England

LeazesMag

Not sure if anyone has said it above, but Jack Wilshere (assuming he recovers from his injury) is the closest thing we have to a Pirlo. We can build a team around him and ensure shite like Parker never see the 3 Lions again

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if anyone has said it above, but Jack Wilshere (assuming he recovers from his injury) is the closest thing we have to a Pirlo. We can build a team around him and ensure shite like Parker never see the 3 Lions again

I'm really not sure Wilshere is as good as the hype suggested. Arsenal players tend to be overrated at times simply because they play for Arsenal.

I'm really not sure Wilshere is as good as the hype suggested. Arsenal players tend to be overrated at times simply because they play for Arsenal.

Wilshere is class man. Plays totally different to Pirlo mind.

The vast majority of Ronaldo's 30 shots have been nowhere near the goal or glaringly poor misses - it was only the last game against the Czechs where he carried Portugal through.

At least he's making the shots though. How many of those shots arose because he created something out of nothing? How many goals has he scored for Real/scored for Man Utd again?

As much as I hate the diving petulant twat even without considering the fact he's made his name at two of my least favourite clubs, he's proven himself to be arguably the best player in the world, and one of the best of all time. Even if he is performing relatively poorly in front of goal this tournament he's still doing enough to have got Portugal into the semis.

I recall a footy coach coming down and trying to "teach" us by having a game on a full size pitch when I was about 7.

We were just a typical scrum all around the ball kicking and shoving with absolutely no structure offered by the "coach"

He stood amongst us shouting 'FIGHT FOR IT!' "GO FOR GOAL!" "GO PAST YOUR MAN!" before clearly getting pissed off, nicking the ball himself skinning a fat kid, pushing over the kid in gegs and smashing it past the terrified little boy in goal.

You didn't go to blackfell juniors in Washington did you?

England have just gone out of a tournament after a match in which they averaged 36% of the possession and were left trying to make sense of the tragicomedy that accompanies the team's most prolific passer actually being the goalkeeper, Joe Hart. No European country has won a World Cup in South America. To believe England can break that sequence when they are still so desperately short in the fundamentals of taking care of the ball is to believe there are fairies at the bottom of the garden humming the words to World in Motion.

:lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/jun/25/euro-2012-england-ambitions

True enough like, but I don't think anyone actually believes that England can win it anyway.

I dunno, someone on here will by the time it comes around.

Brazil in the quarters, 5-1 tonight lads!

True enough like, but I don't think anyone actually believes that England can win it anyway.

The article made me think of something Parky said yesterday about the powers that be accepting that we'll never win another international trophy again, which may well happen anyway because of the strength of the Premier League. I think theres a will at the FA to change things, but as long as we're playing 38 games a season in the manner in which we do + champions league then we'll continue to be shattered in the second half of games like we were on Sunday, and at most of the other tournaments I can think of.

Think of Brazil in 2002, Romania in 2000, where we lost from winning posistions after the first 45, and other tired second halves where teams were there for the beating and some of our lot were dead on their feet, unable to physically change things because we couldnt keep the ball, which is obviously our other great failing. The two are linked for me, tired minds and bodies will just "hit the big man" with long balls....defenders at this level lap that shit up. I actually thought we played ok in the first half on Sunday, but it was the same old story in the second. Italy have got fuck all up front to speak of, especially in comparison with us, but Rooney's had 6 weeks rest and still looked knackered. Yet again at a summer tournament, players based in the Premier League have failed to shine. France in 02 were World and European champions and didnt win a group game because half their team had played a full season in England. With Zidane playing on one leg as well they were royally fucked.

Something needs changing, the FA want to do it, but, taken with the comparitively small percentage of English qualified players who earn their living in it, the league they set up 20 years ago has basically grown into such an enormously powerful monster that its basically eaten whole any chance of our own national side succeeding on the big stage. But change will be a lot more difficult here beacuse of the sheer power of the PL than it was in Germany as Parky was pointing out yesterday.Good luck to Tevor Brooking & co. they'll fuckin need it.

The recalibration of expectations of the press and Twitterati that allows people to complain, no matter what we do, is frustrating to watch.

We exceeded expectations in the Euro's. We won the group people expected us to get knocked out of. We didn't lose a game. We had the third best goal difference across all of the groups. We have a very limited group of players at the moment, particularly missing players with any attacking flair.

Going from moaning that we won't get out of the groups, and will be lucky to win a point, to moaning that we won't win the competition is progress Hodgson should be happy with.

If it looks like shit and smells like shit it generally is shit.

I didn't see the France game but saw the rest and we cannot even keep the ball for more than a few passes. That's pretty basic stuff. So I vote it was shit.

Its clear we need to move away from the 4-4-2 formation. It has started happening the last few years at club level. You just dont get the flexibility and optionst in a strict 2 banks of 4.

Still, I agree. People are moaning now but quarters was always going to be our limit in my opinion.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Quarters being about where we should be is fine after the dogs dinner Capello left, but we should be aiming for better than that. I don't think we have a divine right to anything, but progress needs to happen quickly if the rest of the footballing world are to be prevented form leaving us behind completely. A limited Italinan side with one very special player made us look mediocre at best. And its been going on decades, with very rare exceptions, without anyone doing anything about it and therefore allowing the press the oppurtunity to ask why the fuck cant we compete at the very top level. It gone on so long, the press criticising the national team in 2012 for things they criticised us for in 1992. Its beyond senseless.

Thats tosh tbh. Greece won a tournament with shite players defending from the back. Portugal are in the Semi's with 1 good player. If you get a shit group you are only 2 games away from the final, and as Chelsea showed against Barca and Bayern, with a bit of luck you can beat 2 or 3 better teams on the bounce.

Quarters being about where we should be is fine after the dogs dinner Capello left, but we should be aiming for better than that. I don't think we have a divine right to anything, but progress needs to happen quickly if the rest of the footballing world are to be prevented form leaving us behind completely. A limited Italinan side with one very special player made us look mediocre at best. And its been going on decades, with very rare exceptions, without anyone doing anything about it and therefore allowing the press the oppurtunity to ask why the fuck cant we compete at the very top level. It gone on so long, the press criticising the national team in 2012 for things they criticised us for in 1992. Its beyond senseless.

Average Italy who had the lead against Spain (who everyone spunks over) and hat to be pegged back for a draw.

Average Italy who had the lead against Spain (who everyone spunks over) and hat to be pegged back for a draw.

Fair one, and I certainly wouldnt be surprised if Italy won the whole thing, but theyve lacked a true cutting edge in all their games but are sat in the semi final. Why? bcause they didnt give us the ball!...its what we dont do, or rather couldnt for the last hour and a quarter of the match. Chelsea and Greece are exceptions rather than the rule in this regard.

Thats tosh tbh. Greece won a tournament with shite players defending from the back. Portugal are in the Semi's with 1 good player. If you get a shit group you are only 2 games away from the final, and as Chelsea showed against Barca and Bayern, with a bit of luck you can beat 2 or 3 better teams on the bounce.

This kid :lol:

If it looks like shit and smells like shit it generally is shit.

I didn't see the France game but saw the rest and we cannot even keep the ball for more than a few passes. That's pretty basic stuff. So I vote it was shit.

:lol: Very well summed up. If you're starting midfielders like Milner and Parker who have the technical ability of a couple of scarecrows, you're not going to win anything.

This kid :lol:

Would you rather have Postiga over Rooney? Meireles over Gerrard? Eduardo over Hart? Cos if we are shit that makes Portugal fucking hopeless. They have never won a tournament in their history

wow, were those random picks from the england team? cause you seem to have picked three of our best players and 3 of their worst

incredible coincidence

Tell me the players who done well for Portugal this tournament? It's a pretty much universally agreed fact that Portugal are where they are BECAUSE of Ronaldo. Nee other fucker has had a shot on target in 4 games :lol:

Bruno Alves is a good player and probably equal to our two centre halves.

Moutinho > Parker

Nani > Milner

etc etc. I think we'd struggle to beat Portugal in our current guise. They may not have superstars like Spain and Germany seem to be boasting but they're a tidy side and definitely worth their place in the semi final. They're hardly shit but they won't win the competition as Spain will be too much for them.