Obertan or Marveaux

LeazesMag

He's not been coached like that though, clearly. He'll check back and try and keep possession if the ball isn't on. If it takes coaching him to play wide right in that front 3 of ours and float around, stretching defenses, he could be canny.

I know, but he doesnt have the fotballing intelligence to do anything other than be a limited winger who is very good at the few things he does. Look at Valencia ( not comparing them at all aside from this one paralell), quite onefooted and not the most versatile player around but the one thing he does, he does remarkably well.

Obertan has two strengths and that is a good technique and blistering pace. If he does anything other than capitalize on these two abilities he will not be wellrounded, just incredibly average.

If we hardcoded the command "run with the ball and get it in the box" he could easily be a very good winger, but he has to know his own limitations and strengths first and foremost.

I don't know, it seems an age ago but wasn't Obertan starting to look half decent just before his injury?

By that point expectations were so low that any completed pass would make you uhm and ahh.. he was horrible by any normal standards throughout his spell, with the odd good involvement every now and then

I think it may be possible that Obertan isn't a natural footballer. Think of HBA. Even before he could walk his feet were like magnets for the ball. He is genetically predisposed to be a footballer. He can do things that other human beings could not do, even if they practiced for the same length of time as he has, with the same intensity. How many footballers in the world can regularly discombobulate fellow professionals with the apparent ease that he does, at the highest level? A select few. He is one of the better dribblers in the world at the moment.

Then we have Obertan. He is academically capable, and got a degree in some shite. He studied for years and wrote dissertations while HBA was putting people on their arses. Unfortunately, football is played with BALLS, and not with PENS and PAPER. Obertan is personable, and can remember things that the manager says to him, because he is literate and listens well. This endears him to the manager, the manager thinks, "oh, he's my special boy," and thus he ends up in the team. The manager is blind to the reality of how shit he is at football because of his feelings towards him. Alex Ferguson only realised this and got rid of him because the standard of player is so high at Man United that Obertan's incompetence stands out EVEN MORE than it usually would. The penny finally dropped when Rooney and Nani were doing kickup drills with golf balls and Obertan was still rummaging around some bushes after his fifteenth attempted cross flew out of the training complex.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

Marveaux has been class previously and has shown glimpses here.

Obertan has pace and has also shown some decent stuff and is still very young.

What you can not discount is the Pardew effect. If he can transform Rtaylor and Perch, then who is to say he cant get more out of Obertan?

As things stand however, I would prefer to see Marveaux start than Obertan.

agreed

I think it may be possible that Obertan isn't a natural footballer. Think of HBA. Even before he could walk his feet were like magnets for the ball. He is genetically predisposed to be a footballer. He can do things that other human beings could not do, even if they practiced for the same length of time as he has, with the same intensity. How many footballers in the world can regularly discombobulate fellow professionals with the apparent ease that he does, at the highest level? A select few. He is one of the better dribblers in the world at the moment.

Then we have Obertan. He is academically capable, and got a degree in some shite. He studied for years and wrote dissertations while HBA was putting people on their arses. Unfortunately, football is played with BALLS, and not with PENS and PAPER. Obertan is personable, and can remember things that the manager says to him, because he is literate and listens well. This endears him to the manager, the manager thinks, "oh, he's my special boy," and thus he ends up in the team. The manager is blind to the reality of how shit he is at football because of his feelings towards him. Alex Ferguson only realised this and got rid of him because the standard of player is so high at Man United that Obertan's incompetence stands out EVEN MORE than it usually would. The penny finally dropped when Rooney and Nani were doing kickup drills with golf balls and Obertan was still rummaging around some bushes after his fifteenth attempted cross flew out of the training complex.

:lol:

Perch did blatantly hide when he was playing fullback, pushed miles up the pitch to shed himself of defensive responsibility. He's a different much more focused and disciplined player now - he sticks to the job that he is sent out there to do. I think part of that is a result of having to win his way back into the team.

For Obertan it's all in the head. Marveaux looks very attack minded and I think will be best suited as an impact sub because of that. His injury record unfortunately spams for itself.

:aye:

For Obertan it's all in the head.

He's certainly got something wrong with his head. It looks like a testicle that's been subjected to a bizarre scientific experiment

He's certainly got something wrong with his head. It looks like a testicle that's been subjected to a bizarre scientific experiment

Yeah well "all in the head" sounds like a matter of getting some confidence in, but what about being genuinly fotball thick?

neither imo don't particularly rate either higher than "alright options to have on the bench", Marveaux is one of those injury risk gamble signings that hasn't paid off, i think i remember looking and he's played 100games in 6 years or something including as a sub, that's fairly shite

I think either one of them could come good. They just need a bit of time and patience. When any of you start a new job are you immediately the most productive member of the team or does it take a while for you to settle in? Plus these fella's have moved to a new city/country. Give them a chance and judge them over the next couple of seasons. I remember Colo struggling in his first season and look at him now, there isn't a better centre half in the league. Personally I think Obertan has a chance but he obviously needs working on and some support.

His head is a fucking biological oddity. I reckon if you stuck a lit candle in the bottom of a 2 litre pop bottle and an unshelled egg in the top and removed it after 30 seconds, you'll have created your very own Obertan.

He is the love child of Texas Pete's mate 'Skeleton' from SuperTed.

I think either one of them could come good. They just need a bit of time and patience. When any of you start a new job are you immediately the most productive member of the team or does it take a while for you to settle in? Plus these fella's have moved to a new city/country. Give them a chance and judge them over the next couple of seasons. I remember Colo struggling in his first season and look at him now, there isn't a better centre half in the league. Personally I think Obertan has a chance but he obviously needs working on and some support.

It has a chance of turning into King Kenny though, "wait 3 years to come good".

I agree he needs games but we have given him 20 and he looked shiter in the end.

Maybe he will turn into something decent after 60 more games but can we really afford the luxury?

Marveaux has been class previously and has shown glimpses here.

Obertan has pace and has also shown some decent stuff and is still very young.

What you can not discount is the Pardew effect. If he can transform Rtaylor and Perch, then who is to say he cant get more out of Obertan?

As things stand however, I would prefer to see Marveaux start than Obertan.

Seeing as you don't watch any other football than us how can you say that?

Marv for me, the injuries were apparently because instead of getting an old injury fixed properly with surgery they were putting him out again when the pain went down. Now that surgery and a long rehab has occured i expect him to come good.

Obertans reading of the game is shockingly bad at times.

Seeing as you don't watch any other football than us how can you say that?

Could it be all the reviews I read about him when he signed?

Not many of us will have watched Cisse when he signed but a little bit of research quickly shows he's a class act.