Robert to Benfica?

Scottish Mag

The Newcastle United winger has been on loan at Portsmouth but has failed to impress at Fratton Park and is set for a new challenge.

Harry Redknapp will have been particularly infuriated by the substitute's decision to waste a late free kick at Blackburn Rovers on Monday night with a shot that ended up in the crowd, when Pompey had piled players forward in a desperate bid for an equaliser.

The former Paris Saint Germain star seems certain to move on and Benfica have emerged as favourites to snap him up.

"I have received contact from Benfica," Robert's agent Willie McKay told maisfutebol. "We are analysing the situation because there are other clubs interested.

"It is possible that the player will go to Benfica."

The 30-year-old's arrival could hasten the departure of captain Simao Sabrosa, with Liverpool known to be firm admirers of his talents.

Newcastle need to agree the length of any deal with Benfica, although it is possible that it will initially just be a loan arrangement until the end of the season.

Robert to fail to impress an unprecendented four managers in the space of a year ;)

73268[/snapback]

5 if you count Joe Jordan. :rolleyes:

73271[/snapback]

Would it be unfair to include the French national coach?

Would it be unfair to include the French national coach?

73289[/snapback]

;) Grossly! Almost as bad as including the top 4 Premiership managers he was so sure would be in for him...so that's 10.

Whilst i still feel he is a lazy, stroppy bastard at times.

I would still rather Robert on the left wing to fucking Shola..

73294[/snapback]

Rather have N'Zogbia than either tbh.

fickle fans who were happy with him when he was here rearing their ugly heads again

....... and donning the usual rose tinted specs © towards his replacement

fickle fans who were happy with him when he was here rearing their ugly heads again

73313[/snapback]

More shite from you I said years ago I hated the cunt.

73313[/snapback]

More shite from you I said years ago I hated the cunt.

73315[/snapback]

Ditto. I'd had enough of him probably a season and a half to two seasons before we finally got shot.

nice to see you back Alex, didn't you get a pc for xmas yer tight bugger ...

73317[/snapback]

I'm thinking of buying one actually. Surely it's nice for you lot to get a break from me now and again though ;)

nice to see you back Alex, didn't you get a pc for xmas yer tight bugger ...

73317[/snapback]

I'm thinking of buying one actually. Surely it's nice for you lot to get a break from me now and again though ;)

73322[/snapback]

just think of all the extra work you'd get done

73313[/snapback]

I'll swap you these rose-tinted specs for that trendy mind-reading helmet you've obviously got for Christmas.

73313[/snapback]

I'll swap you these rose-tinted specs for that trendy mind-reading helmet you've obviously got for Christmas.

73325[/snapback]

I wonder of Leazes will come on here and admit he was wrong when Taylor doesn't turn out to be England captain ;)

73313[/snapback]

73325[/snapback]

I wonder of Leazes will come on here and admit he was wrong when Taylor doesn't turn out to be England captain ;)

73328[/snapback]

does anyone disagree with me....just to get it out of the way ?

73333[/snapback]

About ugly heads? Yeah, you can have that one.

Marseille at home was the straw that broke the camels back for me with him. Biggest game we've played in years, crowd massively behind the team, and he couldn't be fucking bothered. So I decided I couldn't be either.

73313[/snapback]

73325[/snapback]

73328[/snapback]

73333[/snapback]

Yes, he'll never be England captain. Decent, committed but ultimtately overrated player. IMO like.

73313[/snapback]

73325[/snapback]

73328[/snapback]

73333[/snapback]

Yes, he'll never be England captain. Decent, committed but ultimtately overrated player. IMO like.

73347[/snapback]

at the very least he'll be capped a lot.....you can't tell if a better captain will come along.

Do you see him as a future captain of Newcastle ? We don't get many coming through the youth team, Steve Howey was the last good defender, and he was almost sold because he was at first a shit centre forward

Whilst i still feel he is a lazy, stroppy bastard at times.

I would still rather Robert on the left wing to fucking Shola..

73294[/snapback]

Rather have N'Zogbia than either tbh.

73307[/snapback]

I'm happy with N'Zogbias contribution this season. Probably the only bright spot so far.

Still I think we shouldn't have got Robert without signing a direct replacement offering natural width (which should have been easy as Robert is sooo crap).

73313[/snapback]

73325[/snapback]

73328[/snapback]

73333[/snapback]

73347[/snapback]

You just have to think about Terry and Woodgate in the same age and you'll see that some people must wear rose tinted specs to think he will ever be a regular English international...

73313[/snapback]

73325[/snapback]

73328[/snapback]

73333[/snapback]

73347[/snapback]

at the very least he'll be capped a lot.....you can't tell if a better captain will come along.

Do you see him as a future captain of Newcastle ? We don't get many coming through the youth team, Steve Howey was the last good defender, and he was almost sold because he was at first a shit centre forward

73355[/snapback]

I never rated Howey that much and I don't think Taylor will win many caps (if any) just my opinion though. Hope I'm wrong like. He could well turn out to be a captain of whatever team he ends up playing regularly for (hopefully us) as he has the right attitude and he seems to be a good talker/organiser. In fairness to him, he could do with a decent partner to fulfil his potential at the Toon.