Newcastle United season 2012-2013

OK, by all expectations, and the season is yet to finish, no-one would have predicted that we would have finished in the top 6.

(Personally - I was hoping for a top half finish).

So what are your thoughts for next season ? Here are mine.

If in the CL, to make it though to the league stage - then finish 3 to qualify for EL - if this happens then anything else will be a bonus.

If in the EL, to get though to the quarter finals at least.

and the on top that a top ten finish in the league.

All other cup comps are secondary.

I would also like to think that we could keep the majority of the current first team squad and strengthen in areas mentioned in other posts.

Keeping it B&W,

SCT

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go deep in the domestic cups, ideally to a semi or final.

Top 8.

Don't make cunts of ourselves in Europe.

If we only get to semi then we've not gone ballsdeep.

Think that's about right though, but I'd say top 6 again.

Pretty much.

One good domestic cup run.

Decent attempt in Europe.

Top 6 finish.

A lot is made of needing a strong squad to compete in europe and do well domestically. I showed in a post recently that the majority of times we are in europe we do poor in the league, or at least worse than the previous season. So, to do canny in both I think would be a good result.

We've defo punched about our weight this season - but if we can add to the depth of our squad and not loose anybody - can't see why 6th isnt a possibility with the quality we've got.

Semi in league cup - 4th round FA - quarters Europa

Its hard to predict next season without knowing the outcome of the summer window. If we lose no one of importance and add 2 or 3 good uns then I think we will challenge for the title. Seriously.

:lol: Come on man. Man City have spent half a billion and just got around to challenging for it.

:lol: Come on man. Man City have spent half a billion and just got around to challenging for it.

I appreciate that but money isnt always everything.

Putting aside opinion as to whether people think we have over achieved, the facts are this year we have established ourselves as one of the chasing pack behind the two Manchesters.

Add to that the fact that the quality of our play has improved dramatically over the last two months.

So I see no reason why losing no one and gaining two or three good ones will not see us do even better next year. We might not win it, but I dont see why we cant challenge.

:lol: ok then I'll concede theres a big gap between 3rd and 2nd but I think we will definitely close that gap next year and its just a case of by how much.

It's unlikely next year thats Chelsea and Arsenal will have the horrendous starts to their season that they had this year. Likewise Liverpool and the last ten games for Spurs. I'd imagine next season will be tougher all round. Top 7 at least though for me. Hopefully 6th ahead of Liverpool who have an ageing squad and no money

It's unlikely next year thats Chelsea and Arsenal will have the horrendous starts to their season that they had this year. Likewise Liverpool and the last ten games for Spurs. I'd imagine next season will be tougher all round. Top 7 at least though for me. Hopefully 6th ahead of Liverpool who have an ageing squad and no money

And if you are right this will also lead to more teams taking points off the top two making the whole thing a bit more open.

With what we have at our disposal top 7 should be the minimum. Liverpool surely won't be as shit next season (though I would absolutely love that) so it could be tough to do this again but who knows.

Hope we take the Europa league seriously (and if by chance we make the CL, don't get hammered).

We did alright the last time we played in the Champions league with a worse team. The games against Chelsea and ManU show we can hack it at the top when needed. A lot of our players have European experience too, if not in the CL then at least playing in France and Germany. Half of them will be at the next WC remember

Edited by J69

and the point is?

its not how much you spent but the quality of the players. How much of that money is spent on bench warmers and players like balotelli, dzeko, etc? I wouldnt take any of them.

Not too mention their crap fan base. with the squad they have, they should have wrapped the title 2 months ago

and the point is?

its not how much you spent but the quality of the players. How much of that money is spent on bench warmers and players like balotelli, dzeko, etc? I wouldnt take any of them.

Not too mention their crap fan base. with the squad they have, they should have wrapped the title 2 months ago

The point is that it's gonna be nigh on impossible to bridge the gap on a shoestring. We think we've had a great season this year but we are 18 points away from the top two. That's huge.

The point is that it's gonna be nigh on impossible to bridge the gap on a shoestring. We think we've had a great season this year but we are 18 points away from the top two. That's huge.

aye, true, but big difference between shoestring and spending billions on transfers. IMO there is a sensible middle ground where a team can challenge for the title.

It very much depends on where we finish this season. Champions' League qualification would have massive implications. I would still expect us to strengthen this summer, but our need and ability to will depend massively on the results of the next two games.

All I can say is that I disagree with the original assertion that domestic cups are secondary. We have not won a trophy for 40 years ffs. Liverpool fans are currently mullling over whether this is a good season for them (or will it be if they win the FA cup as well); it's okay for them, they've won what, a dozen cups since the Premiership started. We've won fuck all. And look at the teams who have benefited from regular CL qualification recently - the now defunct Big Four of Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool - all regular fixtures in the domestic cup finals. Success breeds success.

The problem is there are 7 teams who will genuinely believe they could attempt to get into the CL next season not to mention the fact that the likes of Everton will look at us and think "if they can challenge for it, why can't we?". So there's a hell of a lot of competition for these places and so many variables that it's very difficult to know where everyone stands. Who will be Chelsea/Spurs manager next season? Maybe Arsenal will lose RVP or alternatively, keep him and strengthen, maybe Liverpool won't be utter shit. So much to be decided over the summer before we can make proper predictions (which will still be wrong).

Edited by TicTacWoe

Hoping for Europe again the following year and a cup run. Anything we achieve in the Europa or CL next year is incidental for now imo. I'm just looking forward to seeing the club play against European opposition in a competitive match again.

Keep the same team minus a few players being replaced with quality players.

top 7 finish.

if were in the CL get to the group stage and hopefully get to the first round.

If were EL then get to the quarter finals.

FA cup 6th round.

Carling Cup semi finals.

Top 6

Domestic cup semis

Get through the Champions League group stage

1/4 final of Europa

sign a few

lose fringe players

Edit Cisse to end up as the Premier League Top Goalscorer

Edited by The Fish