Food Expiry Dates

TheMoog

I've just been eating some blue cheese which, if the wrapper is to be believed, went out of date 2 weeks ago - it tasted perfectly fine. I was wondering what other folk on here were like with going by expiry dates and best befores.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most things are fine a bit after the date really, and if they're not then you can tell by look or smell. I'd be a bit suss about blue cheese though, because neither of those indicators really help much. :lol:

Anything like milk I'm funny with. Don't even like it warm (unless it has coffee in it). Bread if there is a bit of mould the whole loaf goes. Any meat stuffs or eggs are binned after the date.

Other stuff depends if it's best before or use by.

A few days ago I found a yoghurt in the fridge a couple of weeks past it's use by date. I opened it, checked it for mould, smelt it, etc. Seemed okay. Until about halfway through where it started to taste a bit funny. Anyway, I just put it back in the fridge. Wonder what it's doing now?

The only thing I'm wary of is milk and rice

Milk just because I like fresh, very cold milk

Rice after watching Jimmys food factory where I found out that reheating rice doesn't get rid of the stuff in it that can make you ill

Aye but it'll be room temperature dammit!

I used to post on harmony central a few years ago and there was once a thread with hundreds of posts in it dedicated to debating whether ketchup should be refridgerated or not

It was an odd place

I had to throw out a milkshake the other day as I couldn't get moved on my drive for lads.

Ahh, always glad for the opportunity to resurrect a golden oldie.

bring.jpg

Food is very straight forward. People have trust their noses for centuries and millennia.

If its foul, it will smell. Hard to miss really.

Pisses me off how much good food is hoyed every day, almost to the point of going dumpster diving.

( if you do, stay away from the food that has been in contact with the juices in the bottom of the bin, that shit is toxic)

I have done it once at the local store, just to see what was actually being tossed. Quite alot actually.. aside from loads of day fresh bakery products, you had premium ham, minced meat, milk etc..

Edited by Lake Bells tits

I've come to the end of a sandwich and noticed that there is mould on it. Didn't do me any harm. Also eaten a chocolate bar without realising the best before date was 6 months before. I was miffed that this shop still stocked it but that tastes fine and didn't do me any harm either. Chocolate is something you can keep for ages apparently

Food is very straight forward. People have trust their noses for centuries and millennia.

If its foul, it will smell. Hard to miss really.

Pisses me off how much good food is hoyed every day, almost to the point of going dumpster diving.

( if you do, stay away from the food that has been in contact with the juices in the bottom of the bin, that shit is toxic)

I have done it once at the local store, just to see what was actually being tossed. Quite alot actually.. aside from loads of day fresh bakery products, you had premium ham, minced meat, milk etc..

Bamp.

Anyone who stores ketchup in the fridge needs to have a word. Severely impairs the flavour.

I always keep bread in the freezer for as and when I need it. This means I never have to throw out perfectly good stuff. It's interesting that homemade bread has less tendency to grow mould than shop-bought. Probably all the shite they put into making it!

So long as something passes the sniff test, it's fine. I'll even cut around a bit of rotten veg as more often than not the rest of it is perfectly fine.