Newcastle United - 7th largest fanbase in England?

On FIFA 12 when you first load up the game you are asked which team you support and this is then linked to your online profile.

Total number of fans on FIFA 12 Support Your Club on PS3

Premier League

1. Manchester United – 707,680

2. Arsenal – 601,749

3. Liverpool – 339,226

4. Chelsea – 316,017

5. Manchester City – 170,781

6. Tottenham Hotspur – 100,632

7. Newcastle United – 73,624

8. Aston Villa – 43,098

9. Leeds United – 36,257

10. Everton – 32,681

11. West Ham United – 32,312

12. Sunderland – 18,413

13. Wolverhampton Wanderers – 17,209

14. Birmingham City – 15,063

15. Stoke City – 12,573

16. Nottingham Forest – 12,454

17. Swansea City – 12,011

18. Southampton – 11,285

19. Middlesbrough – 11,009

20. West Bromwich Albion – 10,820

Championship

1. Blackburn Rovers – 10,512

2. Leicester City – 10,376

3. Norwich City – 10,374

4. Cardiff City – 9,526

5. Portsmouth – 9,401

6. Bolton Wanderers – 9,130

7. Fulham – 9,113

8. Sheffield Wednesday – 8,849

9. Queens Park Rangers – 8,663

10. Derby County – 8,181

11. Sheffield United – 6,500

12. Crystal Palace – 6,448

13. Ipswich Town – 5,947

14. Coventry City – 5,305

15. Millwall – 5,162

16. Hull City – 5,070

17. Brighton & Hove Albion – 5,032

18. Reading – 4,941

19. Wigan Athletic – 4,371

20. Bristol City – 4,236

21. Charlton Athletic – 4,229

22. Barnsley – 3,986

23. Burnley – 3,874

24. Blackpool – 3,827

League One

1. Huddersfield Town – 3,081

2. Watford – 2,884

3. Preston North End – 2,799

4. Plymouth Argyle – 2,777

5. Bradford City – 2,462

6. Swindon Town – 2,431

7. Peterborough United – 2,388

8. Bristol Rovers – 2,098

9. Bournemouth – 2,092

10. Doncaster Rovers – 2,074

11. Oxford United – 1,954

12. AFC Wimbledon – 1,885

13. Crawley Town – 1,850

14. Gillingham – 1,832

15. Southend United – 1,718

16. Notts County – 1,539

17. Rotherham United – 1,496

18. Stevenage – 1,491

19. Shrewsbury Town – 1,487

20. Milton Keynes Dons – 1,462

21. Port Vale – 1,460

22. Chesterfield – 1,452

23. Accrington Stanley – 1,389

24. Oldham Athletic – 1,368

League Two

1. Carlisle United – 1,368

2. Northampton Town – 1,293

3. Walsall – 1,260

4. Exeter City – 1,237

5. Brentford – 1,181

6. Torquay United – 1,135

7. Tranmere Rovers – 1,080

8. Hartlepool - 1,051

9. Yeovil Town - 1,046

10. Scunthorpe United - 1,026

11. Crewe Alexandra - 1,013

12. Aldershot Town – 970

13. Burton Albion – 938

14. Cheltenham Town – 936

15. Bury – 924

16. Rochdale – 902

17. Leyton Orient - 887

18. Colchester United - 880

19. Hereford United – 865

20. Macclesfield Town - 852

21. Wycombe Wanderers - 816

22. Dagenham and Redbridge - 742

23. Barnet - 718

24. Morecambe – 556

It would be interesting to know how this is calculated.....cant see Arsenal having twice the fanbase of Liverpool tbh.

It's global.

As an inherently racist institution (and perennial league underachievers) LFC are struggling to maintain their global brand as much as Africa friendly Arsenal.

[/b]

is exactly how it's calculated, might as well rename it "how many ps3 fifa 12 owners have picked these teams"

for example, on the xbox it lists me as an AC Milan supporter, why did i choose them?

because when i go into head to head seasons i don't want to have to scroll to italy, and then to milan, so when you say you support them they're the default selected team.

Good grief....this is a "play game" rather than a football manager type thing?...

As part of the sample this would be all selections regardless of where the 'supporter' is? In other words based on international Fifa 12 players alone we are the 7th most popular English Football Club.

Should be in the gaming section.

Suprised Man City aren't top, thats the only team I seem to run into when I play head to head.

sod off im not having this nonsense on my turf! :razz:

As part of the sample this would be all selections regardless of where the 'supporter' is? In other words based on international Fifa 12 players alone we are the 7th most popular English Football Club.

but, as any stated, for the most part you set that to whichever club you tend to play as since theyre then your default side

so were actually more likely to be the 7th most popular english club people on fifa 12 prefer to play as

this has got to rank up there as the stupidest first post I have ever seen

What a load of pish. This is global and it has no baring on anything. People playing FIFA are likely to be young doilums for starters, secondly there's NEE WAY ON EARTH, in England which is where it counts, Tottenham, Man City (?!) or Chelsea have a bigger true fanbase than us. It's ridiculous to say they have in my view. I've seen people using facebook, and twitter stats, to support their arguments. Everybody knows the truth, of proper fans i.e. people who could name more than 10 of their players, we're fourth at worst.

What a load of pish. This is global and it has no baring on anything. People playing FIFA are likely to be young doilums for starters, secondly there's NEE WAY ON EARTH, in England which is where it counts, Tottenham, Man City (?!) or Chelsea have a bigger true fanbase than us. It's ridiculous to say they have in my view. I've seen people using facebook, and twitter stats, to support their arguments. Everybody knows the truth, of proper fans i.e. people who could name more than 10 of their players, we're fourth at worst.

what criteria is a "true fanbase" under and how could you measure it?

why does only fanbase in england count? if thats the case why do clubs strive to extend their fanbase globally so much?

I can name ten players for, probably most/all of the PL and Burnley obviously, at least 4 spanish teams, couple of german ones, some italians, some french

and the thing is, I can do that because 1. I love football in general and 2. I play games like fifa and football manager, they might be considered bollocks when people are saying "yeh this guys great hes an 80 on fifa" but names of players? please

It's global.

As an inherently racist institution (and perennial league underachievers) LFC are struggling to maintain their global brand as much as Africa friendly Arsenal.

Unsure how much the African market is worth to Prem clubs (in terms of spend) but I think Stevie's previously mentioned the 'Africa friendly Arsenal' point and it's an interesting one certainly in as far as Briitish African's are concerned. If it does become an important revenue stream in future I hope Kenny, Luis and LFC have done enough this season to alienate Africans from Klanfield for many, many years to come. It'd be great if they lost further ground that way.

Like it or not, the game IS global now.

They pan out pretty much how I'd expect - the recently more successful clubs, who have had more global exposure, are up there at the top.

They might be limited to younger fans, as it's FIFA players, but there's a huge sample in there so it gives some indication of where we stand around the world.

I found them interesting figures, so thanks for posting them.

what criteria is a "true fanbase" under and how could you measure it?

why does only fanbase in england count? if thats the case why do clubs strive to extend their fanbase globally so much?

I can name ten players for, probably most/all of the PL and Burnley obviously, at least 4 spanish teams, couple of german ones, some italians, some french

and the thing is, I can do that because 1. I love football in general and 2. I play games like fifa and football manager, they might be considered bollocks when people are saying "yeh this guys great hes an 80 on fifa" but names of players? please

True fanbase to me is they support the club for reasons other than "they're good". People who are emotionally involved, who have at least 3 waking thoughts about the club a day. Not someone who likes Rooney, or likes Liverpool's kit, or because they still think their favourite Japanese player is at Fulham. That's not a fanbase. The core of your fanbase is people who are willing and able to go and watch the team play.

It's pretty obvious why clubs strive to increase their worldwide support, money. Cardiff City's ploy to wear red shirts sums it up. If someone in Malaysia is sat there now, but will support Cardiff because of the Malaysian connection, in 10 years time they're not part of the fanbase. Not in my eyes, they're just attaching themselves to a sporting organisation, in the same way wanks do who wear New York Bulls caps.

True fanbase to me is they support the club for reasons other than "they're good". People who are emotionally involved, who have at least 3 waking thoughts about the club a day. Not someone who likes Rooney, or likes Liverpool's kit, or because they still think their favourite Japanese player is at Fulham. That's not a fanbase. The core of your fanbase is people who are willing and able to go and watch the team play.

so, again, how do you measure that?

attendance is limited by the size of the ground and there are plenty of glory fans who go to games

or are we all supposed to trust in your opinion as fact?

It's pretty obvious why clubs strive to increase their worldwide support, money. Cardiff City's ploy to wear red shirts sums it up. If someone in Malaysia is sat there now, but will support Cardiff because of the Malaysian connection, in 10 years time they're not part of the fanbase. Not in my eyes, they're just attaching themselves to a sporting organisation, in the same way wanks do who wear New York Bulls caps.

But without money Stevie....................................................

Getting back to the opening post. Where is the evidence for this, and why would you post it 345am on a Friday morning? He/she did the same simultaneously on other NUFC forums.

Getting back to the opening post. Where is the evidence for this, and why would you post it 345am on a Friday morning? He/she did the same simultaneously on other NUFC forums.

well he's cracked, there is literally no good reason to do this

the numbers are available through fifa iirc though

As has been said, it's from FIFA ffs. How good/how fun to play as the team is on the game is the biggest factor in a lot of peoples choices. My 'favourite team' was down as Valencia for a couple years when they had Silva and Villa, cause I often played with them so it was quicker to get into a game that way.

If next year Chelsea are rated lower than Tottenham then the numbers will swing dramatically in Tottenham's favour, you really can't take anything of much meaning from this.

so, again, how do you measure that?

attendance is limited by the size of the ground and there are plenty of glory fans who go to games

or are we all supposed to trust in your opinion as fact?

The only facts in this thread are that out of everyone who has bought that computer game, the group who say they support Newcastle are the 7th largest out of those who claim to support one of the 92 English clubs. This obviously doesnt count purchasers in England who say they support a foreign team and you can't judge a fanbase on who buys a computer game and who they claim to support on there (see Ant's post for details)