Home Brewing

Christmas Tree

Following the completion of my Astrology hobby I am currently searching for a new one.

While researching wheat beers I happened across an advert for home wheat beer kits.

Now I vaguely remember wine home brewing being quite a hit in the 70's but can't really say I've heard much about it since.

So, any home brewers on here?

Does it take long?

Pros and Cons?

Does it stink the house out?

Etc etc

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you give me a reading CT? I'm Gemini with Virgo rising.

It doesn't stink the house out, beer takes as little as a week iirc, you need a warmish spot or a heat mat.

Get a kit and start with that, if you have access to any caterers just get a hold of a large plastic drum from them.

An enjoyable and rewarding hobby as long as you stick with it. ;)

Edited by trophyshy

not beer, but have gotten into wine making, really enjoying it so far. made a cab-sav 9 months ago, gwertz 4 months ago and currently have an pinot noir on the go as well as a bit of a disaster of an apple wine that started from scratch.

my advice, do not underestimate the benefits of a filter, will change your end product from tasting like its been homemade to being a genuine beer/wine.

Can you give me a reading CT? I'm Gemini with Virgo rising.

It doesn't stink the house out, beer takes as little as a week iirc, you need a warmish spot or a heat mat.

Get a kit and start with that, if you have access to any caterers just get a hold of a large plastic drum from them.

An enjoyable and rewarding hobby as long as you stick with it. ;)

:lol: Of course

People with Virgo rising are often a little understated in their personal mannerisms and appearance, although a lot depends on the position of Mercury (the ruling planet of Virgo) in the chart. Generally, there is an intelligent and reserved aura about Virgo rising individuals that is unmistakable. These are actually somewhat shy people who need time to analyze things around them before they warm up to both situations and people. This quality can be received exactly as that, or it can be received as a rather stand-offish, cool, and even critical manner (depending on the audience).

One of the biggest personality traits of this position is body-awareness. People with Virgo ascendants are sensitive to any discomfort or other signals their body gives them. Many are especially interested and concerned with physical health, and some are attracted to mind-body awareness exercises such as yoga. Virgo rising people are often rather particular about food. Although some have good appetites, there can be an unmistakable pickiness about what they put in and on their bodies.

Virgo ascendant natives have a tendency to worry a lot, especially when confronted with new situations. They notice the tiniest details that others overlook.

Many people with this position have a tendency to attract (or be attracted to) people who need help. Their relationships may be confusing as a result. Despite the Virgo rising tendency to appear rather collected and professional, relationships can sometimes be messy simply because these natives don't always see their partners and partnerships clearly.

There's a quiet charm to many Virgo rising people. Once they have the chance to warm up to new people and situations, you'll find they have a lot to offer. They'll help you out of a jam, go out on a limb for you, and surprise you with a natural modesty under a somewhat critical and standoffish manner.

Re the beer thats quite amazing it takes a week! The brew kit I briefly viewed said something like 40 pints for £13 so canny cheap as well. Guess its a case of finding something you like the taste of.

Cant wait to break the news to our lass :)

not beer, but have gotten into wine making, really enjoying it so far. made a cab-sav 9 months ago, gwertz 4 months ago and currently have an pinot noir on the go as well as a bit of a disaster of an apple wine that started from scratch.

my advice, do not underestimate the benefits of a filter, will change your end product from tasting like its been homemade to being a genuine beer/wine.

I think we need a whole new section as this is something (alcohol) we are all interested in. As you seem the expert surely a mod award is forthcoming ;)

How long does it take you?

like i said never done the beer thing, wine takes anywhere from 6 wks to 12 wks, and the apple disaster has been on the go since Oct.....the Mrs won't let me dump it, she's convinced we can add some bottles of vodka and citric acid to make apple sour-puss, which sounds awful if you ask me.

problem with the apple wine was there was no recipe per say, her father gave the instructions over the phone from memory and i think he over estimated the amount of lemon required to keep it from spoiling, it now tastes like lemon not apple.

A canny site here for the interested.

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/?kw=home%20brewing&fl=407917&ci=12609523040&network=s&gclid=CIbu4J754a8CFY8PfAod0HhcCA

Also... Parky etc they list beer kits from "around the world".... do you know any of these? (need to scroll down the page).

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/beerkits.html

Cant wait to break the news to our lass :)

:lol:

I'd stick to the instructions religiously for your first 2 or 3 batches, don't start dropping in dandelion and coconut till you've earned your stripes.

I used to also make wine when I was a student, just got whatever was cheap and fermented it - strawberry jam, rice, sweetcorn (turned out a bit like shit bourbon). Generally the longer you left in the bottle the better it got, this also seemed to be true with beer.

Good luck!

A canny site here for the interested.

http://www.brewuk.co...CFY8PfAod0HhcCA

Also... Parky etc they list beer kits from "around the world".... do you know any of these? (need to scroll down the page).

http://www.brewuk.co...e/beerkits.html

The German Pilsners should all be pretty tasty. The Weissbeer should be the one you try and master however.

If I had the spare cash would open up a sausage shop.

I want to open a cheese shop in Israel and call it Cheeses of Nazareth.

Anyway, as you were.....

Looked into this a while back but never had a go . One for my dotage I think .

Bit out your way CT but there's a little oldskool shop on Station Rd in Whitley (Elderberry think it's called) .

Ran by a tremendous Antipodean chap who is very helpful and informative . He's got the lot in there .

Make sure you have no pressing engagements prior to visiting - he's top value !

Looked into this a while back but never had a go . One for my dotage I think .

Bit out your way CT but there's a little oldskool shop on Station Rd in Whitley (Elderberry think it's called) .

Ran by a tremendous Antipodean chap who is very helpful and informative . He's got the lot in there .

Make sure you have no pressing engagements prior to visiting - he's top value !

Nice one. Might just have a pop over.