Davide Santon signs a 5 year deal with Newcastle United

Christmas Tree

Ant, are you saying that it's Pardew who identifies the target players then? I'd agree and would say that having been identified by the manager some scouting and reporting would have gone on though Carr on the player. For the younger recruits who are not ready for the first team I would say Carr is 100% responsible. Just my hunch though.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not even a question that Tiote was signed on Graham Carr's recommendation it's a fact, and I'd guess he'd have been responsible for Marveaux and Cabaye. It's not just a question of ah he's canny, watching a few video's, Carr sounds like he's been in France talking to people all last season and watching them, because March time last year Pardew kept piping up "Noocarthew have identified targets and in France our reputation is sky high with top players straining at the leash to sign for us", Carr will have been fundamental in that, and I mean who's ever fucking heard of Miagi or whatever from Sochaux, I haven't -0 Graham Carr will have been looking at these all year. I guarantee it. He's been a brilliant asset for the club.

Lahm is a better left back than right back, according to a lot of journos. Similar to myself, only I'm fucking mint.

The more I watch of Santon as a LB the more I am convinced he'd be even better at RB. :lol:

Looks quick, strong and tall.

It's not even a question that Tiote was signed on Graham Carr's recommendation it's a fact, and I'd guess he'd have been responsible for Marveaux and Cabaye. It's not just a question of ah he's canny, watching a few video's, Carr sounds like he's been in France talking to people all last season and watching them, because March time last year Pardew kept piping up "Noocarthew have identified targets and in France our reputation is sky high with top players straining at the leash to sign for us", Carr will have been fundamental in that, and I mean who's ever fucking heard of Miagi or whatever from Sochaux, I haven't -0 Graham Carr will have been looking at these all year. I guarantee it. He's been a brilliant asset for the club.

I'd echo your sentiments and add that Carr seems to have identified players that we can get on the cheap. I'm thinking in particular about the clauses in Cabaye and Ba's contracts which meant we only paid about £4.5m for the pair of them.

Re. Santon, probably the most exciting signing we've made since maybe Jonas/Coloccini, perhaps even before the Ashley era.

Aye, and re: what Ant said, pretty much anyone could come up with a 'list' fair enough, but it'll be more to do with getting out there and exercising a judgment as to whether they're going to be right for the Prem or not given the differences in i. styles of play and ii levels of play (quality). That's likely to require a more considered review of their performances.

Don't disagree at all fwiw mate, I just don't know how realistic it is to get the established Prem players in if you stick to a very rigid to a wage cap. I think it's essentially that which drives us to other markets.

I think all thats for certain is we will see turnover of our better players and, irrespective of how we're doing at any given time, that is going to fuck the fans off such that even if we did see some progress up the league, it will probably be difficult to truly enjoy.

I think that where you see the wage cap as being the reason they move on I see it as the means for Ashley to ensure it happens. Irritatingly though, when the inevitable transfers come the fans fight among themselves with one side taking the "greedy fucker" stance while the others see it as an inevitability.

Dekka and Ash meanwhile laugh all the way to the bank.

Gut instinct, but I would also add that it probably assists that a player knows they've been actively scouted. Gives them the right impression about the club doing their homework from the start and it's a compliment at the end of the day. Got to be better than phone calls out of the blue with a youtube soundtrack playing in the background.

Gut instinct, but I would also add that it probably assists that a player knows they've been actively scouted. Gives them the right impression about the club doing their homework from the start and it's a compliment at the end of the day. Got to be better than phone calls out of the blue with a youtube soundtrack playing in the background.

:lol:

Totally agree with your other post above too about the role of the scout in terms of an overall assessment of character a d the ability to adapt to the premiership, the team, living in the toon etc. There has got to be a long list of targets which once identified as good players (quite easy) need to be assessed as overall purchases against their likely valuation.

Ant, are you saying that it's Pardew who identifies the target players then? I'd agree and would say that having been identified by the manager some scouting and reporting would have gone on though Carr on the player. For the younger recruits who are not ready for the first team I would say Carr is 100% responsible. Just my hunch though.

nono what i'm saying is saying the scouting team "found" Santon and went to look at him like is he worth signing is stretching it, every man and there dog knows the likes of Santon, Pastore, Ganso, Neynar etc are good players up and coming and have done for a while.

It's like signing Ben Arfa, we all knew who he was, we all knew he was a player, we got him cause no one else wanted him due to the problems etc.

What i'm getting at is our scouts are scouting players everyone already knows about and knows they're good, sorry ya don't get credit for that, fuck sake i can do that.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...mp;#entry902018 i brought up Santons name in May, along with Sahin and others (granted mocking deano)

pretty sure i did it long before then as well but cba searching for it, does that make me a scout? does it fuck.

Great bit of business but frankly makes no sense to me, does anyone else agree like?

£5m quid for a soon to be 1st choice italian international imo, from one of the strongest teams in serie.a how the fuck were we the best option if he's fully fit and theres no weird buy back clauses in this deal.

VDV went to spurs last season, no-one saw that coming. I'll stick my neck out and say that much like that transfer, we may have been the only club willing to take a punt at signing him.

It seems our emergency plan is to throw bids at any young full back and hope for the best. In Santon's case, Inter were willing to sell and the player wanted first team football. He's been described as a level-headed and down to earth guy, so maybe he just wants a shot at regular first team football? I'm sure he'd realise too that we're a selling club, so put in a season or two's worth of good performances and his career will benefit.

We're an improvement over Cesena anyway tbh (not that a club like Cesena could afford to spend £5million on a player mind), and Roma were reportedly interested. The same Roma who living off a past reputation (much the way we are). It wouldn't be hard to recruit a young lad like Santon when we already have a team that is blooding youngsters left, right and centre.

Your comments on scouts are a little harsh. Their job is not only to search out young talent, but to also identify which of the manager's suggestions are worth signing. Souness signed Ali Dia based on reputation and look what happened. You think Ferguson signed De Gea just because he'd heard of him? A player can have all the ability in the world, but through scouting you can see him week in, week out. How he conducts himself on the pitch and off it, how he interacts with teammates.

We signed Kluivert because he was good. We signed Owen because he was good. Sure not every scouted player will come good, but I'd feel a lot better about signing someone who we've observed for a while than knee jerk signings based on reputations that may no longer hold stead.

Several words describe this signing; Unbelievable, Brilliant, Ambitious, Surprising, Suspicious.

Unbelievable: This kid is a genuine wonderkid of European football. He has been dubbed the new Maldini and could genuinely step into any Serie A club he wished, including most European giants.

Brilliant: We obviously need a left back so to replace the wantaway Enrique with a player with the potential to be better than him, for a lesser fee, is truly incredible. He can also play at right back so Simpson better start upping his game because Raylor is on fire.

Ambitious: This signing sends a message loud and clear to European football; NUFC are still a big club. Any future signings will look twice at NUFC as a genuine possibility to play their football just by looking at this signing as well as Ben Arfa and Cabaye. Signing a 20-year-old wonderkid is nothing but ambitious and very impressive for all the NUFC fans to lick their lips over.

Surprising: As I have already said, this kid could genuinely make it in any team he wanted in his native Italy, he is this highly praised. 'New Maldini' is a tag given to him by the highest of pedigree such as Jose Mourinho and Marcelo Lippi, which is high praise indeed. Also given the fact 99% of Italians usually stay 'home' within the Serie A and if they were to leave it would only be to a European Giant like Man Utd, Barcelona or a Bayern Munich, the fact NUFC have pulled this off is very surprising to say the least.

Suspicious: Not to put a downer on this but you have to ask the question 'Why?' has a young Italian 'wonderkid' decided to leave one of Italy's giants to come to NUFC. The obvious answer must be; The Premier League. Our league is genuinely the biggest in Europe and can draw the best of players to it. Another answer must be 'Wages'. You can assume we have gave this lad the maximum we can in regards to wages which is widely accepted as £50k a week. So for a 20 year old lad to get this for 5 years is an obvious pulling tool.

It's worth noting that if this kid is to fulfil his potential then their is a threat he will outgrow our football club if we continue to be a mid-table side. So he could be using NUFC as a stepping stone in his career for a bigger move later on in his career. It is known that he was dropped from the team at Inter and has been criticised in certain games so he may need this fresh new challenge to resurrect his career. To be honest, even if he is just using NUFC as a stepping stone....I am not complaining! If he matches his potential in a Black n White shirt (that isnt Juventus) I am more than happy. Bring it on.

It's also worth noting that NUFC have 'invested' in this boy. They know full well given his age, reputation and the transfer fee, that if he does leave us one day.....he will leave for a hell of a lot more than £5million!

I am glad we have finally got a full back in and the fact it is Davide Santon who all Football Manager players know is something very special indeed, I am surprised but over the moon!

Finally a signing that matches the 'policy' NUFC insist on feeding us. Now, a striker needed please!! You have 24 hours!