Davide Santon signs a 5 year deal with Newcastle United

Christmas Tree

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half time at Whitley Park:

Newcastle Res 4 Norwich City Res 0

Today (Tuesday) sees Newcastle get their home Premier Reserve League season underway, when their Norwich City counterparts make the journey to Tyneside.

And the Magpies had a warm welcome in store for their visitors from Norfolk, finding the net no less than four times in the first half of the game.

Dan Gosling converted an 11th minute penalty following a trip on Shane Ferguson, before Greg McDermott shot home to double the advantage three minutes later - new boy Davide Santon opening up City down the left.

And by the 21st minute United had gone further ahead, Ryan Donaldson squaring the ball from the right flank for Michael Richardson to fire past Remi Matthews.

A rare raid from the Canaries on 25 minutes then saw Jay Murphy beat Steve Harper - only for a linesman's offside flag to deny him.

Six minutes before the interval United made it 4-0 when Dan Gosling grabbed his second of the game, heading home a right wing centre from McDermott.

The Magpies include Davide Santon along with first team squad players James Perch, Danny Guthrie, Dan Gosling, Ryan Donaldson and Shane Ferguson. There's also a rare sighting of Tamas Kadar.

NUFC: Harper, Kadar, Santon, Dummett, Perch, Richardson, McDermott, Guthrie, Ferguson, Gosling, Donaldson. Subs: Soderberg, Folan, Moyo, Edmundsson, D.Taylor.

While United have one point from their only fixture so far thanks to a 1-1 away draw with Wolves, the Canaries have played three games to date.

Beginning with a 0-0 draw against Blackburn, City then beat Everton 2-1 on home soil before losing 2-4 to West Bromwich Albion in Norfolk last week.

Presume Perch on the Right, Santon on the left.

Edited by Happy Face

My mate's just text me as he's at the reserve game right now. He reckons Santon is absolutely tearing it up.

My mates texted me the exact same thing, his initials aren't CL by any chance?

Nah - He's a Double M. :lol:

My mate's just text me as he's at the reserve game right now. He reckons Santon is absolutely tearing it up.

My mates texted me the exact same thing, his initials aren't CL by any chance?

Nah - He's a Double M. :icon_lol:

Apparently Gosling actually looking decent up front too :lol:

6-0 ft

Kadar RB and Perch in the middle? :lol:

Kadar must be preferred as cover for Simpson.

;)

I'm glad to hear Kadar still exists, as i wasn't sure! He can cover CB and LB and to me he always looked like a kid who has a shot at being good enough so hopefully he can show Pardew he's worth considering. However worryingly i read some quotes from Pardew who thinks Perch is best as a centreback so he can provide cover there! I'm not disputing he may be better at CB than fullback, the problem is he is a collossal liability in any position so i don't want Pardew thinking he can cover any position.

According to the mail this deal has now been agreed.

Toon make breakthrough in full-back chase after agreeing deal for Santon

Newcastle United have agreed a £5million deal for Inter Milan full-back Davide Santon.

Manager Alan Pardew has turned to the 20-year-old Italy international after hitting a snag in negotiations over PSV Eindhoven defender Erik Pieters.

Santon can play either side and has progressed through the ranks at Inter.

Meanwhile, Newcastle are considering signing Czech goalkeeper Petr Bolek on a season loan.

The 27-year-old from Slovakian side FK Senica also has an offer from Leyton Orient but is wanted as cover for Tim Krul and Steve Harper.

Bolek will take part in a few training sessions with Newcastle before the club decide to pursue the move.

All of the players we have signed this summer have been absolute masterstrokes, none of them will go missing when it rains or snows, Graham Carr is a genius in the mould of Peter Taylor and NUFC will win the Champions League in 5 years time for an outlay of 2m quid on a bunch of African schoolkids.

Santon is a good signing like - apparently he was a cut above today for the reserves.

Wait & see, I think most people would like an ambitious board who would spend money & compete but at the moment these two clowns don't want to spend a penny - even after recouping loads!

Still I'm looking forward to seeing this lad play for us, tall pacey full backs tend to be rare!

Newcastle United have agreed a £5million deal for Inter Milan full-back Davide Santon.

Manager Alan Pardew has turned to the 20-year-old Italy international after hitting a snag in negotiations over PSV Eindhoven defender Erik Pieters.

Meanwhile, Newcastle are considering signing Czech goalkeeper Petr Bolek on a season loan.

The 27-year-old from Slovakian side FK Senica also has an offer from Leyton Orient but is wanted as cover for Tim Krul and Steve Harper.

Bolek will take part in a few training sessions with Newcastle before the club decide to pursue the move.

All of the players we have signed this summer have been absolute masterstrokes, none of them will go missing when it rains or snows, Graham Carr is a genius in the mould of Peter Taylor and NUFC will win the Champions League in 5 years time for an outlay of 2m quid on a bunch of African schoolkids.

So how many pints did you down tonight then?

So how many pints did you down tonight then?

5th most pissed in his local.

Rumours has it that it snows and rains in Italy and France too. :lol:

• 3 months later...

Alan Pardew: Both sides suit ace Davide Santon

ALAN PARDEW has praised the contributions of Davide Santon. The NUFC boss now has options in the full-back area with Santon able to operate on either side of the back four.

He also has Danny Simpson and Ryan Taylor battling for places.

However, after the Italian Under-21 star played his part in the 0-0 draw against Swansea City and scooped the man of the match award, Pardew told the Chronicle: “He can go both ways.

“He can come inside, where he’s slightly strong, but he’ll go on the outside as well and deliver good quality with his left foot.

“I don’t think he’s a one-trick pony.

“He’s got a lot of assets, and I’m hoping he has a big future at the club.”

Pardew knows he has the options to change things but Ryan Taylor missed out against the Welsh side due to a slight knock.

The Scouser faces a late fitness test before the game with West Brom tomorrow but Pardew would not be pressed on who he decides to opt for against the Baggies.

Taylor has been in fine form this season and was a big reason why the Magpies went 11 games unbeaten at the start of the season in the eyes of some sections of fans.

Pardew said: “I thought both full-backs were terrific on Saturday.

“The two Swansea wide players had literally no contribution to the game.”

Pardew felt that Santon linked up well with Jonas Gutierrez: “Santon, in terms of our home fans seeing him for the first time, saw he’s a front-footed player. He wants to attack.

“He linked well with Jonas – they had some nice combinations – and that really bodes well going forward.”

Chron