Banning vs Rules

ChezGiven

Bascially, there's no rules and therefore rules haven't been broken so they won't ban him.

So, on the grounds of consistency, they need to unban everyone who's ever been banned ever. Simple. Wonder which one's would actually return.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why accept the job of moderator if you "don't give a shit about anyone saying anything they want in any thread"? Isn't that the exact opposite of the job description?I'll ignore the ridiculous attempt to label me a the new Leazes.

Sorry i wasnt lablelling you the new Leazes, just flagging your role in some of these debates. You dont seem to be able to engage with this discussion because you've already decided i am wrong. Wrong about what isnt clear cos its just a thread in general chat. All i have said is that 'rules might be a solution, what do you guys think'. Go over how you came into the debate in response to that OP.

The answer to your question is 'dont know' 'why not' or 'was interested in seeing what the buttons looked like'. I dont take it that seriously but i do think kicking people off is a fairly extreme solution when other ones havent really been looked at much. Like rules and moderation.

Sorry i wasnt lablelling you the new Leazes, just flagging your role in some of these debates. You dont seem to be able to engage with this discussion because you've already decided i am wrong. Wrong about what isnt clear cos its just a thread in general chat. All i have said is that 'rules might be a solution, what do you guys think'. Go over how you came into the debate in response to that OP.

The answer to your question is 'dont know' 'why not' or 'was interested in seeing what the buttons looked like'. I dont take it that seriously but i do think kicking people off is a fairly extreme solution when other ones havent really been looked at much. Like rules and moderation.

Why don't we try it? It could be like Toontastic 2.0. What does everyone else think?

Edited by J69

He's been moderated dozens of times and comes back and does the exact same thing. Newcastle Online had rules that he constantly broke and got banned. When is the penny going to drop that he won't follow rules or moderation? Why waste your time making up rules when we KNOW that the outcome is that he won't follow them?

I don't really think its accurate to say that rules and moderation haven't been attempted with the poster in question though Chez. They absolutely have been. Which is why it's strange that this is being approached as if its a brand new puzzle to solve.

By way of fully engaging in the debate though, if the moderating team thinks that rules are the answer then they should go down that route. I personally think that you can moderate a forum on a common sense basis, particularly one like this which, broadly speaking and with one notable exception, moderates itself.

I think we all know when someone is really pushing their luck, and we all know to keep it decent. I think when you start imposing rules on a bunch of adults who don't need them, it inevitably gets people's backs up.

Well, we can never accuse Tom of being power mad again :lol:

I wouldn't bank on it.

I'm locking this thread.

This was not a premeditated discussion on behalf of the moderators & admins so it doesn't speak for us all. Especially as the instigator talks about rules & potential changes then goes on to edit peoples posts - this is not what we had in mind & we wont see this in future from our new moderators who were brought in to help us - not hinder us.

We will continue to work behind the scenes for a solution, for now however, enjoy the forum as best you can.

The past of the board doesn't necessarily dictate the future so enjoy the now & don't worry too much if your requested change hasn't been made we're putting the wheels back on - honest.

I will happily engage in debate via PM if people feel it needs to be discussed further.

• Tom unlocked and locked this topic