically fucked Tottenham's dressing room but looking at us in correlation to that first point (and in direct comparison to Chelsea), it shows we're heading in the right direction for progress into the top ranks.

The fact we're even speaking about finishing above Chelsea this year is amazing to me. I find it almost impossible to begin complaining.

Flair still a spacker then? thought he had grown out of it from the days he reckoned he went to public school with Llambias kid (wasn't it?) and was fed ITK info on a daily basis.

I don't see how that has any relevance. If I have a different opinion to you, it makes me a 'spacker'? I thought a forum was for discussing opinions.

Yet the only thing you wanna discuss is that...not everyone elses comments.

I don't see how that has any relevance. If I have a different opinion to you, it makes me a 'spacker'? I thought a forum was for discussing opinions. I think it is you who should be the one growing out of bad habits, not myself.

The relevance is you were spouting complete bollocks then and for some reason I had thought you had grown out of it.

That last sentence has got Leazes written all over it. Are you a dummy account?

The relevance is you were spouting complete bollocks then and for some reason I had thought you had grown out of it.

Still think you shouldn't resort to petulant name calling for no apparent reason.

It is fine you disagree with my opinion.

In reference to everyone else:

How much was Cisse? £9m

That is the sort of money we should be spending regularly.

You keep highlighting successes, there have been failures too. We just haven't bought enough players.....we should have signed more players. We let Enrique go, replaced him with Santon. Williamson has been our first choice CB for most of the year.

Gosling - Hasn't been good.

Perch - Decent recently but been hopeless for a long time.

Obertan - Not a quality little winger, yes?

I am not saying we shouldn't sign cheap players but we should also be spending money.

Edited by Flair

That's just how it is. It's mere circumstance. You'll get clubs in their situations every season and it's up to your club to take advantage. If you're talking about incidents in games, for every lucky moment I could find you an unlucky/unfair one. I don't think we're any more lucky than any other club in that respect.

To call us lucky and to put it down partly to "pure coincidence" does the players and staff a disservice. Tbh it makes you sound like you're looking for an angle with which to complain, as if you have to be cynical.

"get promoted" we'll never stay up by selling our best players... "stay up" we'll hover around the bottom if we just sign free transfers like Ba and cheap deals for £5M. "Ba bags a hatful and Tiote/Cabaye are class".

"we'll never get in Europe with this spending policy" currently in 5th, one foot in Europe and fighting for a CL place..

"We'll never progress unless we spend big"

:lol: seriously man

Aquirring players is the aim - not spending money, our recruitment policy has been a massive success!

The current financial policy is fine for where we are at; but to get to the next level, we need to spend money. We were meant to be seemingly thankful that Ashley was prepared to spend £9m on Cisse. Cisse is a quality buy and worth probably more but we should be spending money like that regularly. You spend money, you get quality, obviously it may not happen if you spend it on shit but no one is saying that. As I say, if he starts spending money, all fine and good.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy. However, I can't see why it suddenly changes the fact that we were regularly qualifying for such competitions under Freddy Shepherd.

"You spend money, you get quality" -- Luque, Owen, Boumsong to name but three.

"As I say, if he starts spending money, all fine and good" -- You sound like a gold-digging slapper who sidles up to the guy with the blingiest watch. Look at this way:-

Carroll + Henderson + Downing + Adam = £78m

Ba + Cabaye + Tiote + Cisse = £18m

Ask yourself out of Liverpool and Us, who has bought the better players?? And who are the mugs??

"I can't see why it suddenly changes the fact that we were regularly qualifying for such competitions under Freddy Shepherd" -- It doesn't, why do you think it does??

People on this board for some reason think spending money is synonymous with buying crap. No one is saying that...

If I were to go into a supermarket, I don't know, lets use Tesco. There may well be some new Italian brand which is cheap or some French varieties of food which seem attractive. It may taste good today and serve the purpose of giving me a meal. However, at the end of the day, when I sit down after grafting many hours at work, I want a quality meal. It is far more worthwhile buying quality products from quality brands to get a nicer meal than continually trying cheap alternatives. Same applies here.

Tenuous ...... and bollocks.

Gosling - Hasn't been good.

Perch - Decent recently but been hopeless for a long time.

Obertan - Not a quality little winger, yes?

2 of those signed as a newly promoted side. Gosling has missed a year with injury and is back in the fold now despite being behind two excellent central midfielders. Is still only 21. Perch may have been bad for a while, has now shown himself to be a tidy player when called upon. Every side needs players like that. Surely it's a decent signing considering he's come good and can cover a few positions? Hasn't looked out of place at all this season against some decent sides.

Obertan is on a 3-year deal and could still yet become decent. Has shown flashes of it away from home.

Really, do you want to compare players we spunked millions on back in the day? Luque, Owen, Boumsong, Martins were all shit. Then factor in the wages that the likes of Viduka, Babayaro, Duff etc were all on. I'd much rather spend a little bit of cash on a young player like Obertan in the hope we can develop him into something decent rather than a load of cash on a 30-something who is finished. Again, HOW is that a bad thing? If Obertan isn't decent, we've not spent much on him, so fuck. None of the signings that have come into the first side have performed poorly.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

We're going to come 6th minimum from the looks of it, 2 years after watching stars like Marlon Harewood we now get to watch a french title winner and current regular in their national side Yohann Cabaye. No idea how anyone can be miserable at the moment, IF Ashley suddenly flogs the whole squad and starts buying shite for cheap then we can all moan but for the moment let's enjoy it eh or just pack in watching football.

+1

Is Gosling only 21? Fuck me.

Just turned 22 according to Wiki. Still young, still time for him to be a handy squad member. Unlike Amdy Faye

You say that but most of Liverpool's buys are young too yet people think it is perfectly fine to write them off. They may become world beaters. I wouldn't put it past Andy Carroll.

Edited by Flair

Is Gosling only 21? Fuck me.

Just turned 22 according to Wiki. Still young, still time for him to be a handy squad member. Unlike Amdy Faye

You say that but most of Liverpool's buys are young too yet people think it is perfectly fine to write them off. They may become world beaters. I wouldn't put it past Andy Carroll.

Gosling didnt cost £35 million though did he?

Obertan is shit like.

Not to say he won't prove to be but that has been said about a lot of the players who have played a big part in us qualifying for Europe.

In the name of objective reason I declare that Obertan is shit. He is essentially a bit part player now in our squad, which is how it should remain if we have European ambitions. He could do a job against some of the Europa teams we'll face in the earlier stages of that competition.

Obertan is shit like.

Not to say he won't prove to be but that has been said about a lot of the players who have played a big part in us qualifying for Europe.

In the name of objective reason I declare that Obertan is shit. He is essentially a bit part player now in our squad, which is how it should remain if we have European ambitions. He could do a job against some of the Europa teams we'll face in the earlier stages of that competition.

He is a bit part player anyway given HBA is playing in his place. Doesn't mean he can't become a useful squad player. Even Shola has become a useful squad player ffs :lol: