Freddy Shepherd

dougiew

Hi folks,

I'm a Rangers fan first and foremost, though Newcastle are my English team. Anyway, heard a rumour today that Shepherd is involved in the consortium to buy us. I've heard nothing but bad things, so I was wondering if anyone could offer any reassurance whatsoever that he's not a totally bad guy? :D

Best of luck tomorrow too; about time the Champions League came back to St. James'.

Hi folks,

I'm a Rangers fan first and foremost, though Newcastle are my English team. Anyway, heard a rumour today that Shepherd is involved in the consortium to buy us. I've heard nothing but bad things, so I was wondering if anyone could offer any reassurance whatsoever that he's not a totally bad guy? :D

Best of luck tomorrow too; about time the Champions League came back to St. James'.

Can't reassure you, sorry

BTW I think your club is screwed, even without the debt (which appears insurmountable) there's the EBT dual contract thing to get over, 75 players they reckon over more than ten years all playing whilst inelligible. Even if the SFA don't have balls, UEFA will have.

No football creditors rule up north either !!

I would find it interesting if it was true - he played a lot on being a Newcastle fan which despite everything else I always believed so being involved with someone else would be a bit strange. I would presume he would be in it for the money and I could only see that being quite a long term thing with Rangers.

Can't the old man just retire? After the few health problems he's had why on earth would you throw your time/energy/money at that?!

He probably misses the limelight. After all it must be hard only having a mansion over the road from Jesmond Dene House.

Can't reassure you, sorry

BTW I think your club is screwed, even without the debt (which appears insurmountable) there's the EBT dual contract thing to get over, 75 players they reckon over more than ten years all playing whilst inelligible. Even if the SFA don't have balls, UEFA will have.

No football creditors rule up north either !!

It's difficult to not post a 1,000 word reply, but the jist of it is that time has pretty much run out. We genuinely need some sort of miracle at the moment to save our club! Gutted isn't even how I would begin to describe it, can honestly say I wouldn't even wish this on a celtic fan.

Anyway, cheers for the feedback lads, and good luck tomorrow :)

If Fred comes in you're still fucked but it'll just be dragged out over a much longer period of time whereby he'll make ridiculous pronouncements in the media, he'll undermine your managers and he'll still find a way to cream off millions of quid in spite of the fact the club is haemorrhaging cash. Sorry.

Hi folks,

He's not totally bad, you did feel he wanted the club to be as successful as possible he just didn't have much of a clue how to go about it once Freddie Fletcher (former Rangers man) left, after making a complete mess of sacking and replacing Bobby Robson he had no idea how to turn it around so threw money the club didn't have at trying to fix it which left us up against it financially.

He also had scams like buying a warehouse off the club cheap and then renting it back, I can't remember the figues but it was something like he purchased it for £300k from the club and was renting it back at £100k a year.

So to summarise he took over a club that was 2nd in the league, one of the best teams around and £40 million in the bank from the float and left a decade later when we were 13th, had a shit squad on massive wages, had mortgaged everything we could and was hemorrhaging money.

But we did have 3 good years under Sir Bobby to be fair to him, until he started selling players behind his back and undermined him by telling everyone he wouldn't get his contract renewed with 12 months still to run.

Edited by Baggio

Good post Baggio. Things were going well until he sacked Robson then he genuinely seemed lost how to turn it around. Souness, Roeder and Allardyce, say no more.