Beastie Boys Co-Founder Adam Yauch

Sonatine

Beastie Boys Co-Founder Adam Yauch Dead at 47

Influential rapper was diagonosed with cancer in 2009

By Rolling Stone

May 4, 2012 12:55 PM ET

main.jpg

Adam Yauch aka 'MCA' performs with The Beastie Boys in Irvine, California in 2004.

Adam Yauch, one-third of the pioneering hip-hop group the Beastie Boys, has died at the age of 47, Rolling Stone has learned. Yauch, also known as MCA, had been in treatment for cancer since 2009. The rapper was diagnosed in 2009 after discovering a tumor in his salivary gland.

Yauch sat out the Beastie Boys' induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April, and his treatments delayed the release of the group's most recent album, Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 2. The Beastie Boys had not performed live since the summer of 2009, and Yauch's illness prevented the group from appearing in music videos for Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 2.

Yauch co-founded the Beastie Boys with Mike "Mike D" Diamond and Adam "Ad-Rock" Horowitz in 1979. The band started off as a hardcore punk group, but soon began experimenting with hip-hop. The band broke big with their first proper album, Licensed to Ill, in 1986, and further albums Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head and Ill Communication cemented the band as a true superstar act.

In addition to his career with the Beastie Boys, Yauch was heavily involved in the movement to free Tibet and co-organized the Tibetan Freedom Concerts of the late Nineties. In 2002, he launched the film production company Oscilloscope Laboratories.

Utterly utterly gutted about this.

Stomach went over like with Speed and SBR.

One of my most favourite groups of all time. Saw them live in Glasgow. He looked miserable as fuck. Great show though

Licence to Ill, while good, i find its sophmoric, unpolished, Pauls Boutique on the other hand is where they found their own sound took all the snippets and samples and made masterpieces.

but L2I is still a great album

Probably my favourite band, absolute genius musicians. Gutted, never got to see them live for one reason or another and was one of the things I really wanted to do whilst it was still realistically possible. Their stuff was basically the soundtrack to me and my mates' teenage years.

Got back from France at 9, knew he was ill but still a big shock :(

Saw them 3 times...first one they got bottled off in Glasgow in 87, we got a minibus up from the tech I was attending at the time, fuckin near riot which as 18 year olds we thought was the best thing we'd ever seen!...saw them at Glasto around around 94ish and at Brixton around the same time, utterly brilliant by then, they had it all. That album "Ill Communication" is as good as Pauls Boutique for me, but if you're not familiar with them you could pick any out of the 7 or so studio albums the Beastie Boys have recorded and still be blown away, theyre all a great listen. "Licensed to Ill" still stands up to scrutiny iyam, not as intricate,imaginitive or well produced as later albums but as a straight up party/rock album its as good a you'll hear.

Them and Rick Rubin changed the game where hip hop was concerned, white middle class kids doing ghetto music just hadn't happened before in the US to any great extent. Hugley influential and MCA was a massive part of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEM3dW2oWW4

I feel gutted, absolutely gutted, over this news.

RIP, Adam, you've given us so much enjoyable music over the years.

I can't begin to tell you how much the likes of Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head and Ill Communication to me.

Thank you for that.

Best wishes to his family and Mike and Adam Horowitz.

Such sad news

While recognising the groundshift that Pauls Boutique was retrospectively. I was too young for that at the time. I thought Ill Communication was the best album ever when it came out....and then I thought Hello Nasty was even better. I still get most out of the latter album now, personally.

OeIZf.jpg

I know, we should have tweeted and instagrammed every sad, happy and inspired thought, smile or tear by now. But honestly the last few days have just been a blur of deep emotions for our closest friend, band mate and really brother. I miss Adam so much. He really served as a great example for myself and so many of what determination, faith, focus, and humility coupled with a sense of humor can accomplish. The world is in need of many more like him. We love you Adam. BTW this photo sent to me by a friend, (thanks Saslow) is just one awesome example of how NYC is such a unique place that amidst it's huge size and frenetic pace it really opens up it's heart in so many ways and on on so many levels in times like these. And though it makes me cry sometimes, it has been really amazing and moving to see.

Mike

:crying: