Everton vs Newcastle United Sun 13 May 2012 3.00pm

Andrew

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everton's a tough place to go when they're on a roll. Never mind. I'd have taken 5th and EL if it was on offer at the beginning of the season tbh.

People were happy to take '6th place' as late as March iirc. I agree with all those sentiments but i am a bit disappointed after today mainly because we played so poorly.

People were happy to take '6th place' as late as March iirc. I agree with all those sentiments but i am a bit disappointed after today mainly because we played so poorly.

We should be unhappy with today's result and performance: no excuses. A better standard should be demanded, as it is at other top clubs. For starters, a certain level of performance and commitment is the least the fans deserve, especially as travelling to away games costs so much money these days.

I was disappointed with Pardew's interview in which he played down how bad the performance was. Contrast that with Moye's interview in which he was asked if he was happy with the result and their league position. He said he'd be happy if they came 1st, and would have reason to celebrate if they gained entry to the CL. While that level of expectation may seem ridiculous, the least we should expect is that we compete in every game, and play to win every game: any less is simply unacceptable for a club of our stature with the current squad. And today, we did not compete in the first half: a recurring problem in several performances this season. Credit to Pardew for the changes at half time. Some of the players should be ashamed of themselves today.

or maybe the players have put in a titanic shift in the last couple of weeks and thia was one away game too many?

admit I havent seen the game yet

It was a replica of the car crash against Wigan and non shows against Wolves and the mackems (first half) earlier in the season. 4-4-2, hoofball up field hopelessly and none of our passing coming off. The 4-4-2 works better against the bigger sides when we're willing to bide our time and they're not snapping at our heals and closing us down as much, but it hasn't been particularly effective with Ba and Cisse because none of the long balls actually seem to come off.

See Chelsea away when we were given more time on the ball, we were more patient and we defended competently. Against Wigan and Everton we were not willing to play the long game and got caught out because they won every long ball we played, they forced us into errors and found gaps at the back.

Could have sworn McFaul said you boys were gonna turn us over... hate to prove you wrong (as always) mate but I'm pretty sure we played your boys off the park ;)

Credit to Newcastle though for an outstanding season!

Totally Bizarre match day for me.

Started with the Hare Krishnas in Newcastle and then I arrive at my local to watch the match to find it taken over by 100 travelling Man United fans and assorted Greater Manchester Police!

Then discover that no pub within a few miles is showing the match due to there being very few available streams!

A few minutes to kick off and we find the local "gentlemans club" is not only showing the match but is also allowing women in on match days :lol: (well someones got to wash the glasses)

A cracking little private boozer it turned out to be. Absolutely nipping clean and a loverl array of lagers and real ales.

Not long into the match it was obvious it was going to be one of those games so took the opportunity to introduce myself to each one of the real ales a few times. Suffering today.

Not much to be said about the game other than I think we have just run out of steam.

A great season and really looking forward to next season. Hoping we dont lose too many.

Slightly annoys me that the bad performances are passed off as 'one of those days' or just 'run out of steam'.

We can be critical off woeful performances while also recognising the huge strides taken this season, I'd hope Pardew concentrates on the failings in away performances like yesterday, Wigan, Spurs, Fulham, Liverpool and Norwich, because there were quite a few of "those days" this season, not where we lost valiantly, despite best endeavour, but where we just never showed up at all. You don't improve by looking on the bright side and ignoring it.

Happy as anyone with the overall season, let's kick on and hopefully get some better first team options than Simpson, Williamson, Perch, the Taylors, Obertan, Gosling....

Slightly annoys me that the bad performances are passed off as 'one of those days' or just 'run out of steam'.

We can be critical off woeful performances while also recognising the huge strides taken this season, I'd hope Pardew concentrates on the failings in away performances like yesterday, Wigan, Spurs, Fulham, Liverpool and Norwich, because there were quite a few of "those days" this season, not where we lost valiantly, despite best endeavour, but where we just never showed up at all. You don't improve by looking on the bright side and ignoring it.

Happy as anyone with the overall season, let's kick on and hopefully get some better first team options than Simpson, Williamson, Perch, the Taylors, Obertan, Gosling....

I dont disagree with you, I just dont really want to dwell on it personally.

Sometimes when the same players play as poorly as that its too simplistic just to put it down to tactics or formations etc.

Anyway those of you who want to pick it apart can pick away.

I think Pardew was right in something he said a month or so back. He highlighted that the players that had been brought in so far had mostly been flair "exciting" players. What we now needed were not perhaps as high key but crucial non the less. In other words players to make us harder to score against. The likes of Cisse and HBA could get in to most teams in the league. At the back though Simpson, Perch and williamson would not. We need our back line bringing up to the same quality as the rest. This would make us harder to beat perhaps and we wouldnt have as many games like this one.

Everton deserved the win, but the question rightly is why in some games do we just look so far off the pace. This isnt playing well and getting beat by a better side. this is another Wigan etc where for some reason we just dont turn up in the first half and dont seem to have the ability to come back from a goal down.

I dont disagree with you, I just dont really want to dwell on it personally.

Sometimes when the same players play as poorly as that its too simplistic just to put it down to tactics or formations etc.

Anyway those of you who want to pick it apart can pick away.

I don't dwell on the tactical importance of 4-2-3-1 versus 4-4-2 etc too much either tbh, in a game like yesterday where the front 2 seemed to spoon the ball 50 yards with every touch they had in the first half it's less to to do with getting out the blackboard and working on tactics, more to do with getting on the training pitch and working on the basics of concentration, control, movement off the ball, making space, passing to feet and that...which we know we can do, but just seems to go out of the window whenever we travel to a club in any kind of form.

Pardew and the players get all the credit they deserve when they play well (for the most part this season), the results above tend to be papered over by it though.

Yesterday: fuckin shite.

Season: Brilliant!

Next season:?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????.....looking forward to it with the required amount of trepedation ;)

Edited by PaddockLad

I know we all like to blame the usual candidates but the first was a deflection.

Was the second not Coloccini caught out?

Bit blurry eyed by the third :lol:

I thought we were very poor creatively yesterday.

and who are you blaming for that :scratchchin:

Criminal that Ferguson didn't get on.......

I though he would have been a better bet than Marveaux given he's done ok of late and Marveaux need to get match fit etc.

Too many ales by then so not sure how Marveaux did?

I though he would have been a better bet than Marveaux given he's done ok of late and Marveaux need to get match fit etc.

Oh, much better than Shane.....

Yesterday for me was a chance to get pissed and enjoy myself probably for the last time in a while. Tomorrow I'm in metaphorical rehab. Awful first half, but hey, we've had our best season in a decade so despite the fact we have lost every away I've been to this year I'm not complaining. It's been a blast.

Fergie had played midweek for the international U21s which may explain that. Marveaux looked very promising when he came on. Some lovely touches and he whipped in a couple of fabulous crosses too.