Newcastle United season 2012-2013

Its hard to predict next season without knowing the outcome of the summer window. If we lose no one of importance and add 2 or 3 good uns then I think we will challenge for the title. Seriously.

We've no chance of challenging for the title but I agree about the importance of the summer transfer window. If we can keep this side together theres no reason why we can't challenge the top 6 again. If half the team is sold off again there's every chance we could return to mid table mediocrity. The gamble worked last summer. That strategy won't work every window. I'm hoping to see a repeat of the January window - quality additions with no key players sold.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its about time we made a serious attempt to win the League Cup or FA Cup and pick up our first domestic silverware since 1955.

It would be a huge weight off our shoulders and we have a team good enough to do it

I think that in order to compete in the domestic cups, Europe and the league, we need a much bigger squad and hopefully Ashley can see that. I don't mind if it's a few more Perches/Raylors/Guthries who Pardew can get playing. Those lads could do us proud at Valeregna or against Scunthorpe.

So, yeah, I'd love to see us have a good cup run next season. I think if we can get two quality new defenders in (right back and centre back) we'll be sorted and ready to go. All depends on who we let go like.

Its about time we made a serious attempt to win the League Cup or FA Cup and pick up our first domestic silverware since 1955.

It would be a huge weight off our shoulders and we have a team good enough to do it

I agree our first team is good enough to beat anyone and given it's a realistic aim, I'm sure we'll take the competitions seriously

• 2 weeks later...

Pardew said on the radio the other evening that they'll be looking into why we have these strange away performances where we fail to turn up. Hopefully it's something that'll be fixed over the summer. Again tactically he's got plenty wrong but he has on occasions learned from these mistakes.

Bit strange how we went all season without ever scoring more than 3 in the league. Can't complain though if the goals were spread over several games as opposed to just being hoarded for one.

We clearly need a different formation to employ away from home, perhaps with Cisse as a lone striker. We need to pack the midfield with an extra player, we've been completely overrun in a few games now. If we had a better squad we would have been able to drop Ba recently, hopefully we can address this successfully in the summer.

What would everyone be happy with?

I'd be happy with:

6th place

Europa League Quarters

FA Cup Quarters

League Cup Quarters

Basically us just maintaining our European status.

If we get Debuchy and Douglas in I'll be happy. Saylor back (albeit he's sure to get injured again) will be a big boost too. We will need to reinforce in midfield as well in terms of backup but probably with some promising young'uns from the continent

How are Everton doing in terms of cash? Would they sell Baines and Pienaar? And if so, why don't we pop a bid in?

The Pienaar they sold to Spurs and have on loan ????

We clearly need a different formation to employ away from home, perhaps with Cisse as a lone striker. We need to pack the midfield with an extra player, we've been completely overrun in a few games now. If we had a better squad we would have been able to drop Ba recently, hopefully we can address this successfully in the summer.

451 away against Spurs next season I hope. ;)

We need to win a cup.

NUFC needs a day in the sun and as a fanbase fuck knows we've been waiting around long enough. The Brighton loss was the big blackspot in an otherwise very good season.

Yeah, I don't want to see us clowning around with ridiculous defeats to blackburn / Brighton / Stevenage next year. We easily have the first XI to win a tournament and I want to see us go all out for the treble next year - UEFA, League and FA Cups

hopes/dreams: top 6 again, win a cup, do well in UEFA

reality: think we will finish 6/7, not win a cup

I would just love to win something, finally, after all this time.

Really looking forward to next season, coming off the back of the Euro's. Bring a couple of players in to strengthen our current squad, be interesting to see what happens regarding other teams spending, can see the usual teams spending shit loads, will be an exciting campaign but unsure if we will finish above Chelsea/liverpool/spurs

I think we can only afford to lose Guthrie, Best, and Lovenkrands, and we'll need 5 good players in to maintain a top 6 finish (assuming the rest strengthen). Our performance level has been too poor in too many games to think that we'll be able to replicate these results next season, having to potentially play an extra fixture every week. Pardew has hinted we'll be using younger players in the Cups, so it should be a big season for Vuckic, Abeid, Sammy et al.

Our performance level has been too poor in too many games to think that we'll be able to replicate these results next season,

Has it?

Only the top 2 lost less games at home than us and until Man City away only the top 2 had lost less games away from home. Fair to say that we've been poor in 4-5 games that we've got points in too, but generally performances have been decent (occasionally more than decent).