England

LeazesMag

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who is bothered about the tournament this summer, and how much ?

Is anybody going ?

Nope

Not at all

Nope

In all honesty they're so far removed from what I value in football, I literally couldn't give a shit about them. When Hodgson was appointed I was slightly pleased because I think it's at least a nod of the head towards a longer term fix, instead of just installing the current king of short-termism, 'Arry Redknapp.

The only thing that'll get me properly interested is if Hodgson selects a vastly different squad, blooding a lot of young players etc. Otherwise I'll watch the tournament generally but not with any particular interest in England.

Interested by default this summer purely on the basis that football has been great for the first time in years and the season has now finished and this fills a void. Would go as far as to say that I detest England (fuelled by the Cockney press) outside of all competition play, but when the competition's on you want a stake in it and you do want to feel proud to be English.

Won't be arsed if we go out in the group stages this time though, unlike other times.

The only thing that'll get me properly interested is if Hodgson selects a vastly different squad, blooding a lot of young players etc. Otherwise I'll watch the tournament generally but not with any particular interest in England.

Same

and like CT im genuinely more interested in watching France, would like to see NUFC players doing well

the olympics football might be decent mind you. FA have said no players going to the Euros will play in them havent they?

If Hodgson picks the standard squad which everyone expects him to pick then I couldn't be less interested in how England do. Looking forward to the tournament as a whole though, got a tenner on France to win it.

If he takes Terry and we get knocked out, he'll be blamed for 'upsetting the harmony of the dressing room'.

If he leaves Terry and we get knocked out, he'll be blamed for 'not having the man management skills to get them to play together'.

Going to make a special effort to avoid any sort of tabloids this summer, they're the worst thing about the whole England situation.

If the press make it a man management issue, I would hope there's no one dumb enough to buy the idea that playing in a central defensive partnership with the racist abuser of your brother is a solveable man management problem.

Of course there will be like.

I used to love going to the pub when England were playing in my younger days but I think the current bunch of cunts don't make me want to cheer.

Agree with Gemmill about Hodgson btw.

We had a group of players capable of winning a tournament, it's just that each World Cup there are 5-6 other teams that have as well.

Beckham, Scholes, Campbell, Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Lampard and Owen were all players in the top 3 in their positions in the world at some point or other. Just for one reason or another didn't ever really click and maybe some of the other players weren't quite up to the same standard.

Lacked a top drawer keeper for a while which hasn't helped, hopefully Joe Hart be able to play as well for England as he has for City.

I think Hargreaves was good enough to be part of a World Cup winning 11 as well tbh, think it was 2006 when he was an absolute beast, by far and away our best player that tournament.

In other news, if Argentina don't win a World Cup or at a least a Copa America soon with the squad they have at the moment they really will have let a 'golden generation' slip by.

*edit* in response to KCG

Edited by jonasjuice

I used to support England a lot, I went to a lot of games at Wembley between about 1979 and 1985. it was very good, I went with a few other blokes I worked with. Watching Keegan, Brooking etc play was a great experience, England played for a while like a top team with passion, desire and they weren't too detached. I regret not going to the 1982 World Cup when I was a regular England attender and all my booking details etc were held by England and could have applied for tickets to go to Spain.

Now though, I barely give a fuck about it for reasons others have mentioned.

When Woy got the job, my first impression was that he isnt' good enough, but now I think he could be a smarter appointment than given credit for because he has usually done very well with teams that only have mostly average players.

But do England have mostly average players? They could field a team entirely of Man U, Man City and Chelsea first teamers so as far as I can see you have the quality on paper but for whatever reason nobody seems capable of getting them to play as a team.

Edited by TicTacWoe