Davide Santon signs a 5 year deal with Newcastle United

Christmas Tree

Davide Santon likens Alan Pardew to Mourinho

DAVIDE SANTON has likened NUFC boss Alan Pardew's will to win to that of legendary managerial figure Jose Mourinho.

The fresh-faced Italian – who had Mourinho as a mentor during his early years at Inter Milan – has thanked Pardew for helping him adjust to the Premier League, and he goes into tomorrow night’s game with West Bromwich Albion looking to build on his first few games in the Premier League for the black-and-whites.

While he admits there are differences between Pardew and Mourinho’s individual style, Santon admires the fire in the Londoner’s belly when it comes to driving his players on.

Mourinho described Santon as a “phenomenon” during his elevation to the first-team set-up at the San Siro as the pair helped lead Inter to the Serie A title and the Champions League.

Now Pardew is thrilled by the progress of the 20-year-old defender.

Clearly the feeling is mutual and Santon told the Chronicle:

“Alan Pardew and Jose Mourinho are totally different.

“But in their own ways they are very good managers.

“And like Mourinho, the manager at Newcastle has always got that will to win every game and take the club forward.

“I like working with the manager at Newcastle.

“He has placed trust in me and I hope I can return that trust by playing well in the next few games.”

Santon’s advancement to the United first team has not been easy. The player picked up a knee injury early on his Toon career and admits he had to adapt to the English game with life in Serie A not as physical as in the top flight.

Santon said: “I have a great relationship with my team-mates.

“I am enjoying it here.

“I now realise that the game in England is more physical compared to Serie A, and I have adapted to that.

“I feel it’s going well for me.”

One thing that Santon has been urged to retain in his game, though, is his regimented defending.

The player could not be more well grounded when it comes to defensive duty after being brought up on a strict diet of Serie A defending and coming through the ranks with the Azzurri.

Santon, who helped keep a clean sheet against Swansea City, says: “I’m happy because at the end of the day the defence didn’t let any goals in.

“But I realise that against West Bromwich Albion, it must be a better game for us.”

Santon confessed there was still an air of disappointment after the game after the Mags dominated the contest against the Swans without finding the breakthrough.

Santon said: “It was difficult for us afterwards. We know we tried and tried and tried to get the one goal but we didn’t get anywhere.

“Because of that, morale does go down during a game.

“But it means that we must try even harder against West Brom and try even more ways to create some goals.”

And Santon is looking forward to pulling on the black and white in the coming weeks and months after landing a dream move to the Premier League from Inter.

The Italian Under-21 skipper said: “I’m really happy at the moment. The fans are fantastic to me personally.

“I feel that things are going well.”

chron

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan Pardew: Both sides suit ace Davide Santon

ALAN PARDEW has praised the contributions of Davide Santon. The NUFC boss now has options in the full-back area with Santon able to operate on either side of the back four.

He also has Danny Simpson and Ryan Taylor battling for places.

However, after the Italian Under-21 star played his part in the 0-0 draw against Swansea City and scooped the man of the match award, Pardew told the Chronicle: “He can go both ways.

“He can come inside, where he’s slightly strong, but he’ll go on the outside as well and deliver good quality with his left foot.

“I don’t think he’s a one-trick pony.

“He’s got a lot of assets, and I’m hoping he has a big future at the club.”

Pardew knows he has the options to change things but Ryan Taylor missed out against the Welsh side due to a slight knock.

The Scouser faces a late fitness test before the game with West Brom tomorrow but Pardew would not be pressed on who he decides to opt for against the Baggies.

Taylor has been in fine form this season and was a big reason why the Magpies went 11 games unbeaten at the start of the season in the eyes of some sections of fans.

Pardew said: “I thought both full-backs were terrific on Saturday.

“The two Swansea wide players had literally no contribution to the game.”

Pardew felt that Santon linked up well with Jonas Gutierrez: “Santon, in terms of our home fans seeing him for the first time, saw he’s a front-footed player. He wants to attack.

“He linked well with Jonas – they had some nice combinations – and that really bodes well going forward.”

Chron

I've never heard a single supporter voice the oppinion that Raylor is a big reason for our start to the season like.

I thought Santon looked excellent in the second half on Saturday but it has to be said that Swansea offered nothing going forward.

I've never heard a single supporter voice the oppinion that Raylor is a big reason for our start to the season like.

I thought Santon looked excellent in the second half on Saturday but it has to be said that Swansea offered nothing going forward.

You have people on this very forum arguing that we are indebted to Obertan for our fine start to the season.

''Davide Santon likens Alan Pardew to Mourinho''

“Alan Pardew and Jose Mourinho are totally different.

:lol:

Seriously speaking, name me five people on here who would fail to do a better job than Lee Ryder at the Evening Chronicle, in terms of grammar and the actual content of what he reports.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised this fella hasnt had a bit more discussion after Wednesday. At times I thought he looked sheer quality going forward and was only let down by his over eagerness.

Early days but I wonder if he is going to offer us even more going forward than Enrique did?

Early days but I wonder if he is going to offer us even more going forward than Enrique did?

Not if he plays on the left.

When have you seen him play on the right?

I was very happy with his performace on Weds night. He looked mint and I think a couple of times when he got too far forward rapey told him to chill and then we didnt see him get too far forward after that.

Certainly should be starting every game from now on tbh

Not if he plays on the left.

When have you seen him play on the right?

He's right-footed so I'm going to assume he'll come inside much more than Enrique did. Enrique was comfortable staying wide and putting balls in. In terms of actual assists, you'd assume Enrique > Santon.

Not saying he's isn't a significant attacking threat.

I really don't think it makes that much difference to be honest. He hasn't seemed entirely dependant on his right so far and he seems to have improved on youtube videos from a few years back where it may have looked the case.

He's been bought for the left back position so I'm not going to get worried about how he plays on the right - although it's nice to have the options.

Additional to this his crossing has been very impressive anyway.

Aye, he's been quite good over the last couple of games and looks the player we bought for 5 million. Long may it continue. R. Taylor at LB just wasn't working out and he looked much more natural out on the wing on Wednesday.

Plus Enrique looked shite for years before we got proper performances out of him. That doesnt make it any easier to take that he went (it makes it harder if anything as we'd persisted with a bobbins player only to lose him after he came good), but at least Santon is showing some quality at an earlyish stage.

Did very well against Man Utd imo. He does look predominantly right-footed though. Not a massive problem but I do think he'd be more comfortable at right back purely on that basis.

Did very well against Man Utd imo. He does look predominantly right-footed though. Not a massive problem but I do think he'd be more comfortable at right back purely on that basis.

Imagine we had kept carroll & enrique. Santon on the right enrique on left Carroll and ba up front arfa cabaye tiote colo. Absolutely mental team

Edited by harrynufc

Imagine we had kept carroll & enrique. Santon on the right enrique on left Carroll and ba up front arfa cabaye tiote colo. Absolutely mental team

Aye but we wouldn't have signed Santon or Ba if we'd kept Enrique and Carroll ;)

Plus Enrique looked shite for years before we got proper performances out of him. That doesnt make it any easier to take that he went (it makes it harder if anything as we'd

persisted with a bobbins player only to lose him after he came good), but at least Santon is showing some quality at an earlyish stage.

Is this a piss take?

Last season Ricky was arguably our best player. As he was the season before and as he was in at least the second half of the relegation season.

His first season he had a few wobbles but even then he had a lot of bright points.

This whole myth about him being shite when he first arrived is comical tbh.

With regards to Santon, he's impressing more and more but I agree that he'll be more effective at rightback. He certainly looked that way against Blackburn.

Thing is with having two right footers playing on the left is that the opposing team could just shut them out coming inside and just show them on the outside which could be a downfall of not having a right foot/left foot combo down the left.

Footballs easy, isn't it?

Nani and Valencia should have torn him apart, but they didn't. Although Valencia had abit of a 'mare hats off to Santon for dealing with Nani, can only think of once off the top of my head when Nani got the better of him.

Oh and Enrique was wank when he first came here. :lol: