United to unveil Sir Bobby Statue

Mr Gittes

Yeh.

Seems to take it all too seriously & to top it off he doesn't seem to be particularly intelligent, more of a childish reactionary.

''Why not a statue of Des Hamilton eh!!?!?! Where will it end!!111'' etc etc

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh.

Seems to take it all too seriously & to top it off he doesn't seem to be particularly intelligent, more of a childish reactionary.

''Why not a statue of Des Hamilton eh!!?!?! Where will it end!!111'' etc etc

Paints himself as a bit of an intellectual powerhouse when a lot of his reactions are just as over-the-top as the people he tries to take the piss out of. Favours condescension to actually debating his points with people and because Twitter is a platform where you can't debate in depth., he can get away with it.

anyway, not the thread for this sort of crack-on, just leave him to get to fever pitch when his tea gets burnt.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

Not worth having a breakdown on twitter but as quite a few have already said, there's probably a canny list of people who should be ahead in the Statue / honour process.

I would even have Sir John ahead of Sir Bobby.

As always with these things its a case of where you start / stop. Blokes in their 70's will be a totally different idea to lads in their 20's.

Paints himself as a bit of an intellectual powerhouse when a lot of his reactions are just as over-the-top as the people he tries to take the piss out of. Favours condescension to actually debating his points with people and because Twitter is a platform where you can't debate in depth., he can get away with it.

anyway, not the thread for this sort of crack-on, just leave him to get to fever pitch when his tea gets burnt.

Yeh exactly, very transparent.

I disagree with Sir John having a stand tbh.

Understandable probably for your age group but having lived through years of shit, sales of Beardsley, Gazza and Waddle etc and heading for the lower leagues, it was his determination that changed the club into what it is today.

1. Don't patronise me - I'll give you a lesson in football culture despite your age. ;)

2. I disagree with the prospect of a business man being honoured in what should be a footballing meritocracy, put him up a statue in the Metro Centre but for me St.James' Park is about football.

1. Don't patronise me - I'll give you a lesson in football culture despite your age. ;)

2. I disagree with the prospect of a business man being honoured in what should be a footballing meritocracy, put him up a statue in the Metro Centre but for me St.James' Park is about football.

Not trying to patronise you, simply pointing out that I will feel different about Sir John Hall having lived through the shit years before he saved and transformed the club.

As you were not born at the time or were still wearing nappies, your viewpoint will understanably be different.

I find the whole thing a bit silly tbh, he was good for us but he also took plenty of money out no doubt.

In addition the entire sycophancy towards owners culture annoys me, Man City fans signing the Sheiks name, oh dear!

@Cognoscentinovo on twitter has been driven insane by the idea of a Sir Bobby Robson statue.

embarrassing crack tbh...

He's a total wank. Me mate met him last home game against Stoke, bumped in to him in The Hotspur, he said he was canny enough in person, but on twitter he's an arrogant arsehole and I'd tell him that's how he comes across.

Edited by McFaul

Aye exactly!

Likes to categorise people as well.

He's a total mug. He's a few years older than me, he was the editor of the fanzine half mag half biscuit which lasted aal of two minutes.

Has the East stand got another name? The Joe Harvey stand would be canny

Despite it being the oldest stand, I still have to remind myself not to call it The New Stand.

As Joe was the manager when it was opened, I think it an excellent idea to call it after him.

Incidentally the first time I sat at a football game was when the New Stand was opened; we lost 2-0 to Luton in the FA cup 4th round in February 73.

The last time I was at a Newcastle game (versus Stoke), I was in the East Stand as well.

Not worth having a breakdown on twitter but as quite a few have already said, there's probably a canny list of people who should be ahead in the Statue / honour process.

I would even have Sir John ahead of Sir Bobby.

As always with these things its a case of where you start / stop. Blokes in their 70's will be a totally different idea to lads in their 20's.

Really? Sir John stepped in and pretty much saved the club. But you can also interpret that as he saw the golden egg and hatched it. Im very grateful for what he done, or had the balls and vision to do, but a statue? no.

Joe Harvey is one that it seems odd we have no recognition of. What Sir Bob done for the place you could draw parallels to what KK done. I never have a bad word to say against KK but the club turned in to something he didnt like. SBR I dont think would ever have left. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth how the whole thing was handled. anyway, to be the statue isnt just about what he done for the club while here, its what he done for here, football as a whole and the region outside of football. Who else can you say the same about?

It's probably not a great discussion to have on here JawD because you will have idiots who think discussing this is an "attack".....

However.

I do think some people get a bit glossy eyed with SBR.

I don't particularly think he did anything for the region or the club prior to been appointed manager.

Purely on managing I think KK did much more for the club and Joe Harvey.

So that leaves the man, everyones adopted Grandad, and his very public battle against cancer.

No argument from me that he was a lovely man but I certainly agree with the poster who remarked that it was more of a populist / PR move.

It's probably not a great discussion to have on here JawD because you will have idiots who think discussing this is an "attack".....

However.

I do think some people get a bit glossy eyed with SBR.

I don't particularly think he did anything for the region or the club prior to been appointed manager.

Purely on managing I think KK did much more for the club and Joe Harvey.

So that leaves the man, everyones adopted Grandad, and his very public battle against cancer.

No argument from me that he was a lovely man but I certainly agree with the poster who remarked that it was more of a populist / PR move.

Well, prior id agree he didn't. I don't know how much he was even in the region, working abroad etc.

Purely on managing then yes, there are others equal. But I think because of all else, he deserves it.

As for being a PR move, whether it was or wasn't, the club can't win on that front can they?

Ashley's personally done more for the club than Robson. Let's build a statue of him rather than bend to the whim of the majority

Nonsense, it's a symbiotic thing. The fact a legend on the world stage of the game, came from and managed Newcastle is something the club can boast, making him an ambassador after death. While respecting all other past managers and players, no other has that international respect.

There's 3 tributes to the man now like. Should have just had a statue to start with.

Ashley's personally done more for the club than Robson. Let's build a statue of him rather than bend to the whim of the majority

Nonsense, it's a symbiotic thing. The fact a legend on the world stage of the game, came from and managed Newcastle is something the club can boast, making him an ambassador after death. While respecting all other past managers and players, no other has that international respect.

Aye, for me it's as much a recognition of what he did for the game than what he did for us. Amazed this actually needs spelling out to people tbh.