Davide Santon signs a 5 year deal with Newcastle United

Christmas Tree

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the nice stuff that's being written about this kid is true, why is he (i) coming here with (ii) seemingly no interest from anyone else. Genuinely confused.

Read the article, think it's on this thread somewhere.

Mourinho had said: “Santon is simply a phenomenon.

“At Inter we knew he could play against almost any team in Serie A.

“He is the type of player who could become the new Maldini or Zanetti over the next few years, I am sure of that.

“He needs a manager who can stand by him.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-u.../#ixzz1WabyxhR7

:D

Gemmill, you could ask the same about Cabaye. £4.8m or whatever looks like a complete steal, why weren't there better clubs in for him?

I still don't understand why there weren't more clubs in for Jose at £6m but for whatever reason these things happen.

Wondering why Mourihno didn't buy him :D

“He is the type of player who could become the new Maldini or Zanetti over the next few years, I am sure of that.

Gemmill, you could ask the same about Cabaye. £4.8m or whatever looks like a complete steal, why weren't there better clubs in for him?

I still don't understand why there weren't more clubs in for Jose at £6m but for whatever reason these things happen.

Maybe something to do with just signing a LB for 21mil

Thought the wink would've sufficed like. However, if you want to pretend I was being serious, surely, the new Zanetti / Maldini being available for £16m less would've been better purchase. I suspect Mourinho was just talking the kid up a bit though. JM seems to be a very good man-manager so maybe this lad is the sort who needs to be bigged up. His comments about him needing a manager who can stand by him also suggests that might be the case. Lets hope his missus isn't introduced to ours.

Lovenkrands was great as well, considering he cost nothing.

Obertan was exactly what you’d expect from a player who cost £3m, if that’s what we paid. Inconsistent and lacking in footballing intelligence. Showed flashes of adequacy but generally had no impact on the game.

He wasnt inconsident, he had a stuttering start and grew into the game, he used the ball well and when his passes didnt hit their target (12 out of 42), these were mainly in the final third (8 our of 12). You cant criticise his impact as he created the second goal with a good pass to Ba.

His best stat from Sunday was 14 tackles, 7 won, 7 lost. Thats more tackles won than Cabaye and the same as Tiote. Against Sunderland (a tighter more competitive match) Barton made 4 tackles and won 3.

Just sayin.

It's funny of people of both sides of the divide, so to speak, will continue to live by their initial impressions of a player. Not sure if it's purely down to stubborness or just a desperate need to be proven 'right' or a bit of both.

Ant, why do you say he's better on the right? Was that where he was playing when on loan or early in his Inter games?

Both and for Italy, even played right wing for Inter at one stage.

For inter he was switched sides purely on who was injured, why he got so many games for them, he'll basically fill in where needed.

Bit like Fabio for man.u, really he's a left back, he's left footed, but he can play at the right if he has to, but he's better on the left.

vice versa for Rafael.

like a lot of players dribbles crosses passes tackles with his right, he can use his left, but will 98% of the time drag it back or get it onto his right.

Which is awful when defending and playing on the wrong side (tackling wise).

edit > i didn't watch that video i've prob watched a lot of the games featured in it anyway, but i'd lay odds on the clips of him playing on the left he drags it back and does stepovers etc to get it back on his right for crosses and tackles

Have to say, a propensity to put it on his right in order to put a cross in is a minor issue for me. I'm a bit old fashioned in that I'm not really arsed about how a full back attacks, I just want one that can defend. I think people can get carried away with things when a full back bombs on, it's a bonus but it's nothing compared to being composed, defensive and comfortable on the ball.

Too early to judge anyone until we get someone who can put the ball in the net. Once the midfield have faith in who is ahead of them, they will gamble more on extra runs etc improving the overall creative.

At the moment their is rightly still a lot more caution in their play.

It's funny of people of both sides of the divide, so to speak, will continue to live by their initial impressions of a player. Not sure if it's purely down to stubborness or just a desperate need to be proven 'right' or a bit of both.

I haven't really seen the guy play - although I'd heard of him.

''The Milan guy'' on Twitter who's Milan correspondent for ESPN seems to think he's a very promising player who has no business at Newcastle :D

Thought the wink would've sufficed like. However, if you want to pretend I was being serious, surely, the new Zanetti / Maldini being available for £16m less would've been better purchase. I suspect Mourinho was just talking the kid up a bit though. JM seems to be a very good man-manager so maybe this lad is the sort who needs to be bigged up. His comments about him needing a manager who can stand by him also suggests that might be the case. Lets hope his missus isn't introduced to ours.

Speaking of Mourinho aparently Drenthe is to be left out of his 25 man squad, according to Graham Hunter this morning.

Or desperation on parts of others to prove them wrong :D

I haven't really seen the guy play - although I'd heard of him.

''The Milan guy'' on Twitter who's Milan correspondent for ESPN seems to think he's a very promising player who has no business at Newcastle :D

Was more in relation to Sniffer / Obertan. There's some other examples too :D

Speaking of Mourinho aparently Drenthe is to be left out of his 25 man squad, according to Graham Hunter this morning.

They were saying it looked like he'd be without a club this season due to his shitty attitude. I saw him playing for his Dutch club(Feyenoord?) and the Duth u-21's years ago and he's an absolute quality footballer.

If this kid is as good as hes being made out then great signing but Im in the same camp as Gemmill and Ant here, if hes so good then why arent Inter keeping him or for that matter, Cesena making a bid? or any one of a dozen Champions League/ UEFA teams?

Interested to know what it is we're using to sell the club to these players to make them pick us over Roma? Because even the most deluded of fans cant see us as being a better team to choose? Although the ultimate benchmark on that front is CT.

The fact others arent rushing for him (a la Ben Arfa) and his dodgy injury record (a la Ben Arfa) makes him a gamble, as most Ashley signings are. Hopefully this one will come good.

Still, Im assuming that to get to medical stage then we've already concluded the personal terms so the sticking point of us not paying the going rate isnt a problem.

Overall though, I'll take a risky gamble over the prospect of no signing at all.

If this kid is as good as hes being made out then great signing but Im in the same camp as Gemmill and Ant here, if hes so good then why arent Inter keeping him or for that matter, Cesena making a bid? or any one of a dozen Champions League/ UEFA teams?

Interested to know what it is we're using to sell the club to these players to make them pick us over Roma? Because even the most deluded of fans cant see us as being a better team to choose? Although the ultimate benchmark on that front is CT.

The fact others arent rushing for him (a la Ben Arfa) and his dodgy injury record (a la Ben Arfa) makes him a gamble, as most Ashley signings are. Hopefully this one will come good.

Still, Im assuming that to get to medical stage then we've already concluded the personal terms so the sticking point of us not paying the going rate isnt a problem.

You read that article?

Fair point on Cesena by the way, maybe they can't afford him or something.

They were saying it looked like he'd be without a club this season due to his shitty attitude. I saw him playing for his Dutch club(Feyenoord?) and the Duth u-21's years ago and he's an absolute quality footballer.

Who was the other Dutch kid who played in the U21 tournament,looked good and went to Blackburn? Forgot his name

Sold to him:

1.Promise of first team football

2.Premiership

3.Match his wages

4.Newcastle great club blah blah

Other (top) clubs not interested:

1.Not a current starter for Inter

Pretty much it I reckon.

By Rob Stewart and Kris Voakes

It cannot be easy when you are compared to one of the greatest players your country has ever seen, and it is fair to say Newcastle United-bound Davide Santon failed to deal with the pressure that comes with being hailed the new Paolo Maldini by Italians during his days with Inter.

It was an impossible act to follow but when he first broke into the Inter first team he was hailed as the next Maldini. The similarities were all there. The elegant stride. The cool, calm and collected manner. The bravery in the tackle. The comfort at which he took to the job on the left side despite being right-footed. There was little to suggest Santon didn’t have the talent to become the next great Italian full-back.

He was snapped up by the San Siro outfit from Ravenna at the age of 14, after having impressed their scouts when he played at youth level. Quick to make the progression through the ranks at the Centro Sportivo Giacinto Facchetti, Santon joined the first team squad on their summer training camp in Brunico in 2008 when still only 17.

It was a little after his next birthday that he was given his debut in the first team, giving an assured performance in a 2-1 Coppa Italia win over Roma at San Siro, and four days later he made his league bow in a 1-0 victory against Sampdoria.

The early performances won him the praise and support of coach Jose Mourinho, who backed his youngster in allowing him to face up to Cristiano Ronaldo in a Champions League last-16 tie. Though he struggled initially to contain the dazzling runs of the Portuguese, no damage was done in the first leg as Inter held out to draw 0-0. The 2-0 defeat in the return could in no way have counted as a black mark against the youngster.

By the summer of 2009 he had already racked up 20 league and cup appearances, collecting a Serie A winner’s medal along the way, and while a few technical issues had reared their head, they were nothing one wouldn’t have expected from an 18-year-old in his rookie season. His form even won him his first Italy cap against Northern Ireland that June.

But the following season did not start well. Suddenly, he was not quite so convincing. In one particular game after coming on at the break against Palermo his inability to cope with the pace and direct running style of Abel Hernandez was a large factor in Inter almost squandering a 4-0 half-time lead, before a late Diego Milito goal sealed a 5-3 win.

Weeks later, he suffered his first major injury in damaging the meniscus in his right knee, and when he returned it wasn’t for long. Unable to train with his team-mates as he suffered pains in his knee once more, a second operation ended his season.

But after speculation last summer that his future lay elsewhere as a result of his inability to nail down a first-team place, he managed a decent run either side of the Christmas period in 2010-11. However, this was simply a mask as to the issues he was having, and when he was run ragged for a second successive season by Palermo in January – resulting in his substitution at half-time – it took coach Leonardo no time to offer him to Cesena on transfer deadline day 24 hours later.

The 20-year-old – a close friend of Manchester City player Mario Balotelli during their Inter days - made 11 appearances as Cesena reached their goal of survival in Serie A, but his spell didn’t go without its problems, as he once again found himself coming up short against more direct styles of play.

His downward curve has been mirrored on the international stage too. With seven caps in total, and only two in the last 22 months, he has under-achieved so far, and has been used largely as a right-back when representing the Under-21 side partly to ward off attacks on his weaker left side along the touchline.

As well as injuries, his career lost momentum due to the emergence of Maicon and Cristian Chivu in Inter’s full-back berths and now he has been completely surplus to requirements following the arrival of Japanese international full-back Yuto Nagatomo this summer.

There is, though, hope for Santon. He is, after all, still only 20 years old and Newcastle manager Alan Pardew, who prides himself on his coaching abilities, will fancy his chances of getting the best out of the player on the training ground.

Plus, Newcastle owner Mike Ashley only wants up-and-coming players with a re-sale value so the St James’ Park hierarchy will be confident that the best is yet to come from Santon.

Graham Carr, the father of British comedian Alan Carr, is Newcastle’s chief scout and he will have not left anything to chance before recommending Santon to his paymasters who are on the look-out for a new defender following Jose Enrique’s move to Liverpool.

The chance to start plying his trade away from the Italian spotlight will give Santon the opportunity to silence his critics and resurrect a career that promised so much.