Banning vs Rules

ChezGiven

Agree with Trophyshy.

This place runs very well and peer pressure is usually sufficient to resolve most situations.

There has been an exception to this rule, however that's all it is/was, an exception.

Be a sad day if a list of rules where needed and new mods should refrain from the desire to empire build.

The only rule to live by on here should be wise words uttered by Chez.

"this is our little corner of the Internet".

Let's not go ott because of one person.

You're not that bad CT.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think even Hitler took longer than 3 days for the power to go to his head :lol:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Knacker Jack was removed and this place improved ten fold. It doesn't need to get anymore complicated than that

He Didnt break a rule though. It might be better without you. If stevie asks for you to be banned should it be done?

This is an opportunity to say what should be a banning offence, if it can't be articulated it can't be implemented.

Board is fine as it is.

If there's a problem then deal with it on a case by case basis. Everything else (illegal activities, racism etc) is common sense really. If someone breaks an obvious rule, then do whatever needs to be done. Other than that the leniency of this place has long been one of its best features. Very few have done anything on here that really should have led to them being excluded.

Honestly sounds - not trying to be rude here, you're making positive steps - like a couple of you got a moderating job on here and feel the need to do something with it when it's not required. You mods can't even ban members anyway unless mods have the power to do so (almost exclusively an admin feature on most if not all forums).

Can we just ban this knacker?

Guthrie better than cabaye indeed :lol:

He Didnt break a rule though. It might be better without you. If stevie asks for you to be banned should it be done?

This is an opportunity to say what should be a banning offence, if it can't be articulated it can't be implemented.

Decent moderation should avoid the need for banning.

So what constitutes bad behaviour then?

I set a rule in this thread and have applied it twice, no arguments as the rule is clear. We don't have to have a new rule or rules but I am interested if people who want other people banned can define a rule that addresses a specific behaviour. If they can't, then there is very little argument for any banning other than an infantile 'I don't like his opinion'. The irony should be obvious but it isn't.

This smells a lot like the old magician's misdirection. TA-DAAAAA! Everybody look over here at the new rules, while the virus reinfects the board.

Let's just get to the big reveal that everyone gives a shit about instead of this underwhelming display of fake flowers from up your sleeve. :razz:

It's not a court of law man. He broke the rule of not consistently derailing threads for FUCKING YEARS!

This is what happens when you have more mods than is required. We have Ant to do the techie stuff, Ketsbaia is the work experience boy and the rest of your appear to be moderators without portfolio.

Don't think of yourselves as forum policemen, more like members of COBRA. Largely in the background, unnoticed, until you're called into action, at which time we need men (and a woman) with balls to take the action that is needed and to instruct the marksman to take the shot.

Basically, stop trying to create a role for yourselves that is neither needed nor wanted.

Decent moderation should avoid the need for banning.

Can you define that then please?

I think it's fine as it is and no-one should get banned or further moderated, but the concensus seems to be there are problems that need addressing which aren't defined in the rules, so why can't those that see a problem suggest moderating guidelines, rather than have a random few foist them on the forum?

Going on what I've read, something like....

Thread Blitzing - Responding in 5 threads at once with quick fire smileys and one or two word responses will see all of those posts deleted and 1 week in the creche.

Thread derailing - Any posts that doesn't respect the subject of the opening post will be moved to a thread it does belong in. Repeatedly derailing thread gets 1 week in the creche.

Thread mining - Digging up threads from the past for nothing more than a smiley, or a 1 or 2 word dig gets 1 week in the creche. Threads can be resurrected for informed/detailed posts. Quoting an old post in a new thread to laugh or have a dig is fine.

2ToTango - Any thread that attracts multiple complaints to the mod team will be locked. The 2 top posters in that thread will be placed in the creche for a week.

3 Strikes and Out - Anyone sent to the creche in 3 seperate instances will be banned permanantly.

Can you define that then please?

I think it's fine as it is and no-one should get banned or further moderated, but the concensus seems to be there are problems that need addressing which aren't defined in the rules, so why can't those that see a problem suggest moderating guidelines, rather than have a random few foist them on the forum?

Going on what I've read, something like....

Thread Blitzing - Responding in 5 threads at once with quick fire smileys and one or two word responses will see all of those posts deleted and 1 week in the creche.

Thread derailing - Any posts that doesn't respect the subject of the opening post will be moved to a thread it does belong in. Repeatedly derailing thread gets 1 week in the creche.

Thread mining - Digging up threads from the past for nothing more than a smiley, or a 1 or 2 word dig gets 1 week in the creche. Threads can be resurrected for informed/detailed posts. Quoting an old post in a new thread to laugh or have a dig is fine.

2ToTango - Any thread that attracts multiple complaints to the mod team will be locked. The 2 top posters in that thread will be placed in the creche for a week.

3 Strikes and Out - Anyone sent to the creche in 3 seperate instances will be banned permanantly.

Is that a pisstake?

Gentlemen, this is not a democracy. None of you were democratically elected, you have no constituents, you have no accountability.

The simple question that needs to be answered is, 'will banning this member improve the board?' If the answer is yes then ban them, no need to complicate the issue.

Is that a pisstake?

I reckon the people asking for bans for those things are taking the piss aye...but whether it's Fop or LM, Thompers or Paul Wynn...or Sima people always want someone banned. So lets avoid the debate next time.

The answer to LM is to keep giving him timeouts if it is bothering people that much. That is the way to modify his behaviour and curb his style over a period of time without banning him. He never bothers me that much as I only really skim posts. ;)

The answer to LM is to keep giving him timeouts if it is bothering people that much. That is the way to modify his behaviour and curb his style over a period of time without banning him. He never bothers me that much as I only really skim posts. ;)

I bet you have a naughty step in your house.

• Tom unlocked and locked this topic