United to unveil Sir Bobby Statue

Mr Gittes

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That thing is fucking disgraceful man. :lol:

Imagine before they pulled the sheet off, it would have looked like your classic Halloween sheet ghost. WoooooooOooooOooo the ghost of paedo past.

:spit:

That thing is fucking disgraceful man. :lol:

Imagine before they pulled the sheet off, it would have looked like your classic Halloween sheet ghost. WoooooooOooooOooo the ghost of paedo past.

oh fuck here we go again with the whole "they kald wor Stokoe a paedo man" war ;)

Saw the statue on sunday. It looks nothing like him. If they do these things, they ought to do them properly or not at all.

Only real view I have of it, is I know Sir Bobby was a great football man who was respected throughout the footballing world, a great manager, lovely man, and gave us good times as a manager, but there are 2 people who are more worthy of that and they are Joe Harvey and Kevin Keegan who both served the club with distinction as players and managers and did much better jobs as managers.

Some may not agree, but that's what I think anyway. Speaking of which, the appeal for the Joe Harvey statue of which the Fairs Club are helping to raise funds for, seems to be going very well with lots of ex players, both NUFC and otherwise, chipping in with all sort of memorabilia to help out through the Club [Fairs Club].

Totally agree with you on both.

• 2 months later...

Yeah I reckon you're right. It has some of the style his teams did. Until Souness destroyed it like and then Fat Sam turned us in to a team of heavyweight thugs.

You could see this team under SBR though couldnt you.

Ridiculous how fast that's went. I bet Bobby would have loved this team as well.

Definitely, hard working, fast and proud. The club lost all of that between 2004 and 2009.

SBR probably the finest human being in British footballing history, I hope he finds a cloud over NE1 every weekend when we're at home.

Anniversary of his death tomorrow. :(

indeed; 3 years.

i remember hearing it on the news just before i walked up to the Freeman to see my dad; it was my old man's last day on earth & i told him SBR had gone.

my dad said "i'll see him soon enough" and at 12.30am on 1st august 2009, the day after Bobby went, so did my dad.

visiting the ground covered in scarves on sunday 2nd with the whole family was a cleansing, healing experience & one i'm very glad i had.

i miss sir bobby's benign presence around the club, but i miss my dad in a sharper, more elemental way every single day of my life

• 5 months later...

I do think some people get a bit glossy eyed with SBR.

The FA has announced it is holding The Sir Bobby Robson National Football Day on August 10th as part of their 150th anniversary celebrations.

Lady Elsie says: “I’m thrilled that the FA is involving my family and the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation in their 150th anniversary celebrations.

“My husband was immensely proud to represent England, both as a player and as a manager. We had a wonderful quality of life in Suffolk and it was no small thing for Bob to give up being manager of Ipswich. But he just didn’t feel he could turn his country down when he was approached.

“For him, it was a huge honour to be asked and he never took that role for granted. Every game and every result meant the world to him and I think it’s that passion and commitment which people remember so fondly now.”

Lady Elsie adds: “Bob launched his cancer charity in 2008 and right from the start the FA has been on hand to support us. So many people throughout the organisation help us continue the important work the Foundation funds. It means a lot and we greatly appreciate it.

“I’m especially proud that the National Football Day is being named in Bob’s honour. He’d have loved that.

“I think it’s very fitting as it will be a day celebrating and encouraging grass roots football. And Bob never lost his own boyish enthusiasm for the game no matter what was happening off the field.

“He’d also want to know the ins and outs of all the football planned for the day, wherever it was in the country. He always wanted to know the finer details when it came to football.

“He was at the helm of the national side for eight years - and they were eight very challenging years. He missed the week in week out football matches of club football, the kind of adrenalin that comes with that, but it really was the pinnacle of his career.

“He was so close to success in Mexico and Italy and he loved working with the England players. They were so supportive of him and he was never afraid to follow his own ideas, even when those tactics weren’t popular with others.

“To have come from a small Durham mining village and to go on to represent his country was such a big thing. His parents were so proud. Bob gave them one of his England caps and they had glass case made so they could display it in their bungalow in Langley Park.

“But then he was one of five brothers and they all succeeded in their own fields. He never outshone any of them. It was a very supportive family and it was that kind of community. He brought that work ethos with him wherever he went.”

Alan Shearer says: "It’s great news. It just goes to show how highly the job Sir Bobby did for the national team and for football generally in this country is still appreciated. Rightly so.

“We’re very proud of his memory up in the North East, the region that he came from, but his legacy stretches far beyond that and this is a lovely reminder. Not that it’s needed, but I get them wherever I go; Bobby continues to inspire such huge affection and respect.

“He was so proud of his time with England. I know there were some difficult moments for him and some fierce criticism, but his enthusiasm and passion for the game in this country and beyond never wavered at all, which is amazing.

“He left a great footballing legacy, at international level, as well as at his clubs, and now he has a charitable one, too. I know that he would have been thrilled by this honour.”

• 5 months later...

The word legend over used in football, but sir bobby is a legend. Gave us some great memories,, its hard to pick a favourite! !

"Sir Bobby Robson does a jig of delight on the touchline, then remembers that he's nearly 69"

for me, that said so much about the man.

• 2 years later...

Sir Bobby Robson statue set to be unveiled at Vila Sol

Sir Bobby Robson is acknowledged as one of the greatest coaches and managers to have graced the world of football. He was not only an outstanding player and manager but a wonderful human being who would help wherever he could.

There are statues of him at Ipswich Town FC, Newcastle United and in the museum at FC Porto.

To complete the story it is only appropriate that the great man should be honoured in the Algarve where he and Lady Elsie have given outstanding support and encouragement to the Refugio Aboim Ascensão childrens charity.

The unveiling of Sir Bobbys statue will be staged at an event at Vila Sol where his legacy in the Algarve will live on forever more. Over the past twelve years some 842,000 euros have been raised by means of an annual Sir Bobby Robson Celebrity Golf Tournament at Pestana Vila Sol, Vilamoura.

Sir Bobby is remembered by Portuguese football fans for his time at Sporting and winning the Portuguese Primeira Liga and Portugal Cup as manager of FC Porto.

In a week that has seen Portugal win their first major tournament trophy, it is fitting that Lady Elsie Robson should unveil a statue of her late husband sitting on a bench overlooking the golf course where he spent so many happy hours."