Robert to Benfica?

Scottish Mag

I never rated Howey that much and I don't think Taylor will win many caps (if any) just my opinion though. Hope I'm wrong like. He could well turn out to be a captain of whatever team he ends up playing regularly for (hopefully us) as he has the right attitude and he seems to be a good talker/organiser. In fairness to him, he could do with a decent partner to fulfil his potential at the Toon.

73372[/snapback]

I thought Howey was superb apart from his Woodgatesque injury problems. The potential of Taylor is there for all to see, but it's a bit too early to judge imo.

I never rated Howey that much and I don't think Taylor will win many caps (if any) just my opinion though. Hope I'm wrong like. He could well turn out to be a captain of whatever team he ends up playing regularly for (hopefully us) as he has the right attitude and he seems to be a good talker/organiser. In fairness to him, he could do with a decent partner to fulfil his potential at the Toon.

73372[/snapback]

I thought Howey was superb apart from his Woodgatesque injury problems. The potential of Taylor is there for all to see, but it's a bit too early to judge imo.

73382[/snapback]

I always thought that Peacock and Albert were the best central defence partnership during the KK years.

I think Taylor has potential, far more than Ramage IMO. Taylor is fairly quick, tall, strong, committed, with a good teacher he could learn a lot if he has the brain to match the brawn.

Ramage's only chance is if he's a clever defender because he's slow, not very tall, not strong, isn't great at timing tackles and is very poor on the ball.

I think Taylor has potential, far more than Ramage IMO. Taylor is fairly quick, tall, strong, committed, with a good teacher he could learn a lot if he has the brain to match the brawn.

Ramage's only chance is if he's a clever defender because he's slow, not very tall, not strong, isn't great at timing tackles and is very poor on the ball.

73463[/snapback]

I think that's unfair like. I agree about the lack of pace / height but I think he times his tackles quite well (plus he's still very inexperienced) and I think in recent weeks he's shown himself to be pretty decent in possession.

I'll go even further and say he'll be better than Zico Hughes. Beat that.

73484[/snapback]

He'll be better than Robbie Elliott and Shola :)

I'll throw an even bigger spanner into the works and say I've been more impressed with Ramage in his limited amount of games than I was with Taylor when he first came on the scene.

73471[/snapback]

Isn't Ramage several years older than Taylor though?

I'll throw an even bigger spanner into the works and say I've been more impressed with Ramage in his limited amount of games than I was with Taylor when he first came on the scene.

73471[/snapback]

Isn't Ramage several years older than Taylor though?

73498[/snapback]

A couple of years (I think) he has less first team experience though.

fickle fans who were happy with him when he was here rearing their ugly heads again

....... and donning the usual rose tinted specs © towards his replacement

73313[/snapback]

I'll swap you these rose-tinted specs for that trendy mind-reading helmet you've obviously got for Christmas.

73325[/snapback]

I wonder of Leazes will come on here and admit he was wrong when Taylor doesn't turn out to be England captain :)

73328[/snapback]

does anyone disagree with me....just to get it out of the way ?

73333[/snapback]

Yes, he'll never be England captain. Decent, committed but ultimtately overrated player. IMO like.

73347[/snapback]

You just have to think about Terry and Woodgate in the same age and you'll see that some people must wear rose tinted specs to think he will ever be a regular English international...

73366[/snapback]

John Terry was almost sold to Huddersfield [under Steve Bruce] for 700 grand when he was younger.

73372[/snapback]

73382[/snapback]

I think Howey was top class too, and think taylor is the best central defender we've had since, hence the optimism.

73372[/snapback]

73382[/snapback]

I always thought that Peacock and Albert were the best central defence partnership during the KK years.

73400[/snapback]

Peacock and Howey for me

73463[/snapback]

I agree, that's pretty much the same as I see him. He's going to have to learn to read the game really well to make up for those failings you list.

Portsmouth winger Laurent Robert is believed to have flown to Lisbon to open talks with Benfica.

Benfica are reported to have agreed a deal with Newcastle for Robert and have been given the green light to open negotiations with the Frenchman.

Robert is currently on a season-long loan at Portsmouth from Newcastle after he fell out with Magpies boss Graeme Souness.

The former Paris Saint Germain ace has endured a difficult time at Fratton Park and has failed to establish himself in the side.

Pompey boss Harry Redknapp is believed to be willing to let Robert cancel his loan spell so that he can find a permanent move away from Newcastle.

Benfica could now offer Robert a move to Portugal and are thought to have had an undisclosed bid accepted by Newcastle.

The Portuguese giants are keen to bolster their squad as they continue their assaults in their domestic league and UEFA Champions League in the New Year.

Robert's agent Willie McKay revealed a deal had been agreed between both clubs and that a deal could be close to being done.

"We met and reached an accord quickly and in England the conditions are accepted by Newcastle that have been offered by Benfica," said McKay.

fickle fans who were happy with him when he was here rearing their ugly heads again

73313[/snapback]

I for one was not happy with him when he was here, and I said so many times...

Marseille at home was the straw that broke the camels back for me with him. Biggest game we've played in years, crowd massively behind the team, and he couldn't be fucking bothered. So I decided I couldn't be either.

73337[/snapback]

Same here - he just didn't seem to care what it meant for us...

73313[/snapback]

I'll swap you these rose-tinted specs for that trendy mind-reading helmet you've obviously got for Christmas.

73325[/snapback]

I wonder of Leazes will come on here and admit he was wrong when Taylor doesn't turn out to be England captain :)

73328[/snapback]

does anyone disagree with me....just to get it out of the way ?

73333[/snapback]

Yes, he'll never be England captain. Decent, committed but ultimtately overrated player. IMO like.

73347[/snapback]

You just have to think about Terry and Woodgate in the same age and you'll see that some people must wear rose tinted specs to think he will ever be a regular English international...

73366[/snapback]

John Terry was almost sold to Huddersfield [under Steve Bruce] for 700 grand when he was younger.

73594[/snapback]

Proof please?

Birmingham City boss Steve Bruce, who once almost signed John Terry for £700,000, has claimed that the England central defender is now 'unbuyable'.

Bruce was manager of Huddersfield Town when he came close to tying up a deal with the then Chelsea manager Glenn Hoddle for an 18-year-old Terry.

The move fell through at the 11th hour with Huddersfield unable to raise the fee but Bruce has kept tabs on the player since and believes he can be a future England captain.

Bruce said: “I nearly bought John Terry when I was at Huddersfield.

“I agreed a fee with Glenn Hoddle of £700,000 and I couldn’t do it in the finish because the funds weren’t quite available - so I bought Chris Lucketti instead.

“I had been tracking Terry for a while. That happened when he was 18. Now what we see is a lad that maybe all the younger players should follow.

“He’s had his troubles but he has grown up quickly and has become for me the most influential part of the Chelsea side because he leads by example.

“He has a huge presence, is a captain in his own right and I’ve got the utmost respect for the way he plays and handles himself.

“He’s got all the credentials to be a future England captain because he is a bit like a Patrick Vieira and a Roy Keane.

“He has got that influence on people. He’s 24 and he must have a chance of being a future England captain.”

Bruce continued: “John Terry is a Tony Adams type - he is the one that pulls people altogether.

“Chelsea look as if they have got a great spirit and that is down to him.”

The Birmingham boss added: “I would think Terry would be unbuyable now.

“The likes of John Terry come along very rarely - people who play week-in and week-out, are tough as they come and are top class.

“He is the real deal. If he has maybe got one flaw, he maybe lacks that one yard of pace but, with everything else in his game, he certainly makes up for it.”

Edited by Jonny2J

Cheers...

I wasn't necessarily doubting it, I just wondered where the info had been plucked from - what was the source?

73678[/snapback]

i just Googled it mate and pieced it from somewhere, i do actually remember hearing Bruce talk about this before.... as apparantly Vialli didn't rate Terry